The present is bright and so is the future.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
The team this year could win the cup.

Outside of that moving forward we are one elite player from being serious cup contenders and 2 elite players from becoming cup favourites.

I know that seems harder said than done but in my mind we already have one coming.

Chabot is going to be special. He is also slotted in the best possible situation where he can thrive under Karlssons wing. Gonchar for EK was a great thing. Hes going to be even better for Chabot. What a better player to learn under than by seeint Karlsson out there night in and night out setting the example. Chabot is going to have soo much less pressure too. I know, don't count your chickens but yeah pretty much count your chickens. Chabot is going to become the 2nd best defenceman this team has ever had. Unless he is traded for an elite Centre.

If we can just get either Colin White or Logan Brown or someone else in a trade to really pan out things really going to be looking ridiculous. Honestly the Chabot factor may be enough without any additinal forwards.

Also,

This comming out Party in the Media and across the league as absurd as it is that people are calling a coming out party because Karlsson has been this good for years, is really going to make Ottawa and attractive place for players to come. While stupid, its only going to help.

I would not be shocked if an elite player or two came to Ottawa just because they want to play with Erik Karlsson.

In the hockey world Karlsson is Crosby, Karlsson is McDavid.

Oh and forget all the haters about the attendance. Yes, its embarrasing but shame on the media sscrutanizing things just to drive site visits. The real story is less sexy but very few broadcasters and Networks have the gumption to tell the truth. This city has AMAZING fans. Our crew may not be the biggest and we may have some challenges with the Arena location and virtually no public transportation but this city cares about the team.

A word for advice to Melnyk. Replace the seat covers man. Those seats make the arena look so dated. Make the place atleast look nice and put some effort. People have to make so much of a bigger effort in Ottawa just to get to a game..more so than 28 other arenas in the league

Things have been hard the last couple of years yet we have still made the playoffs more than not. Guy Boucher is amazing. He's the Jacques Martin of our dreams where Jacques is cool and has the character, passion and poise behind the bench to win.

Alfie and Spezza were so crucial to Karlsson. He got to play and learn from clutch legends who never cracked under pressure.

Good things are going to happen.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I just want to get an elite centre before Anderson is too old. If Tavares is available go hard after him.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I applaud the positivity, even the first win in this second round was overshadowed by negative media attention, it seems like our honeymoon with the media after the MacArthur OT goal has already ended. I agree that we are close, a cup run this season would totally be cinderella but the reality is that we aren't far from having an elite roster period, system or no system. The fact that we have the coaching staff to take us to the promised land makes it all the sweeter.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
1 elite player: will be Chabot

2 elite players: Chabot + Tavares

Brown+Turris+1st+Ceci for Tavares

get'r done

If we get him it would be as a free agent but I would be shocked if he left.

I would try and trade for Nugent-Hopkins and a 2nd for Ceci, andTurris. He is 24 and He's a former #1 and could beast out in the next couple years. Then id sign Big Joe this summer for 2 years.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The team this year could win the cup.

Outside of that moving forward we are one elite player from being serious cup contenders and 2 elite players from becoming cup favourites. .

I agree completely. I've posted several times that history shows cup winners have 2 or more H of F calibre players. We have EK. Is Chabot the guy? Could be.

2 years out if any 2 of White Brown or Chabot, who will be 22, 22, 21 respectively, are in the second year of H of F calibre careers we will be a legit favourite. if 1 of the 3 we will be a legit contender.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
1 elite player: will be Chabot

2 elite players: Chabot + Tavares

Brown+Turris+1st+Ceci for Tavares

get'r done

Johnny T is 8 years into his career. he's been to the playoffs 3 times and without looking it up I think he's won one round. He was a super hyped prospect that's been good but to me hasn't lived up to the hype. He's also not known as being fleet of foot in a game that's getting faster as he moves into the middle age of his career.

I don't see any team giving up a high end first round prospect, a 1st, a 1b calibre centre of the same age and a developing former first round young shutdown D for Johnny T. That won't happen in the real world and in the off chance that it does I'll keep my fingers crossed that it isn't us that gives up those kind of assets to get it done.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

I would try and trade for Nugent-Hopkins and a 2nd for Ceci, andTurris. He is 24 and He's a former #1 and could beast out in the next couple years. Then id sign Big Joe this summer for 2 years.

Ceci and Turris for RNH and a second? I'll pass easily

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
For everyone willing to give up a bunch of assets for one year of Tavares, how do you feel about offer sheeting Draisaitl instead?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am confident we have a chance against the Penguins if we make it past the Rangers.

Not a great chance but I wouldn't have thought we had one when the playoffs started.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

RNH will have the same problems with physical play as Turris.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
After mortgaging our future for our current team, the future isn't all that bright. Certainly not as bright as it should be.

Realism > optimism

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
After mortgaging our future for our current team, the future isn't all that bright. Certainly not as bright as it should be.

Realism > optimism

What future did we mortgage? 1 prospect?

We can delve into realism if you want, the chances of a small market team winning the cup are super slim when you add into the fact winning the cup in general is very slim. So you should probably just stop wasting your time watching this hockey team. #realism

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The future could be very bright indeed, especially if the team moves into its brand new arena in the near future :nod:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What future did we mortgage? 1 prospect?

We can delve into realism if you want, the chances of a small market team winning the cup are super slim when you add into the fact winning the cup in general is very slim. So you should probably just stop wasting your time watching this hockey team. #realism

To get:

Brassard, Ryan, Phaneuf, Burrows, Stalberg, Condon, Wingels

...Sens management gave up:

Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Ritchie, Noesen, Dahlen, Lindberg, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th (+ 20M in cap space)

That's a heck of a lot more than one prospect.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The only real losses to me are Silf and cap space. And maybe making us somewhat of a contender keeps Karlsson, the greatest move of all.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Realism > optimism

How exactly did we mortgage the future again? Zibby? Dahlen (lol)? If you value them that highly, then surely you must be over the moon with Chabot, White, and to a lesser extent Brown, Chlapik, Harpur? Does the future not bode well for us right now?

You want some realism? How about the fact that we are up 1 game in the second round of the playoffs, and have a real shot at the ECF. We have a deep team that's built for the playoffs, and still have all of our top prospects. And they're showing Karlsson that the organization is serious about winning. All good things.

The only reason to whine about those trades is if this team rolled over in the 1st round. They didn't. Lets move along.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The only real losses to me are Silf and cap space. And maybe making us somewhat of a contender keeps Karlsson, the greatest move of all.

Not making those trades and using the 20M in cap space in free agency would have made us more of a contender than we are now:

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Silfverberg
Smith - Pageau - ??????
Ritchie - White - Dzingel
Pyatt, Noesen

Methot - Karlsson
??????? - Ceci
Harpur - Wideman
Claesson, Borowiecki

Anderson
??????

Roughly 23M in cap space to fill the holes.

And I'm not of the belief that trading almost all of Karlsson's countrymen contributes positively to the likelihood he stays here long-term. Would have preferred to keep guys like Zib, Silf, Dahlen, even Lehner, and create a Swedish stable like in Detroit and Nashville.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How exactly did we mortgage the future again? Zibby? Dahlen (lol)? If you value them that highly, then surely you must be over the moon with Chabot, White, and to a lesser extent Brown, Chlapik, Harpur? Does the future not bode well for us right now?

You want some realism? How about the fact that we are up 1 game in the second round of the playoffs, and have a real shot at the ECF. We have a deep team that's built for the playoffs, and still have all of our top prospects. And they're showing Karlsson that the organization is serious about winning. All good things.

The only reason to whine about those trades is if this team rolled over in the 1st round. They didn't. Lets move along.

Zibanejad is a young 2nd line center, and Dahlen just had one of the most impressive seasons of all-time by an U20 prospect in the Allsvenskan. They aren't superstars, but let's not pretend they aren't good players.

I spend a good amount of time comparing the futures of different teams, so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about on this subject. As it stands right now, the Sens have an average/mediocre future compared to the rest of the league. I'd put them somewhere in the 10-20 range. If Sens management didn't trade away so much quality youth in recent years we'd easily be in the top 10, arguably top 5.

It's obvious that I have a longer-term outlook than most of this board. Winning one playoff series doesn't change the fact that Sens management has done a number on this team's present and future. I'm not about to let that slide because we beat the worst team in the playoffs in a 7 game series.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Not making those trades and using the 20M in cap space in free agency would have made us more of a contender than we are now:

Hoffman - Zibanejad - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Silfverberg
Smith - Pageau - ??????
Ritchie - White - Dzingel
Pyatt, Noesen

Methot - Karlsson
??????? - Ceci
Harpur - Wideman
Claesson, Borowiecki

Anderson
??????

Roughly 23M in cap space to fill the holes.

And I'm not of the belief that trading almost all of Karlsson's countrymen contributes positively to the likelihood he stays here long-term. Would have preferred to keep guys like Zib, Silf, Dahlen, even Lehner, and create a Swedish stable like in Detroit and Nashville.

When has Ottawa ever been a player in free agency? I have been watching them for over 20 years. Zib as a first line C also makes me cringe. Also, pencilling in Ritchie seems weird, but if you want to project, that's fine.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but we aren't going to be active for any big name free agents. I am also of the belief that Karlsson doesn't really give a **** who is from what country as long as the team is trying to win and compete.

Also, we're in the elite 8 right now, not sure I am a fan of the ????-Ceci pairing. Your strategy is way too conservative for my liking. It seems very Cheveldayoff.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Only things I'm mad about were giving up Dahlen, and adding the 2nd to Brassard for having a cheap owner.

Those are the only things I'd consider mortgaging the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->