Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
How can you not be pulling for this kid?.....all kinds of natural skill and if he was 6 feet instead of 5'6" he'd be on top of the Canuck prospect pool....but if there's anyone who can make it at that size it has to be Palmu.....really wish they'd been able to get him to Utica this year.
Im pulling for him but his skating will need to improve to be a successful in the NHL. I don't think anybody should get too excited yet despite the encouraging signs. It's very tough to make it in a league where teams often scoff at the idea of a small player on the 3rd line even if they are more talented than the 6'2 grinder. It's not really fair but he likely has to make it as a top 6 forward or spend his career in the AHL/Europe.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The advantage Palmu has despite his height is his stockiness. Kid is built like Raffi Torres. If he had an RNH/Yamamoto frame at his height, yeah, he's top-6 or bust.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Mats Zuccarello is another player with some similarities. Very high motor and just relentless on the puck. Mats is superior in this regards, but I think Palmu has the kind of work ethic that will get him there.

The shot is what reminds me of Theo Fluery. These are definately very high targets for him to reach, but he is proving it in a Men’s league that he is no joke. Loved the pick then, and still love it now!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The biggest predictor of NHL success is the ability to step up levels and separate yourself as an elite player immediately - as a guy like Boeser did in North Dakota. Palmu is doing that right now.

Reactions: NuxFan09

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just a point of interest ... someone somewhere said we are like 15th in terms of average age. But the reality is that we have a decent crop coming up - Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, Petterssen, Dahlen, Palmu, Lind and Gadjovich to name a few. And we look average in age because we have a number of older players dragging the number up. In fact we are younger team, with Eriksson, Sedins and Edler moving the posts.

And damn that Eriksson contract is going to be an anchor for years .....

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The biggest predictor of NHL success is the ability to step up levels and separate yourself as an elite player immediately - as a guy like Boeser did in North Dakota. Palmu is doing that right now.
Just a point of interest ... someone somewhere said we are like 15th in terms of average age. But the reality is that we have a decent crop coming up - Boeser, Virtanen, Goldobin, Petterssen, Dahlen, Palmu, Lind and Gadjovich to name a few. And we look average in age because we have a number of older players dragging the number up. In fact we are younger team, with Eriksson, Sedins and Edler moving the posts.

That is probably one of the crappiest "coming up" crops that teams around our age have.

Reactions: timw33

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I agree, the Canucks are a very young team if you don't count all the not young players on the team, and instead replace them with young players who aren't on the team.

They're also a really good basketball team if you remove all the hockey players and instead decide that the Canucks are actually the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I agree, the Canucks are a very young team if you don't count all the not young players on the team, and instead replace them with young players who aren't on the team.

They're also a really good basketball team if you remove all the hockey players and instead decide that the Canucks are actually the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls.

you do understand my point relative to statistical calculations, don't you. The Canucks have more outliers statistically than would be expected. the average NHLer is what? 27 or 28? You would expect therefore, assuming a Poisson distribution, that you would have a curve centered around that number. Maybe somewhat slanted to the right to allow for the old boys. In the Canucks case it is really a damn near flat distribution. That is what I was trying to say. More young uns more old uns then you would expect.

I apologize if this is too mathematical for you. Your sarcastic attempt to bring in the Bulls suggest that you had no idea what I was actually trying to say.

Reactions: Nomobo

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
you do understand my point relative to statistical calculations, don't you. The Canucks have more outliers statistically than would be expected. the average NHLer is what? 27 or 28? You would expect therefore, assuming a Poisson distribution, that you would have a curve centered around that number. Maybe somewhat slanted to the right to allow for the old boys. In the Canucks case it is really a damn near flat distribution. That is what I was trying to say. More young uns more old uns then you would expect.

I apologize if this is too mathematical for you. Your sarcastic attempt to bring in the Bulls suggest that you had no idea what I was actually trying to say.

There are multiple teams that have dressed 3 or more junior-eligible players this season. The Canucks have only 3 guys under 23 on the roster.

They have 5 guys over 30, 12 guys 24-30, and 5 guys under 24, two of which haven't dressed yet.

They look average in age because they have an average-aged group, which is alarming when you consider that they've finished at the bottom of the league the last while. The only way that this is a young team, as you claim, is if you consider 24 and 25 year olds as young players, at which point you could probably say that about just about every team in the league. Also, the idea that Edler is somehow anomalously old is a bit bizarre. I don't think they really have more young or old players than you'd expect, when you consider that the GM - for some weird reason - made filling age gaps a stated goal in acquisitions.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Mats Zuccarello is another player with some similarities. Very high motor and just relentless on the puck. Mats is superior in this regards, but I think Palmu has the kind of work ethic that will get him there.

The shot is what reminds me of Theo Fluery. These are definately very high targets for him to reach, but he is proving it in a Men’s league that he is no joke. Loved the pick then, and still love it now!
Viktor Arvidsson. Same stocky build.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Viktor Arvidsson. Same stocky build.

Palmu doesnt have Arvidssons elite wheels though. Zuccarello is a better comparison IMO, though Mats is more of a playmaker and Palmu seems to be moer of a shooter. Still have some decent hope for Palmu, he seems to be a smart offensive player and while hes short he is stocky and looks hard to knock of the puck.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Spits play the knights, banner rising night for the spitfires

London knights are currently LAST in the entire OHL (1-6-0). Spitfires sit 11th (4-2-1).

Looked around, no idea if DiPietro starts though.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Surprisingly DiPietro is starting, you'd think they'd give the backup the game since it's an easier game so that the rookie can bounce back.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Surprisingly DiPietro is starting, you'd think they'd give the backup the game since it's an easier game so that the rookie can bounce back.

It's the London Knights, I'm sure Windsor would prefer to beat the shit out of them, lol.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Fri Oct 13

Europe

Pelicans at TPS Turku
Palmu
Juolevi

Vaxjo at Karlskrona
Pettersson

Timra at Vasterviks
Dahlen

Playing with:
55. Gallo, Vilmos38. Olofsson, Jakob54. Dahlén, Jonathan
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AHL

Utica at Rochester 4pm

OHL

Ottawa at Sudbury 4pm
Candella

Windsor at London 4:30pm
DiPietro

Hamilton at Oshawa 4:30pm
Brassard

WHL

Calgary at Kelowna 7pm
Stukel
Lind

S_C

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
There are multiple teams that have dressed 3 or more junior-eligible players this season. The Canucks have only 3 guys under 23 on the roster.

They have 5 guys over 30, 12 guys 24-30, and 5 guys under 24, two of which haven't dressed yet.

They look average in age because they have an average-aged group, which is alarming when you consider that they've finished at the bottom of the league the last while. The only way that this is a young team, as you claim, is if you consider 24 and 25 year olds as young players, at which point you could probably say that about just about every team in the league. Also, the idea that Edler is somehow anomalously old is a bit bizarre. I don't think they really have more young or old players than you'd expect, when you consider that the GM - for some weird reason - made filling age gaps a stated goal in acquisitions.

Just looked at the avatar and could not believe the use of capital letters, fully constructed sentences and the word "anomalously." The reasoned, articulate argument gave it away though. Well done. :laugh:

Reactions: rune74

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Petrus has played in 15 games this season,in all competitions for TPS
7 goals 5 assists 12 points +/- +4 (2 of the goals in the Champions Hockey League)

at 5 foot 7 and 181 pounds with his skill set and quality skating, Palmu can and will able
if not for next season,but one after for sure,you Canucks drafted one hell of a tinytank :)

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Good to see Pettersson picking up the pace and catching up to Glass

Any word on the lost prospect Juolevi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad