The present is bright and so is the future.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I just don't see this team being competitive in the next few years. They are too small up front (particularly up the middle) and they don't have enough mobility and skill on defence. The skilled players they have are not going to improve much (age wise they are at their peak or declining) and I'm not sure adding Chabot and White will be enough.
Management has made some very poor decisions based on an overall lack of vision and need for short term results.
Toronto, Boston and Tampa will all be much better next year and I wouldn't be surprised if we miss the playoffs entirely.
Hate to be so skeptical, but I think this series with the Rangers and to some extent the series with an injury depleted Boston team really exposes issues when compared to elite teams.

Toronto won't likely be better as for Boston there is talk they may go with a complete rebuild and moving key players out as for injury depleted people need to keep in mind Ottawa most of there key players and still beat many teams.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
our problems up front are not necessarily the centres....it's too much of the same IMO. When you have centres the size we have you need some grit elsewhere and we don't have that. Stone being banged up does not help. For all the Hoffman fans if these past 10 playoff games don't make you realize that he may well be the softest player in the league I don't know what we'll. Dzingel is an ok player but he doesn't provide something different than what we have in abundance. What we need is 45 goals from 2 wingers that have Stalberg size/speed to replace Hoffman and Dzingel. That provides some level of physicality and ability to play on the boards and also gives us some offence.

Ryan is having an interesting playoff. He's been excellent in the first 50 games of his first 3 years. After that mark he's ran into injury issues. This year he's been on and off hurt and utilized differently all year. He had a good last 10 games without being on the scoresheet alot and in the playoffs he has been excellent and by far our best forward outside of jgp's 4 goal game. He's taKen a ton of heat here so props to Ryan for showing up.

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Admittedly I'm very pessimistic as well but this sums up my thoughts. This playoff run has given us some good memories but it'd abundantly clear this team was never close to contending.

Going a step further, and I'm sure I'll catch flak for this, but the current state of our franchise likely means we won't be contenders for another 10 years. Why? Well, we're not going to let Karlsson walk, we know that much.

Chances are, there's going to be a lull period where we try to replace Anderson. Maybe Condon takes the reigns, but I think he'll have difficulty being a team's go-to guy.

It's also clear that Turris and Brassard don't cut it as a #1/#2 for a contender. Unless Logan Brown miraculously becomes a franchise center...we're going to be trying to solve this problem for a long time. Now, New York has shown you can get by without one as long as you have 4 lines of great depth. That's very difficult to develop and maintain in a cap era.

We've quite obviously sacrificed a good chunk of our future for immediate help that hasn't exactly been help. I initially liked the Burrows trade but I'm not so sure now that he has become invisible. Stalberg for a 3rd was also poor asset management given what guys like Stafford went for at the deadline.

I feel the team needs a true reset like Toronto was able to do but we know that management won't allow that to happen. I feel like a broken record because I've been saying this since 08-09 or so.

Well said.

Chabot and White look like great pieces....but they won't be enough. We are putting a ton of hope on Brown...which is scary considering he is a very risky (as in big boom/bust potential) project right now.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Well said.

Chabot and White look like great pieces....but they won't be enough. We are putting a ton of hope on Brown...which is scary considering he is a very risky (as in big boom/bust potential) project right now.

So why is Brown a boom or bust type prospect exactly?

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
So why is Brown a boom or bust type prospect exactly?

How is he not? Very few centers of his size make it to the NHL, and those that do are rarely in the top 6.

Combine the rumoured work ethic issues and his relatively disappointing season, and I think most are fearful that he's headed towards bust territory already.

While I believe he's going to pick it up, the chances of him becoming a #1 center are quite low. I'm sure you know that.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
How is he not? Very few centers of his size make it to the NHL, and those that do are rarely in the top 6.

Combine the rumoured work ethic issues and his relatively disappointing season, and I think most are fearful that he's headed towards bust territory already.

While I believe he's going to pick it up, the chances of him becoming a #1 center are quite low. I'm sure you know that.

I was legitimately curious. I don't know much about him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I mean I've been saying I would've liked McLoed over Brown for a year.

Just making it clear that I don't judge Brown from a couple games here. Still, that's just my opinion. I'm all for being happy about our prospects (couldn't be any happier with Chabot and White amongst others) but I try to be reasonable in that I don't sugarcoat what I think of our players.

I've never been very high on Brown because I've seen too much of him to ever think he could become a #1C and all the comparison to guys like Thornton when we drafted him by some here. This is a post I made soon after draft day and many called me negative just for saying I would've prefered McLoed.

McLoed is absolutely tearing it up and Brown has been a ghost for the entire year. Of course McLoed is a more complete player and has less developpment to do than Brown, but at this point I don't even think Brown has a higher ceiling. I would've traded Brown over Dahlen easily alsso. I hope this team stops trying to draft guys mostly because of their size and start to draft guys based on who they are as players. On draft day it's always the same, you'll have two equally good players and you'll have to draft the tallest guy 5-10 spots before just because he's taller. Good on NJ for recognizing that McLoed was better than Brown and maximizing their assets.

We've done the same with Gagne, guy was supposed to be in the 50s and we took him before guys like Chlapik who had always been a superior player...

Other than that pretty happy with our drafting..

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I just don't see this team being competitive in the next few years. They are too small up front (particularly up the middle) and they don't have enough mobility and skill on defence. The skilled players they have are not going to improve much (age wise they are at their peak or declining) and I'm not sure adding Chabot and White will be enough.
Management has made some very poor decisions based on an overall lack of vision and need for short term results.
Toronto, Boston and Tampa will all be much better next year and I wouldn't be surprised if we miss the playoffs entirely.
Hate to be so skeptical, but I think this series with the Rangers and to some extent the series with an injury depleted Boston team really exposes issues when compared to elite teams.

You are correct. I had a post a few months back where I said the Sens window was now because their best players were at their peak and they have very little talent coming up. That post was seen as trolling! The reality is that the Sens have no core players in the 20 -24 age group which will spell doom and gloom in a few years.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
You are correct. I had a post a few months back where I said the Sens window was now because their best players were at their peak and they have very little talent coming up. That post was seen as trolling! The reality is that the Sens have no core players in the 20 -24 age group which will spell doom and gloom in a few years.

Well, I think Chabot/White have great chances to be core players. I don't think they're franchise level players...though Chabot has an outside shot of becoming that based on his skillset.

I am not sure we're really in a different place than we were with our miracle run under MacLean. Overachieving to our detriment in the years to come.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Well, I think Chabot/White have great chances to be core players. I don't think they're franchise level players...though Chabot has an outside shot of becoming that based on his skillset.

I am not sure we're really in a different place than we were with our miracle run under MacLean. Overachieving to our detriment in the years to come.

I agree Chabot can be a great player and White could be very good. Ottawa's problem is they don't have any really stud players aged 21-24. Almost every other contending team does.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
DueDiligence

Only 4 teams in the east have a stud player as your talking about.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Thinking about next years d pairings.

Harpur - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Chabot - Dion

I really like Harpurs quiet game. Big physical guy to go with Karlsson. I wanted to put Dion there with Karlsson but i dont want our bottom pair to be too green.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad