The Positivity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I've spent a large percentage of my time trying to convince other fans to see the team in the light I have for the past few years. Anyone around here knows that.

I've also been a lot more quiet around here this season. There is a direct link to those things. The most enjoyable part of being an eternal optimist is the pure enjoyment of a hobby no matter what.

I was born this way I think. The most fun about this season though is changing my mind about a group of posters I thought would rather hate this team and it's coach/management than credit them for anything.

This thread started as a great idea to help give optomistic posters a place to enjoy and spread the happiness but I think it's greatest success has been allowing a place for those who have been very critical to reevaluate their opinions which has in turn changed my opinion about some people here and allowed me to take even more enjoyment out of this game.

Cudos to anyone who has allowed themselves to change their opinions this year and enjoyed what this team has become/is becoming.

I literally watch this team expecting to win every game now. Its wonderful.
Good post. I myself have eaten a fair share of Maurice-flavored crow this year. Special teams and goals against have both improved dramatically.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
BEST HOME TEAM IN THE LEAGUE.

Let's get 1st in the WEST ( ( and 1st in the league :) )

176 goals for
143 goals against

Also padded their time of lead in games, already was 1st before.

HELLY is 28-6!-8
2.32 gaa
0.924 spct
5 shutouts!

Still not in the line up
Schiefele,
Trouba
Lowry

Tanev
Hendrick

25% of the regular skaters

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Things are so positive that we don't really need a Positivity thread anymore.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Things are so positive that we don't really need a Positivity thread anymore.

You're right, however, even though things are overall positive, there's still some negativity that we are shielded from by participating in this thread. :)

It's become more of a "negativity-free" thread than a "positivity" thread now... And that's a positive!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This thread should be kept around until we confirm our playoff spot.

By my calculations the Jets magic number to clinch a playoff spot is

49 points.

It's actually a little less than that since it doesn't take into account the games the wild card contenders play against each other. In any event it's going to be a while until it's mathematically impossible to miss.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
20180207_154943.png

I've waited so long to see the Jets ascend and the Blackhawks fizzle out. I really hate them, and this feels so good.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Hah! That's great. Pretty weird to see the Hawks 17pts back of the Jets with this much left to play in the season.

Reactions: GNP

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
By my calculations the Jets magic number to clinch a playoff spot is

49 points.

It's actually a little less than that since it doesn't take into account the games the wild card contenders play against each other. In any event it's going to be a while until it's mathematically impossible to miss.

According to Sportsclubstats, 109 points puts us "in" which I think means we clinch the playoffs mathematically. That's 36 more points.

Winnipeg Jets Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

The site also puts our chances of Winning the President's trophy at 3.6%. With a healthy Scheif in the lineup, I think that might be a bit low. I can definitely see is passing Vegas and Nashville down the stretch. And the Lightning have been mediocre lately. Anyway, the President's trophy isn't the one that really matters...

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Helle's performance has had a profound impact on this team. That plus less penalties and fewer odd man rushes probably helps too. ST are performing well. Even the crazy passive PK open season for hunting shooting galery system is working ok, although I think that is heavily influenced by Helle as opposed to it being a sound strategy. Anyway, awesome year. I hope that our backup keepers can recover and then find some puck luck to stay healthy. If you look at PPG, we are 3rd in the west and 5th in the league I think. Certainly better than expected at the start of the season.

Keep it up, boys! GJG!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We just lost two in a row at home. The game before we weren't great either. So, now that we have gotten our slump out of the system, we can go on an epic winning streak!

Reactions: Sabadecade

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I know not everyone is a fan of math and that. And it's only one model, and that Sports Club Stats is far less generous.

but it is the truth all the same.

Midway through February, and according to one math model, the Jets are odds-on favorites to win the cup.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 7.04.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 7.04.31 PM.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 27

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
So JETS are as of Feb 16

Tied for 1st in points in the Central with Nashville
Tied for 2nd in the west with Nashville , behind Las Vegas
Tied for 4th in the league with Nashville and only 4 points back of Tampa for 1st in the league

3rd in Power play
4th in PK

5th in goals for
8th in goals against

Helly just had his 30th win, 3 behind ESSENSA and HAYWARD to tie for all time wins in a season.

Laine has 26 goals now if he keeps his pace, he is to get 10-11 more goals. Right around his last year mark. Above Kovalchuk's 1st 2 years.

Keep it up BOYS!

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I've noticed the Jet's are getting more consistent in their wins, and not letting up for a period, and putting in a solid 60 minute effort. I think that comes from maturity, and good leadership from the veterans on the team.

Considering we're winning without some of our top players, and we're getting great goaltending-- I think this team has enough talent, right now, to win the Stanley Cup. We have defeated most all of the top teams in the NHL we've played, and this team has enough to go "all the way." :thumbu:

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Things are looking good when the tank threads and “should we try to make the playoffs or get a lottery pick” threads are replaced with “who we like to matchup up with in the 1st round/division /cup finals” threads

Whileee

May 29, 2010
According to Sportsclub's models - probability of home-ice advantage in the first round (i.e. 1st or 2nd in the Division)...

13-8-2... 98%
12-8-3... 95%
12-9-2... 90%
11-9-3... 83%
10-10-3... 58%

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Wow this team is something special.

I'm posting a lot less because the players/coaches/management don't need my defending which seemed to be my primary purpose of being here.

Funny how rolling over the league for 3rd place in February can do that....

I'm really happy with how the XD shook out at this point. I always liked it but looking back at some of the conversation about what we could or should have lost or who we would have traded before it..... My god it could have been horrible. (My ideas included).

Expose: Myers (my pick)… Lowry, Frenchy, Enstrom

Trade: Frenchy, Armia, Copp, Myers, Buff...

We lost Chris Thorburn.... Who wasn't going to be resigned

And we got Kristian Vesalainen instead of any number of decent D.

Well played Chevy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->