The Punisher - Netflix

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
:laugh: like I said earlier people were gonna find a way to find the show boring.

Kind of amazing to me. I'm not sure what more they really could have done to make it more exciting. The show was fantastic with lots of action from start to finish. Maybe it wasn't all huge fight scenes and that kind of action but it was a fast paced show from start to finish.

Easily the best thing Marvel has done on Netflix.
Yeah some of the complaints really are mind boggling to me....It's rare when you find people honestly complaining that a show wasn't mindlessly violent and action packed....just to be violent and action packed. It is one of those scenarios where this show really couldn't win it seems. If they went full out direct Punisher adaption it would have run to campy(in my opinion) and would be extremely hard to take seriously. The took the more grounded approach, while still having the great action and gun fights....but fit it into a good show. I mean it isn't Emmy worthy stuff but it is far far better then anything from Marvel on Netflix other then maybe the 1st season of Daredevil.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
:laugh: like I said earlier people were gonna find a way to find the show boring.

Kind of amazing to me. I'm not sure what more they really could have done to make it more exciting. The show was fantastic with lots of action from start to finish. Maybe it wasn't all huge fight scenes and that kind of action but it was a fast paced show from start to finish.

Easily the best thing Marvel has done on Netflix.

I mean, when its one or two people saying it, sure. When its a 50/50 split on people thinking the show was boring or not... well, perhaps where theres smoke there is fire. While on its own it might be a fine show, but as a Punisher series, I guess there is a certain expectation for action and violence. I'm 5 episodes in, and we've seen maybe 10-20 minutes of asskicking.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Guess I'm in the minority too but I thought it was boring as hell. 13 episodes and the actual Punisher was in what, 2 1/2 maybe? Hardly any punishment went on other than a few brief spurts of violence.

Not a terrible drama but that wasn't the Punisher. I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10.
Definitely agree with you. Overrated.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Honestly, I don't think any of the villains in these Marvel shows have been all that compelling. Although I still haven't watched Jessica Jones or Defenders yet.

Overall, I enjoyed this more than Iron Fist or Luke Cage. I was fine with Frank going full Punisher for only a couple of episodes. If he did it in every episode I think the sheer brutality in the last couple episodes might not have worked as well.

Jessica Jones was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
On episode 11,holy f*** is this show good!

Did not know that was Shane until about half way through the second episode.

Shane got cut!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I rather liked this series.

Most of the characters were interesting and I actually liked the villains. It delved into the PTSD of returning soldiers and connected well to Castle's backstory.

I think they also managed to turn the Punisher into an actual individual as opposed to a caricature.

I had a few gripes but they are what happens when you try to mesh tactical combat with comic book characters:

1. Whenever large numbers of enemy forces converge on Castle, they never use flash bangs or even explosive grenades, which is sort of the whole point of pinning someone down behind some cover.

2. Every random character in the show gets head-shotted with pinpoint accuracy but the main characters are hit in the center of mass over and over again.

3. The Punisher's healing factor is out of this world.

But hey, it's about entertainment.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Finished this the other night.

Preface: This is way more violent than anything I would normally watch - people on this forum who I played Destiny with thought it was hilarious when I complained about how violent Winter Soldier was, and also thought it was hilarious when I complained about the violence in Logan.

This show was terrific. The Punisher is not my favorite character in the Marvel/Netflix universe, but I think he's the most interesting character by a mile. He was the best part of Daredevil's 2nd season (this series makes me want to go back and re-watch that, which I didn't think I could stomach).

I think Dinah was the weakest link for what dumb decisions she made at several points. Still, I found myself rooting for her too.

Bernthal was really good. The tension between Frank and Karen was palpable. I liked really liked Micro and was happy to see him get a more or less happy (at least for one of these shows) ending.

Some of the gripes people have are easily written off to this being a comic book character for me.

All that's to say, I thought the show had something to say. Important topics about violence, gun culture, the way we treat veterans, PTSD... It made me think about some of those things in a way I haven't before. I think the same is true of Jessica Jones, to a lesser degree though. To the extent that a show about a comic book character can say something important, this one does.

One more thing: I'm not sure what it says about me that I could not bear the thought of watching
Frank's eyes get gouged out, but I was so ready to see Rawlins die that gruesome death.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Just finished rewatching the whole season. Something that I noticed this time around was almost every time Castle got shot it was in his right shoulder. I don't know if this is some inside joke from the comics otherwise it's one hell of a coincidence.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Intermittently watching this one. Saw the first few episodes, then decided to watch Daredevil to catch up on everyone's backstory. Finally made it through that slog, now back to Punisher.

Like Jon Bernthal as the lead. Can see Shane as a squirrely vet, though can do with fewer flashbacks of his family.

Micro's getting annoying. Dude, shave.

Some little moments of humour that I liked. Like when they're in the van on a stakeout, Frank digs into his army rations and Micro pulls out a hoagie wrapped in tinfoil. "What?! Where's mine?!" "Hey, all this stuff was in the fridge..."

Slow going, though. Okay summer viewing when there's nothing else on.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Just finished this and I loved it. So much better than Jessica Jones. It’s incredible what some decent side characters can do for a show. I liked Micro and Castle. I really liked the overall theme of PTSD and it’s effect on people. It was slow at times but I didn’t know the punisher’s backstory so I was fine with them really diving into that a lot.

I liked Russo more than most in this thread I think. He wasn’t a perfect villain but he felt fairly realistic to me. Someone else mentioned it, but yeah the punisher must have some serious healing power after getting shot like ten times in this series. He and Matt Murdock must have the same drug dealer.

Reactions: Hypernova

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don’t care that much for the other Marvel characters. I would prefer they do more crossovers with Daredevil and Punisher. Iron Fist, JJ, and Cage all have powers that are just so lame to me. They’re like strong but not amazingly strong like a Captain America type? Idk just feels like a thousand superheroes are like that and unoriginal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad