The Positivity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I was just thinking about the future (season and beyond) and I remembered the 2010 Washington Capitals. Remember how they ran into a very hot Halak and after that they blew up their team and changed their play-style and it took until this year for them to finally look good again... one thing I hope from all of this is we don't overreact and think we need to change our entire team. This playoff run will do well for guys like Laine, Ehlers (remember this is both of these guys first playoff experience), Trouba, Morrissey and show them how they have to play in the playoffs and how exhausting it is going this far. I think it's important that they don't abandon this ship. I think you study the tape on what Vegas does well and maybe try to adapt to that a bit but don't change the core principles of how the Jets play. Fleury can't be this hot every year. It's been proven by every other stud goalie. He's riding a peak. Our style of play is suited for the current NHL we just need to tighten up and smarten up and I think that is one of those things that sometimes can be remedied with time, practice and games.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
This thread is refreshing. Thank you guys.

Yep. Only safe haven on the boards at this point. team has been resilient all year, expect them to bounce back next game -- thought they'd pull it out last night, actually, but Helle looked shaky, some of last season's body language creeping in. Almost with PoMo had put Mason in for game 2, when less as on the line. Might have seen a stronger, slightly moe mentally rested Helle.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Main positive I have is that I think the Jets are playing like a Stanley Cup team but have run into a godlike goalie. To the rest of Vegas credit they have scored just enough - and Hellebuyck has let in a couple weak / poorly timed ones - but still how many games do the Jets usually win by only scoring 2 goals?

Any other goalie right now and the Jets have won the last 2 by 3 or 4 goals - OR - Vegas still wins but the score is 6-5 or 5-4. (they are good at scoring i'll give them that - but Jets are being robbed time and time again by Fleury Reloaded)

Lots of people I talk to finding reasons to blame PoMo, Hellebuyck, Myers, etc depth guys, PK, etc but I seriously can't relate right now. Tanev on 2nd line for one game or shaky Chiarot-Myers isn't making Fleury save every shot lol. Team playing exactly how I have wanted them to for the last 2 years but sometimes you're goalied. I hate that term but I just can't see the Jets doing anything different to give them a better chance. Vegas' plan hasn't been to just beat us by one goal - its just how its panned out.

Only hope for this season is for the levee to break in game 5 and carry on forward (Toronto won 2 in a row after being down 3-1 against Boston) - but even if we lose tomorrow I think the way this team is being built and playing needs to stay. It's been awesome.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Current mood:

"Well there's a mugger in the alley, there's a sniper in the hall,
there's a girl at the bar who wants to get me by the balls,
and the hangman's in for hangin' if I'll autograph the noose,
Lee Harvey Oswald's brother's on the loose.
A Mafia hitman's got a bullet for my neck;
some day he's gonna get me, but I'm not dead yet."

Reactions: one other person

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm confident that the team will be back even better next year. Helly's play will keep his contract down. All the young guys will be better.
"Losing depth" players like Perrault won't hurt as they aren't scoring and hopefully the added scoring from Niku will make us even better than we were this year. Roslo will contribute even more when he isn't a healthy scratch as long.

Reactions: Ducky10

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Exceeded expectations at the start of the year, exceeded expectations at the start of the playoffs, and for the first time in who knows how long, the long term emotional investment paid some gigantic f***ing dividends. Next year will be even better :)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Great year. After underperforming for a number of years, we took a giant leapfrog forward this year. A lot of fun, and some great playoff experience gained by our young guys. There are no guarantees that we will be back in the post season next year, but I like our chances. Things are looking good for 2018-19. Go Jets Go!

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
One more positive note; It doesn't appear that we were fleeced by Vegas in the exp draft. Perhaps other way around. Suzuki flatlined this year, while Vesalainen looks like a dandy!

Reactions: Ares

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
We finished 32 games above fake .500, and our goaltender was nominated for the Vezina. We finished second overall in the NHL. Just thinking about that gives me chills.

We defeated two division rivals in the playoffs, including the President's trophy winners, and made it to the WC finals.

That's not too shabby.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Terrific season followed by a deep playoff run and lost at exactly the right time, thereby avoiding the Canucks [insert other also-ran team here] legacy of near-missing a Cup that has destroyed them from within for a generation. We can confidently now claim the Exceeded Expectations While Paying Our Dues narrative that will build confidence for next year's Stanley Cup win. Best possible outcome!!!

Reactions: amethyst

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
I believe this thread needs a bump. Challenge a certain few of you to read the last couple pages.

My positives:
  • Looked outside and the sky is not falling.
  • Having cap issues is awesome.

Reactions: DashingDane

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I believe this thread needs a bump. Challenge a certain few of you to read the last couple pages.

My positives:
  • Looked outside and the sky is not falling.
  • Having cap issues is awesome.
Having cap issues when you don't have a lot of dead cap contracts and a couple of killer contracts like Scheifele and Ehlers is great.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Stastny was a surprise bonus last season, it changes nothing. He was never part of the overall plan, so I find it funny that failing to resign him is being seen as a massive hole in our lineup.

We are still a draft a development team and we will continue to build from within. We were a top team in the league last season because of it, and I see zero reason why we can’t again, this season. I for one enjoy the fact that there is some spots available this season, supplying a true competition for several players.

Petan wanted a true shot, its there for him. Lemieux feels he can contribute, and should have some chances to show it. Roslovic has the tools to play in the middle, or maybe Appleton continues to add to his game this season and shows he is ready.

Players need an opportunity, now they are getting it.

Reactions: ulf

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Stastny was a surprise bonus last season, it changes nothing. He was never part of the overall plan, so I find it funny that failing to resign him is being seen as a massive hole in our lineup.

I think it's worth remembering that Chevy attempted to lure Stastny to Winnipeg from Colorado following the 2013-14 season when he was a free agent. Although Stastny signed with St. Louis instead, it is apparent that he was a player Chevy coveted which is why he was still interested in him at the trade deadline this past season. I believe Chevy was really hopeful that Stastny would elect to stay on with the Jets and I wouldn't necessarily characterize the acquisition at the trade deadline as a surprise bonus for the playoff run but rather a thought out plan to add another piece of the puzzle being assembled to continue to have a shot to compete for the Stanley Cup going forward.

:jets

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think it's worth remembering that Chevy attempted to lure Stastny to Winnipeg from Colorado following the 2013-14 season when he was a free agent. Although Stastny signed with St. Louis instead, it is apparent that he was a player Chevy coveted which is why he was still interested in him at the trade deadline this past season. I believe Chevy was really hopeful that Stastny would elect to stay on with the Jets and I wouldn't necessarily characterize the acquisition at the trade deadline as a surprise bonus for the playoff run but rather a thought out plan to add another piece of the puzzle being assembled to continue to have a shot to compete for the Stanley Cup going forward.

:jets

He really became available the night before the trade deadline, so not to sure how much time Chevy had to think about it, but it wasnt much. Had we obtained the player we initially were going for at the deadline, Stastny most likely would not have been a jet.

Chevy having to perform surgery in order to accommodate Stastny tells us he was not in our original plans, or we would have the cap space to retain him.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Wow the positivity thread buried three pages down... :thumbd: :laugh:

Guess all the positive people on this board are busy... :sarcasm:

I really hope Chevy signs and locks up Morrisey long term much sooner than later...

Glad we finally may know what Troubs is up to unless a long-term contract is signed...

What?

This is The Positivity Thread :laugh: :laugh: :D :D

Go :jets Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->