The Punisher - Netflix

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
4 episodes in now. I have no idea why critics were so mixed on this show. It's pretty damn fantastic. So far better then anything else Marvel has done on Netflix at least through 4 episodes.
Yup I am not sure if people are just carrying through there feelings from LC and The Defenders on this one and not really giving it a true chance or what because to me this is better then Jessica Jones and up there with Daredevil.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm 5 in and loving it. I didn't know if I'd like the changes to Micro but I don't mind them in the end except the part about him not being a weapons expert. He is normally the guy that provides Castle with both information and weapons, some of which are of his own design. I also am grateful to the shows creators for using it as a way to show PTSD and the plight of those who suffer from it. It is done in a way that fits well into the show so far.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Through 9 or 10 at this point.

Just want to say, that it's amazing what good acting can do for these Netflix/Marvel shows. DD season 1 has D'Onofrio, and it's amazing. JJ season 1 has Tennant, and he carries. DD season 2 has Bernthal, and here we are.

Luke Cage Spoiler
First half has Mahershala, and it shows when he's gone

I think this show has two very strong leads in Bernthal and Moss-Bachrach. Schulze is no slouch either, as one of those guys who you have seen in a million places, and can hold his own.

Bernthal is just perfectly cast as The Punisher.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just finished the series.

Good god those last 3 episodes are some of the best things Marvel have done either in the movies or Netflix.

Very excited to see where they go from here with The Punisher. They have a lot of directions to take this character. He's the perfect candidate for the first crossover from Netflix to the movies IMO or vice versa and bring Spider-Man into a couple Netflix episdoes(Though I think that is much less likely).

Reactions: GoneFullHextall

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
4 episodes in now. I have no idea why critics were so mixed on this show. It's pretty damn fantastic. So far better then anything else Marvel has done on Netflix at least through 4 episodes.

I suspect the gun stuff, given all that has happened recently, clouded the judgement of some reviewers - making them a lot "harder" than they normally would be.

I started and finished it Saturday... loved it. I will watch it again as I binged it hungover on my couch and didn't give it 100% attention (had planned myself a gamer day, watched the first one while I ate lunch and just kept going until I was done at 1 AM). Agreed with many comments: Bernthal was bone to play that character, he's great at it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Finished. Probably my second favorite Marvel/Netflix season behind DD season 1.

I thought the final showdown between Russo and Frank was kind of cheesy, but it made sense. Jigsaw for season 2, I suppose.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Easily the best Marvel/Netflix show. Better than DD Season 1 imo.

I didnt like how he defeated Agent Orange, though I supposed it did make sense considering the building tension between Orange and Russo. Its kinda of weird how easy Frank killed him. You would think Frank would have taken his time killing the man most responsible for his family's death.

I didnt like how there wasnt a final scene with Frank and Sarah. I thought they had some great scenes together given what they have both gone through, and how alone they feel so alone. I felt like they needed to have some sort of resolution between them given how big of a role Frank was playing in their lives, albeit for a short period of time.

Reactions: Hypernova

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
As someone who doesn't know a lot about the Punisher,
it was a real "ohhhhhhhhhhh" moment when he started effing up Billy's face.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm reading tons of good comments about the show from you folks, but I've only watched the first 3 episodes and all three I've basically been bored out of my mind. Maybe it picks up the pace, or maybe its just not for me - but this is slightly about Luke Cage/Iron Fist level for me so far...

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Just finished it, it was a good show, but it just didn't feel like Punisher to me. Bernthal was great, but there was just too much exposition for my liking.

Russo/Jigsaw was pretty bland for a bad guy as well. Kinda botched his backstory as well with shoving the PTSD/Anti-War/Anti-Gun plot in.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Just finished it, it was a good show, but it just didn't feel like Punisher to me. Bernthal was great, but there was just too much exposition for my liking.

Russo/Jigsaw was pretty bland for a bad guy as well. Kinda botched his backstory as well with shoving the PTSD/Anti-War/Anti-Gun plot in.

Totally disagree with that last part. Comics have always had a certain link to the real worlds and what's going on in the real world and Marvel is well known for their social commentary whether it being the hate of mutants as a surrogate for racism or during their early days the inclusion of Hitler and the Nazis etc.

PTSD is a big talking point these days as we see so many people coming back from Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. suffering from this and not getting proper treatment. It's not new but is more in the light when compared to the Vietnam war, Korean War and the two WW. The gun control plot is also very relevant today and is a kind of opposite of how Frank works.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Guess I'm in the minority too but I thought it was boring as hell. 13 episodes and the actual Punisher was in what, 2 1/2 maybe? Hardly any punishment went on other than a few brief spurts of violence.

Not a terrible drama but that wasn't the Punisher. I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Guess I'm in the minority too but I thought it was boring as hell. 13 episodes and the actual Punisher was in what, 2 1/2 maybe? Hardly any punishment went on other than a few brief spurts of violence.

Not a terrible drama but that wasn't the Punisher. I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10.

So what for him to be the Punisher he has to go around killing willy-nilly during every episode? That might work in a movie but on a tv show where you are building characters it makes no sense.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
So what for him to be the Punisher he has to go around killing willy-nilly during every episode? That might work in a movie but on a tv show where you are building characters it makes no sense.

Not every episode no. But in 13 episodes there was serious action in how few? They could have done this series in 8-10 episodes tops I think. All they did was build character, and they did most of that in Daredevil Season 2.

It was decent, just...boring.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
I Finished the season, it was so-so. Bernthal is a solid punisher but I thought the show really lacked a decent villian. Billy Russo and the actor that played him was the weakest part of the show imo.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I Finished the season, it was so-so. Bernthal is a solid punisher but I thought the show really lacked a decent villian. Billy Russo and the actor that played him was the weakest part of the show imo.

Honestly, I don't think any of the villains in these Marvel shows have been all that compelling. Although I still haven't watched Jessica Jones or Defenders yet.

Overall, I enjoyed this more than Iron Fist or Luke Cage. I was fine with Frank going full Punisher for only a couple of episodes. If he did it in every episode I think the sheer brutality in the last couple episodes might not have worked as well.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Honestly, I don't think any of the villains in these Marvel shows have been all that compelling. Although I still haven't watched Jessica Jones or Defenders yet.

Overall, I enjoyed this more than Iron Fist or Luke Cage. I was fine with Frank going full Punisher for only a couple of episodes. If he did it in every episode I think the sheer brutality in the last couple episodes might not have worked as well.

David Tennant was a great villain.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
:laugh: like I said earlier people were gonna find a way to find the show boring.

Kind of amazing to me. I'm not sure what more they really could have done to make it more exciting. The show was fantastic with lots of action from start to finish. Maybe it wasn't all huge fight scenes and that kind of action but it was a fast paced show from start to finish.

Easily the best thing Marvel has done on Netflix.

Reactions: TheBeastCoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->