The Quest for Home Ice vs Boston

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Isn't it 100 times more likely that the Bruins overpass Tampa for first place and the Leafs remain in third place, than the Bruins slip into third?

Missing their #1C and top D pairing, I doubt the bruins catch anyone.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I am not scared of Boston at all. We have beaten them 3/4 times, all without Matthews and the time we did lose was our 3rd game in 4 nights.

As Daisy said, all we have to do is split in Boston and take it home to Toronto where we can control our destiny. In Boston, worst case scenario is Matthews and Bergeron neutralize each other and than we will just let our depth go to work.

I cant wait for the playoffs to start!

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I must say it's really cool to hear that! It's not the only thing I've heard either, from time to time I hear good things being said about the Toronto Maple Leafs. It's sure it nice to once again be respected around the league.

Im still not used to the leafs praise and them actually being good. For my entire adult life the leafs have been garbage and now that they're actually good im still kind of in shock

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Boston needs to slow down for this to happen. They are 5 points ahead with 2 games in hand. However we have the easier (on paper) schedule. It's possible, but very remote.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am not scared of Boston at all. We have beaten them 3/4 times, all without Matthews and the time we did lose was our 3rd game in 4 nights.

As Daisy said, all we have to do is split in Boston and take it home to Toronto where we can control our destiny. In Boston, worst case scenario is Matthews and Bergeron neutralize each other and than we will just let our depth go to work.

I cant wait for the playoffs to start!

I think we have a shot for sure. Boston does not "scare" me, it's just that I think it will be a tall order beating them 4 times in the playoffs. The core that won the Cup is still there, they still know how to get it done in the playoffs while the Leafs are still learning. There is a chance they are going to school us. Even our vets don't have that much experience in the playoffs.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Of course Saturday go be a big step towards that. Having Tampa beat Boston in regulation and a win by us over the Habs closes the gap to 3 points and 2 games IH.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Vs Bottom-6 Teams (BUF, ARZ, VAN, OTT, DET, MTL)

TOR: 15gms, 9-6-0, 18pts, +7gdiff (.600pts%, +0.47gdiff/gm)
BOS: 19gms, 15-3-1, 31pts, +25gdiff (.816pts%, +1.32gdiff/gm)

Vs Everyone else

TOR: 56gms, 33-16-7, 73pts, +28gdiff (.652pts%, +0.50gdiff/gm)
BOS: 50gms, 29-14-7, 65pts, +28gdiff (.650pts%, +0.56gdiff/gm)

TOR: 5 games remaining against bottom-6
BOS: 1 games remaining against bottom-6

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I think we have a shot for sure. Boston does not "scare" me, it's just that I think it will be a tall order beating them 4 times in the playoffs. The core that won the Cup is still there, they still know how to get it done in the playoffs while the Leafs are still learning. There is a chance they are going to school us. Even our vets don't have that much experience in the playoffs.

Good point but i dont think we can under value how important losing in the playoffs last year was for our young guys. It taught them what it takes and against a much more fearful opponent then Boston

Arguably, Boston will have more rookies in their lineup come this playoffs then we will. They have Mcavoy who has 59 games of nhl experience as their top RHD.

I also think we will have 2 x factors- Matthews will be fully rested. Last year he publicly stated that he was exhausted from so much hockey, starting with the draft combine/rookie camp/world cup etc. And, Marner wont be coming off a bout of Mono.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Sorry for the spam of replies here. Boston plays Tampa and Florida 3 times each still, in fact the only team that are not currently in a playoff/playoff bubble spot that they play is Ottawa, they do play St. Louis but they are still very much 'on the bubble' for a playoff spot.

On the other hand we play Montreal and Buffalo twice more as well as Detroit and the Islanders. We do have games against Tampa, Nashville, Florida, New Jersey and Winnipeg as games again playoff/playoff bubble teams.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good point but i dont think we can under value how important losing in the playoffs last year was for our young guys. It taught them what it takes and against a much more fearful opponent then Boston

I'm pretty sure you meant to say that you don't think we can overvalue the playoff experience we got - I agree. Some people didn't like spending that 2nd round pick but if that's what got us into the playoffs, it's well worth it right about now as I like our chances against Boston a LOT better because we now have that experience.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The only way to pass Boston is to plant that seed in their head, and the only way IMO to do that is to win 3 in a row while they lose 3 in a row. That makes their games in hand very important to them, and that is where you might catch them stumbling.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Boston: 25-7-4 at home, 19-10-4 away

Toronto: 24-8-2 at home, 18-14-5 away

Ideally we probably do want to get home ice, but I think we'll win either way

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm pretty sure you meant to say that you don't think we can overvalue the playoff experience we got - I agree. Some people didn't like spending that 2nd round pick but if that's what got us into the playoffs, it's well worth it right about now as I like our chances against Boston a LOT better because we now have that experience.

thats the wordage i was looking for lol. Friday am i right.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Boston: 25-7-4 at home, 19-10-4 away

Toronto: 24-8-2 at home, 18-14-5 away

Ideally we probably do want to get home ice, but I think we'll win either way

right. like that series imo would be one of the best of the playoffs irregardless of the outcome. the key won't be home ice so much but who buckles first at home, and i think for the Leafs, it might behove them to actually start on the road get a few extra days away from Leafsanity; Playoff Edition.

Reactions: Loosie

weems

Jul 3, 2008
With their injuries and crazy hard schedule they could easily go 2-8 or 3-7 in their next 10 games.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
right. like that series imo would be one of the best of the playoffs irregardless of the outcome. the key won't be home ice so much but who buckles first at home, and i think for the Leafs, it might behove them to actually start on the road get a few extra days away from Leafsanity; Playoff Edition.
The match up thing is huge in the playoffs, especially if there are injuries, because you can really exploit match ups and even more so with shortened benches. Also, if it is a close series, having possibly 2 elimination games (game 5 and 7) at home is huge.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Home ice went up in smoke during the losing skid centered around the outdoor game debacle.

The Bruins are a very good team, and I don't think fans around here are properly acknowleding how good they are - this is not a good matchup for the Leafs
Plenty of people are acknowledging them.

They rely far too much on one line, that will be their downfall in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad