the problem isnt salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
thinkwild said:
And to be fair, its not that the Leafs had no chance at the Cup, but more that they had no long term unfair advantage in developing a champ the right way, the only way.

Both Ottawa and Toronto have different means at their disposal. The classic opposites. Biggest of the big vs. smallest of the small. Yes Toronto can spend and we cant, and maybe early on this will give them more playoff appearances, but in the long run I dont feel they have such an unfair advantage over us in ability to develop a champ our way that I cant live with the differences. I dont think we need to be afraid of this advantage. It is just a difference, but if you are courageous, you can still do it the right way. They have beaten us, but I cant honestly say I think its the money they spend that gives them an unfair advantage over us anymore. It used to seem that way.

But spending now is starting to help Toronto less and less. If you go too far, there comes a point where you get to like where the Rangers or Washington did, and Dallas may soon follow, where it just must be torn down. Not because you cant afford it, but because it just stops working. If you end up with the entire core of your team is over 31, and you arent winning, you have hit rock bottom. Time for rehab.

While not giving an unfair 'on ice' advantage (which I agree with), do you think that Toronto spending like they do (i.e. the 'buy' strategy to building a team) has a negative impact on NHL economics? Do you think that it plays a role in escalating player salaries?

I do...

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
I in the Eye said:
While not giving an unfair 'on ice' advantage (which I agree with), do you think that Toronto spending like they do (i.e. the 'buy' strategy to building a team) has a negative impact on NHL economics? Do you think that it plays a role in escalating player salaries?

I do...

i dont ... what effect has signing Belfour, Roberts, Neiwendyk, Marchment etc had on any other teams efforts to build ?

none.

dr

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
DementedReality said:
i dont ... what effect has signing Belfour, Roberts, Neiwendyk, Marchment etc had on any other teams efforts to build ?

none.

dr

How can you say that? When Belfour signs for $8 mill don't you think that has a bearing on what Vokoun can negotiate in his 9 mill over 3 yr deal....or especially in arbitration do you think Joe Thornton 6,750 mill had anything to do with Roenick's 7 mill, Yashin's 10 mill, or Sundin's 8 mill......of course it did.
When you are trying to build that team...you have to pay them as they prove themselves [Vokoun's example] or they are going to sign a 1 yr deal as a RFA, just to get the UFA status instead of the 3 yr deal.
What other teams sign a player for has everything to do with league economics.

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
handtrick said:
How can you say that? When Belfour signs for $8 mill don't you think that has a bearing on what Vokoun can negotiate in his 9 mill over 3 yr deal....or especially in arbitration do you think Joe Thornton 6,750K had anything to do with Roenick's 7 mill, Yashin's 10 mill, or Sundin's 8 mill......of course it did.
When you are trying to build that team...you have to pay them as they prove themselves [Vokoun's example] or they are going to sign a 1 yr deal as a RFA, just to get the UFA status instead of the 3 yr deal.
What other teams sign a player for has everything to do with league economics.

1) if NSH doesnt feel Vokoun is worth 3m, they are under NO obligation to offer it to him. they offer it because they know he is worth that, even in the context of their teams budget. vokoun is worth 10% of a teams budget, so whats the problem ? wouldnt vokoun be a good investment if belfour was retired and never had that contract ? thats why i think belfour has nothing to do with it.

2) jr, yashin and sundin dont even have arbitration rights ... and in reverse, Thornton can not use UFA's as a comparable, so Joe's contract has nothing to do with those types of players.

3) why do you have a problem with paying players as they improve themselves ? thats what this system is for ! they start cheap, they get better, they get more expensive but until they hit 25 (7 NHL years) they have some leverage, with arbitration. what arbitation awards werent merited ? even if its 3 per year, thats such a small % of the 1.5billion in player salaries. they make JR and SUndin money when they hit UFA age. in most cases players at UFA age and big contracts HURT teams more then HELP. so who cares then if some team wants to overpay for a old declining player, it HURTS them. good teams should encourage their competition to waste money on old overpaid declining players.

dr

Feb 12, 2003
The problem with the prior arrangement was that the big market teams set the market. That has made it more difficult yet not impossible for the small market teams. It's very short sighted to think that the big market teams offering larger salaries than the small market teams has no impact on the rest of the league.

It amazes me how people can look at the way the system was working before and think there was nothing wrong. Then again they probably think it's foolish that I think it was not working.

From a competitive standpoint, I find it more compelling to see competitors of equal chance performing. Now everything doesn't have to be regulated, but it can be benefitial for the playing ground for some basic things to be equal. What has the NHL done up until this point to provide an even playing ground?

The draft rules per the prior CBA's helped to keep it even so that the teams were rewarded by investing in scouting and drafting personel. If not for this regulation, and all entry level players entered the league as free agents, the richer teams could outright outbid the poorer teams and own the developmental system in the league.

The RFA rules per the prior CBA were supposed to help keep it even so that other teams couldn't impact the asking price of RFA's. This worked within reason, but arbitration nullified that as other team's players were used as comparisons. Then there were player holdouts who would then be traded to another team who were willing to pay the price for the player. These rules didn't entirely protect the teams from each other.

There are more rules the CBA's have had to enforce an even playing field, were they enough?

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
GoCoyotes said:
It amazes me how people can look at the way the system was working before and think there was nothing wrong. Then again they probably think it's foolish that I think it was not working.

I agree...

Equally amazing to me is how people say that the economic problem is 'revenue disparity between markets'... Yet, the 'spending disparity' between markets isn't an economic problem... How exactly is revenue disparity an economic problem if it is not tied to disparity in ability and desire to 'spend it'?... What does it matter to the other teams if Toronto has 3 times the revenue of the rest - if Toronto doesn't spend it? What's the 'revenue disparity' problem if it's not how the richer teams are spending their superior revenue?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gotta love the title of this thread... dr is a real character... he must be the equivilent of the Claude Lemeiux of these boards, love to have him on your team in the playoffs, but hate to play vs him! The problem isn't the salaries :lol thanks man I needed that laugh! :joker:

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
I in the Eye said:
I agree...

Equally amazing to me is how people say that the economic problem is 'revenue disparity between markets'... Yet, the 'spending disparity' between markets isn't an economic problem... How exactly is revenue disparity an economic problem if it is not tied to disparity in ability and desire to 'spend it'?... What does it matter to the other teams if Toronto has 3 times the revenue of the rest - if Toronto doesn't spend it? What's the 'revenue disparity' problem if it's not how the richer teams are spending their superior revenue?

Too much logic is emanating from this reply!! :amazed:

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
I in the Eye said:
I agree...

the point is that the ability to spend does not translate to an unfair advantage...

dr

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
DementedReality said:
the point is that the ability to spend does not translate to an unfair advantage...

dr

I agree... It just translates into an economically unhealthy league...

YellHockey*

GoCoyotes said:
The problem with the prior arrangement was that the big market teams set the market. That has made it more difficult yet not impossible for the small market teams. It's very short sighted to think that the big market teams offering larger salaries than the small market teams has no impact on the rest of the league.

Who has set the market?

For players who entered the league under the previous CBA, the most influential contract was the last one Calgary signed with Iginla.

For the players who have yet to gain arbitration rights, Tampa Bay set the market when they signed Brad Richards to a multi year contract. He would have been the yardstick when his age group gets to arbitration had the previous CBA remained in place.

For the players between Iginla and Richards, the market was set by Thornton's contract with Boston. And we know that the Bruins are loose with the wallet.

Montreal set the market for goalie when they signed Theodore, but that signing was influenced by iginla's contract.

The biggest markets in the NHL are New York, Toronto, LA, and Chicago. Who have they signed to an extravagant contract that would set the market high for other clubs?

Feb 12, 2003
BlackRedGold said:
Who has set the market?

For players who entered the league under the previous CBA, the most influential contract was the last one Calgary signed with Iginla.

For the players who have yet to gain arbitration rights, Tampa Bay set the market when they signed Brad Richards to a multi year contract. He would have been the yardstick when his age group gets to arbitration had the previous CBA remained in place.

For the players between Iginla and Richards, the market was set by Thornton's contract with Boston. And we know that the Bruins are loose with the wallet.

Montreal set the market for goalie when they signed Theodore, but that signing was influenced by iginla's contract.

The biggest markets in the NHL are New York, Toronto, LA, and Chicago. Who have they signed to an extravagant contract that would set the market high for other clubs?

I think you are making my point for me, but you just don't realize your point is invalid. Iginla's contract didn't come up out of thin air for Calgary, they were required to give him that contract because it was the going rate for a player of his calibre.

I find it hard to consider Montreal a small market at any rate as well. The Theodore contract was unique no doubt, but only because as a goalie Theodore was the team MVP and carried the team like he did.

In the case of Theodore & Iginla, two franchise players who carried their teams on their backs, the teams had to pay them based on the market that was set by the big market teams paying their franchise players. If Colorado had given Sakic or Forsberg a $6 million/year contract or Toronto had done the same with Sundin, then you wouldn't see the small market teams having to compete with these bigger salaries.

Realistically, most teams probably couldn't afford to pay their marquee player more than $5-6 million a year. Yet the major breakout contract these emerging stars are getting is that same fee. At the current pace, Iginla will quickly price himself out of the Flames payroll with his next contract, and it'd be another victim of the mindset of the prior CBA.

If Montreal wasn't as strong of a market as it is, they would face the same problem with Theodore. As Edmonton did with Doug Weight, as Ottawa will with Marian Hossa, and Vancouver will with Todd Bertuzzi if things are not changed. It'll happen to every team that cannot afford to spend win or lose.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Some on this board are making the argument that the primary issue with revenue disparities in individual markets is spending levels. In my opinion, that argument presents a superficial view of the situation and fails to focus on the core problems.

The fact is that many so-called "small market" teams have operated under a de facto salary cap for years, most at or under the $31 million level. So how does a team that already operates at or under the proposed hard cap level improve their revenues? We already now that many of these teams are still losing significant amounts of money while operating at or near the hard cap level. So how does profit increase for these teams?

Revenue disparity is a huge problem facing the league, regardless of the level of spending by the "big-market" teams. The New York Rangers make over $25 million per year from their television contracts, while a team like Nashville makes $2 million or less. Even if a "big-market" team is restricted from spending based on their revenue advantage, the fact is that a team like Nashville will always have a difficult time remaining economically viable given its respective revenue generation.

I've alluded to it before, but I would love for someone to review the archives in one of the Raleigh newspapers from this past January or February. The newspaper had a pointed article in which Peter Karmanos explicitly acknowedged that a hard cap without revenue sharing will do little to help his franchise.

Many on these boards want to believe that a hard cap is the magical elixir for all of the league's woes, but at a certain point economic reality has to be a part of the discussion.

YellHockey*

GoCoyotes said:
I think you are making my point for me, but you just don't realize your point is invalid. Iginla's contract didn't come up out of thin air for Calgary, they were required to give him that contract because it was the going rate for a player of his calibre.

Going rate? There was no going rate for Iginla. That's why he didn't go to arbitration. There was no one comparable for him to get him the money that he did.

Calgary set the high mark for players who have entered the league under the old CBA. No one else did.

I find it hard to consider Montreal a small market at any rate as well. The Theodore contract was unique no doubt, but only because as a goalie Theodore was the team MVP and carried the team like he did.

And his contract was based upon Iginla's. I don't consider Montreal a small market either but they've been whining like they are.

In the case of Theodore & Iginla, two franchise players who carried their teams on their backs, the teams had to pay them based on the market that was set by the big market teams paying their franchise players. If Colorado had given Sakic or Forsberg a $6 million/year contract or Toronto had done the same with Sundin, then you wouldn't see the small market teams having to compete with these bigger salaries.

Bull! None of those contracts had ANYTHING to do with Iginla or Theodore. Neither player could use them as comparables. If the older players had been signed to $6M a year contracts it just would have meant that Iginla and Theodore would have the highest paid players in the league. After all, they were the two best players in the league when they signed.

If those teams didn't feel those players were worth it, they could have held out longer for a lower contract. Neither Iginla or Theodore had any leverage except for not playing.

Realistically, most teams probably couldn't afford to pay their marquee player more than $5-6 million a year. Yet the major breakout contract these emerging stars are getting is that same fee. At the current pace, Iginla will quickly price himself out of the Flames payroll with his next contract, and it'd be another victim of the mindset of the prior CBA.

Next contract? That time is now and if the CBA weren't up the Flames probably would have signed him already. Right now in Calgary the fans think the team is a contender. If they deal him away now, the fans will think the team is a pretender. There's a big difference in revenues between a contender and a pretender.

If Montreal wasn't as strong of a market as it is, they would face the same problem with Theodore. As Edmonton did with Doug Weight, as Ottawa will with Marian Hossa, and Vancouver will with Todd Bertuzzi if things are not changed. It'll happen to every team that cannot afford to spend win or lose.

Bullcrap again. Edmonton couldn't keep Weight because they couldn't bring in revenues of a contender. Vancouver has more money then most teams in the NHL since their fans perceive them as a contender. They can keep whoever they want. Similiarly, everyone thought that Ottawa couldn't keep Alfredsson but he signed a long term deal instead of leaving.

Teams that win can keep their players. Teams that lose can't unless they are the Leafs or Rangers or they want to lose lots of money.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Goulet17 said:
So how does a team that already operates at or under the proposed hard cap level improve their revenues? We already now that many of these teams are still losing significant amounts of money while operating at or near the hard cap level. So how does profit increase for these teams?

These teams have to build from a young, inexpensive 'core'... Over time, if their respective GMs have done a good job in assembling a good young core, these teams will make the playoffs - and reap the rewards of playoff revenue... If the GM has done a very good job in assembling a good young core, this team will make the playoffs year-after-year... The more success a team has, the more paying fans, the more $ fans are willing to pay for tickets, etc... This revenue-generating opportunity is the same for both the big and small market teams...

If the GM has not done a good job in assembling a good young core, over time, this team will not have success- and thus, the GM will not have significantly increased revenues, and thus, the team will not be able to afford to keep his team together... The GM will have to trade their expensive core for young players/draft picks to try and build a good young core again...

This is not the same for big and small market teams... Rich teams have another strategy at their disposal... Rich teams can afford to keep their expensive, aging players - even though the team doesn't have success... Rich teams can afford to try and 'skip team development/re-development steps' by replacing their expensive, aging players with other expensive, aging players, where rich teams do not want to take the necessary steps back to re-build properly again... Poorer teams cannot do this... Neither team should be doing this - if team success does not increase as the players become older and more expensive... Every team has to 'take steps back' to re-build their teams if success doesn't come...

Goulet17 said:
Revenue disparity is a huge problem facing the league, regardless of the level of spending by the "big-market" teams. The New York Rangers make over $25 million per year from their television contracts, while a team like Nashville makes $2 million or less. Even if a "big-market" team is restricted from spending based on their revenue advantage, the fact is that a team like Nashville will always have a difficult time remaining economically viable given its respective revenue generation.

I'm all for revenue sharing... But what is Nashville going to do with their increased revenue? Invest it for a rainy day - to keep their young, inexpensive core together one day? Use it to sign their stud 1st rounder?... Or are they going to try and sign (or trade for) Sergei Fedorov - i.e. are they going to try and 'skip developmental steps' while inflating the market for Fedorov (if he's an UFA), or trade one, two, or three of their young, promising core players in order to get him via a trade? If Nashville uses the money to get Fedorov (or any expensive, aging player), this disrupts (increases) their team salary structure, as well as hampers the proper, natural development of Nashville's team (a young, promising player should be gaining valuable experience playing in the role Fedorov is currently occupying)...

Goulet17 said:
Many on these boards want to believe that a hard cap is the magical elixir for all of the league's woes, but at a certain point economic reality has to be a part of the discussion.

I personally don't want a hard cap... and I'm all for a revenue sharing component... It's not spending per say that I'm against... It's what teams (regardless if they're rich or poor) spend their revenue on (given where they are in the 'franchise life cycle')... There should be a lot more proper team re-building going on in the NHL... When desired success and team milestones aren't achieved (given where the team is in the 'franchise life cycle'), GM's should be taking steps back to properly (and inexpensively) fix the problem - not looking for expensive bandaid solutions that do nothing but escalate player salaries... If every team tried to build and re-build their teams properly, the majority of the league's problems would naturally solve themselves... IMHO, a hard cap isn't needed (nor is it an attractive alternative)... Have the proper team building strategy guide the CBA rules and solution - not how much money the owners or the players will make... How teams are built shouldn't be based around how much money owners and players should make... How much money owners and players make should be based on how teams should be built...

Brent Burns Beard