The Price of Your Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I bet you it took you 30 seconds to open up your browser, come to hfboards.com, open up this forum, open up this thread and see this.

For some people like Jaromir Jagr, they would get paid $44877 in 30 seconds of NHL action.

The players are grossly overpaid. Lets take someone like Jagr for instance who played 77 games last year and averaged 15:55 minutes per game. If you divide his 11 million dollar salary by his 77 games by his 15:55 minutes, you'll discover that he gets paid $149.59 for every second of hockey he plays in the NHL.

$149.59!

$150 per second to play hockey!

I wish I could get paid $150 per second in whatever I do.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
While I see the point you're trying to make and agree that salaries are out of whack, I would like to point out:

1-It doesn't take a whole lot of skill for me to open a program and use a mouse. It doesn't require god-given talent or years of practice.

2-No one in their right mind would pay to watch me browse the internet.

Also, I would settle for $150 a minute or $150 an hour. Whichever, I'm not picky. :)

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Which raises an interesting thought experiment.

Imagine that hfboards became so succesful that there were million of hits a day. Advertisers were lining up at the door, and sponsorships were going at premium levels because it gave you unlimited posting ability. Lets say, they were making millions of dollars a year off all your postings.

What should we do. Surely Sotnos isnt entitled to too much more than the rest of us. :) Sure all the great feature writers here will get the superstar salaries, but what should we do. A competing board is starting up and offering big money. You want to make this a pre-eminent one.

I think we'd need an hfboards CBA. What do you think. Should all competing forums have a poster cap on what they are allowed to pay?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
I bet you it took you 30 seconds to open up your browser, come to hfboards.com, open up this forum, open up this thread and see this.

For some people like Jaromir Jagr, they would get paid $44877 in 30 seconds of NHL action.

The players are grossly overpaid. Lets take someone like Jagr for instance who played 77 games last year and averaged 15:55 minutes per game. If you divide his 11 million dollar salary by his 77 games by his 15:55 minutes, you'll discover that he gets paid $149.59 for every second of hockey he plays in the NHL.

$149.59!

$150 per second to play hockey!

I wish I could get paid $150 per second in whatever I do.

Or we could factor that Jagr left his house at 9am to go to the morning skate, and didn't return home until 11:30 am

He was then back at the rink at 4:30 for that night's game ... after finishing the game, doing interviews etc. etc. het gets home at 11:15 PM

Not to mention the countless practices, travel time, off-season workouts etc. etc.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
John Flyers Fan said:
Or we could factor that Jagr left his house at 9am to go to the morning skate, and didn't return home until 11:30 am

He was then back at the rink at 4:30 for that night's game ... after finishing the game, doing interviews etc. etc. het gets home at 11:15 PM

Not to mention the countless practices, travel time, off-season workouts etc. etc.

excellent addition John Flyers Fan, which doesn't even factor in the millions of kids worldwide that aspire as to be an NHL star as their lifelong ambition only to come up short.....the fact that he reached that pinnacle has to account for something as to a monetary reward.....

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Firstly I don't think using Jagr's salary is a fair way of judging player salaries as a whole, I shouldn't even have to tell you why.

Secondly, in many cases, aside from skill and ability, let alone injury-risk concern, many players who make that kind of cash really earn it as back pay for all the years of hockey it took them to make the pros and make a real impact. That's why most players hit it big as UFAs, to make up for getting hosed the pasts 15 years of their hockey career. Of course, a faulty arbitration system has thrown it all out of whack by handing out absurd awards to young players, but that can hardly be blamed on the players themselves.

Players deserve to get paid what they do because the owners are profiting because of the players perfomances. That's a why a CBA that ties player salaries to team revenues is a must (this DOES NOT mean a hard cap).

Brent Burns Beard