the problem isnt salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
the problem isnt salaries, its revenue disparity between markets.

Ok, so some teams generate more revenue. if the owners want to fix that, why kill the NHL over it when all they need to do is share their revenues with each other ?

a salary cap does not raise revenue for lower revenue teams, so how is that the answer to "revenue disparity" in fact, the players proposal does address this quite effectivly (if the owners would negotiate the salary tax% and trigger).

Revenue disparity is an ownership problem and has little to zero effect on competitive balance.

I see rich well run teams like NJD, DET and COL winning and dominating and I see rich poorly run teams like WSH, NYR and TOR not winning.

I see "revenue challenged" teams like ANA, BUF, CRL, MIN, SJS, OTT, CGY and TBY having just as many chances if not more.

If the owners of ANA, BUF, CRL, MIN, SJS, OTT, CGY and TBY think its unfair that DET, COL, NYR, TOR and PHI have more revenue then TAKE IT UP WITH THEM !

If revenue disparity is the true problem, the owners should look to themselves to fix it. A luxury tax is a fair mechanism for this.

DR

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I think you have an interesting argument, but the fallacy I see is this: If the league is to survive in its existing markets, many of them can not generate the revenue to support the current salary model. They simply can not, and billionaire owners didn't get rich by being stupid; they are not likely to agree to run the league as a co-op. That concept is never going to fly in a capitalist society. The best outcome is that the big market teams can make a mint while the small market clubs can be profitable if properly managed. As such, for today's NHL to survive, they need to bring costs down to a level attainable in many of the current markets. As such, I can't think of any mechanism other than capping costs by a salary cap. Otherwise, the league is going to have to do serious restructuring, because I truly believe the old model would lead to plugs being pulled in several current markets. Then you would see a true free market, and the supply of players would flood the market and far exceed demand and drive salaries down. I believe that in such an event, players would rue that they didn't compromise on a cap and preserve the market for their services.
My opinion only... ;)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I believe that Bettman has come out more than once and publicly stated that improved revenue sharing is going to be a required component of the new CBA, whether he actually meant it or not is another matter but he has said it.

I don't have a problem with a luxury tax component, but IMO the teeth it would need in order to be effective would be instantly branded as "essentially a salary cap" by the players. It's going to take a lot of butting of heads to hammer this thing out, assuming they even get to that stage.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Digger12 said:
I believe that Bettman has come out more than once and publicly stated that improved revenue sharing is going to be a required component of the new CBA, whether he actually meant it or not is another matter but he has said it.
Just to back you up on this, yes he has said it numerous times, as has Daly.

And the salaries are definitely still part of the problem IMO.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
DementedReality said:

Ok, so some teams generate more revenue. if the owners want to fix that, why kill the NHL over it when all they need to do is share their revenues with each other ?

a salary cap does not raise revenue for lower revenue teams, so how is that the answer to "revenue disparity" in fact, the players proposal does address this quite effectivly (if the owners would negotiate the salary tax% and trigger).

Revenue disparity is an ownership problem and has little to zero effect on competitive balance.

I see rich well run teams like NJD, DET and COL winning and dominating and I see rich poorly run teams like WSH, NYR and TOR not winning.

I see "revenue challenged" teams like ANA, BUF, CRL, MIN, SJS, OTT, CGY and TBY having just as many chances if not more.

If the owners of ANA, BUF, CRL, MIN, SJS, OTT, CGY and TBY think its unfair that DET, COL, NYR, TOR and PHI have more revenue then TAKE IT UP WITH THEM !

If revenue disparity is the true problem, the owners should look to themselves to fix it. A luxury tax is a fair mechanism for this.

DR

Not sure how a league is going to survive when 75% of it's revenues go to player salaries... no matter how much revenue sharing there is.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Digger12 said:

Both Bettman and Daly have said that their proposal includes "significant" revenue sharing. I'll believe it when I see it. If the news reports are correct, the NHL rejected the luxury tax presented by the players because it would involve $35 million in revenue sharing - which was too much for the owners. How much is significant?

DR is absolutely right. Disparities between teams are revenue disparities. These differences do not spring from the market size, they spring from the quality of the product presented on the ice.

Tom

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Tom_Benjamin said:
DR is absolutely right. Disparities between teams are revenue disparities. These differences do not spring from the market size, they spring from the quality of the product presented on the ice.

So the revenue disparity between New York and Edmonton springs from the Rangers putting a higher quality product on the ice? The standings for the last 7 years would tend to disagree. You can certainly say that the Rangers have paid through the nose to provide many more marquee names than the Oilers have, but for me a quality product is one that wins, which is something the Rangers have done anything but.

And the fact that you could fit around 15 Edmontons into 1 New York population wise has NOTHING to do with it? Honestly?

Last edited:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Tom_Benjamin said:

Tom

I think I must misunderstand what you mean, cause there's no way you think that, right???

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Digger12 said:
So the revenue disparity between New York and Edmonton springs from the Rangers putting a higher quality product on the ice? The standings for the last 7 years would tend to disagree. You can certainly say that the Rangers have paid through the nose to provide many more marquee names than the Oilers have, but for me a quality product is one that wins, which is something the Rangers have done anything but.

And the fact that you could fit around 15 Edmontons into 1 New York population wise has NOTHING to do with it? Honestly?

you are mixing up issues ... the revenue disparity that NYR has over EDM has not given them any on ice advantage, so EDM shouldnt worry that it cant compete on the ice with NYR. the problem EDM has is it cant earn the same profits as NYR.

so, EDM is locking out there players to solve a problem that has nothing to do with them.

EDM should take it up with NYR if they feel its unfair that NYR is 15x the size of EDM.

DR

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
DementedReality said:
so, EDM is locking out there players to solve a problem that has nothing to do with them.

It sure as hell does have something to do with them, in the sense that when one fat cat team decides to overpay for something, it has the potential of totally messing up EDM's salary structure.

As I've stated before, the Rag$ of the world can pay what they want as far as I'm concerned, I don't particularly care...EXCEPT when that decision impacts the owners that actually have a semblance of fiscal sanity and actually are trying to stick to a budget.

A system is needed to lessen this phenomena, whether it's a hard/soft cap or a luxury tax/revenue sharing monopoly kitty matters little with me.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
DR.... you are 100% correct. It is the leagues duty though to control the amount of salary spent by a "big" market money making machine so that teams like Edmonton and the like can compete.

I look at it this way. Tiger woods could never win a tournament but he will still be the highest paid athlete because of his sponsorship deal.

That is what the players will go to the larger markets, for the larger sponsorship deals.

But contracts in a league like the NHL should be regulated. Then a player leaves not because he is paid more by another team, but because he feels the sponsorship deals are worth more in New York than in Edmonton.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
DementedReality said:

Incorrect. The league as a whole is losing 200+ million dollars each year. If you re-distribute all the income exactly even 30 ways, guess what?

The league as a whole still loses 200+ million. The only thing that would change is who lost and how much.

And that's why revenue sharing alone is not a solution.

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
DementedReality said:

DR
i don't understand how Toronto is poorly run, last i checked from the 2003 season next to Minnesota, Toronto was the team with the highest earnings.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Bring Back Bucky said:
If the league is to survive in its existing markets, many of them can not generate the revenue to support the current salary model. They simply can not, and billionaire owners didn't get rich by being stupid; they are not likely to agree to run the league as a co-op. That concept is never going to fly in a capitalist society. The best outcome is that the big market teams can make a mint while the small market clubs can be profitable if properly managed. As such, for today's NHL to survive, they need to bring costs down to a level attainable in many of the current markets. As such, I can't think of any mechanism other than capping costs by a salary cap.

This solution seems entirely unfair to me. You state it well and I understand it. But those clubs and the market naturally wants to spend that money. How can it be considered fair that the players arent entitled to a certain portion of the revenue they generate. Your theory is sound, but surely there is a more not only ethical, but something that market forces can guide too way of doing it. I always thought by default, if we can get the market to do it, its better. Not free market, market forces.

I think the principle of the current CBA, whether its current form works perfectly or not, is the fairest approach. Rather than cap spending, find a way to render it not a significant advantage. Take away the need for spending or its advantage in developing a championsip team. And acknowledge that championship teams are going to have mor erevenue than other teams.

If all salaries took a one time correction to a level that is desired by owners, the principles behind the current CBA, I think are the fairest way to approach the problem.

Perhaps there is a way to do this while at the same time creating an ability for the owners to apply end of year corrections if leaguewide costs did too much damage.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Skittles said:
i don't understand how Toronto is poorly run, last i checked from the 2003 season next to Minnesota, Toronto was the team with the highest earnings.

Thing is that on-ice success and on-books success is two different things.

From a fan perspective, true success is on-ice success. From a businessman's perspective, true success is on-books success.

Personnally, I think a cap is a good way to let true success on-ice a priority, since cost certainty will achieve a somewhat success on-books.

YellHockey*

Skittles said:

Did you consider the Leafs well run during the days of Harold Ballard and the appropriately named Carleton Street Cashbox (aka Maple Leaf Gardens)?

Brent Burns Beard