The players must vote ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
If the NHLPA is going to die on their sword in the next few days, they MUST have a general vote on it.

If the season is cancelled, many players will never see another NHL contract.

The bottom 10 or so % of NHL'ers who were on the last year of their contract, just wont get a new contract offer. Just like always, some guys dont ever get back to the show.

Other guys like Yzerman and Chelios, just will be too old and rusty and wont bother coming back.

Hey, its there damn life and money if they want to throw it away just to spite the owners, but at least let the players vote first.

DR

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
its a trap, it must be :joker:
dont confuse my post with a change in my opinion. the owners are scoundrals for taking it to this measure.

however, they are and thats that.

dr

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
I agree completely. I'd think enough players would vote to give into cost certainty and save the season, as long as their salary rollback is off the table.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I agree completely. They are the ones who will ultimately pay for this lockout and should have the final say. After all it's THEIR union and THEY should be the ones that ultimately decide what course of action to take. If they choose to scrap the season then so be it but it should be their choice.

I can see the "unbiased" ballads now...

Cancel the season?

YES__
A yes vote would mean you are willing to stick up against tyranny everywhere, you want world peace and you are a real man. :cheers: :thumbu:

NO__ (please sign your name_____________)
A no vote would mean you are a backsliding traitor and a spineless little man who hates puppies and children. :dunce: :devil:

Hockey_Nut99

There won't be a vote. Bob G and the executive Commitee of overpayed and has been losers are in charge. They won't let it happen.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Hockey_Nut99 said:
There won't be a vote. Bob G and the executive Commitee of overpayed and has been losers are in charge. They won't let it happen.
you have added nothing to the conversation. thanks for coming out.

dr

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Are there any players on the NHLPA's executive committee earning the league average or less or is it strictly a rich boys' club?

Last edited:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
misterjaggers said:
Are there any players on the NHLPA's executive committee earning the league average or less or is it strictly a rich boys' club?

Well then the rank and file member only have themselves to blame. They voted the executive in.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Unless I was in the top 20% of contracts I would be pissed. It seems as though holding out for anything is only going to guarantee that the top players keep making the big bucks and everyone else the same.

If I was an older player, or a 3rd or 4th liner I would be very pissed that I am sacrificing my career and taking a huge pay cut so clowns like Pronger can make $10 mil. I wouldnt stand for it.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
don't also forget that some players (i won't mention names but one is a no. 19 and the other a no. 4) are still getting paid during this lockout and this is one of the few things you can fault the avs for to some extent.

i think its time for the small time players to speak up. their life-long earnings are at stake. if i was a fringe player right now, also having to support a family, i would lose all of my bladder and sphincter controls. the apocalypse is near for guys like montador and commodore. of all the people involved in this lockout (including the fans), it is these men that have the most to lose.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
jericholic19 said:
i think its time for the small time players to speak up. their life-long earnings are at stake. if i was a fringe player right now, also having to support a family, i would lose all of my bladder and sphincter controls. the apocalypse is near for guys like montador and commodore. of all the people involved in this lockout (including the fans), it is these men that have the most to lose.
I'm sure the NHLPA is hearing an earful from this group of players.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Hockey_Nut99 said:

If the NHL tells the NHLPA that they have given their best and final offer, the NHLPA refusing to allow a vote on it would be an unfair labor practice....

SENSible1*

They need to vote AND it needs to be a private ballot.

I'd like to see the same for the owners.

If they are going to cancel the season, then I'd like to have both groups formally declare their will through a secret ballot.

If the NHL tells the NHLPA that they have given their best and final offer, the NHLPA refusing to allow a vote on it would be an unfair labor practice....

It would appear to be from a layman's point of view. Can anyone with a legal background provide clarification if this is an unfair labour practice and if it would qualify as "bargaining in bad faith"?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bicycle Repairman said:
I'm sure the NHLPA is hearing an earful from this group of players.

There are many players who want to play.From the young players to the Europeans to the second,third and fourth line players to #3-6 defensemen

Some big money players want to play too

For every Trevor Linden,there are ten players who want to play.

It seems Linden,Bill Guerin,Vincent Damphousse and Daniel Alfredsson are only looking after the interests of the rich players

Let Bryan McCabe,Adam Foote and Chris Chelios make their stupid comments

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
theBob said:
If I was an older player, or a 3rd or 4th liner I would be very pissed that I am sacrificing my career and taking a huge pay cut so clowns like Pronger can make $10 mil. I wouldnt stand for it.

Totally wrong. A cap won't hurt guys like Pronger. Superstars will still get superstar money. Its the 3rd and 4th liners that will be hurt the most.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
Totally wrong. A cap won't hurt guys like Pronger. Superstars will still get superstar money. Its the 3rd and 4th liners that will be hurt the most.

That's exactly what he said. Try reading his posts before jumping all over him.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
DR said:
If the NHLPA is going to die on their sword in the next few days, they MUST have a general vote on it.

The bottom 10 or so % of NHL'ers who were on the last year of their contract, just wont get a new contract offer. Just like always, some guys dont ever get back to the show.

Other guys like Yzerman and Chelios, just will be too old and rusty and wont bother coming back.

Hey, its there damn life and money if they want to throw it away just to spite the owners, but at least let the players vote first.

DR

We finally agree. I started a thread on letting the players vote 2 months ago and if memory serves me right I believe you jumped all over me for suggesting it didn't you? A secret vote will end this thing because I know the NHLPA gag order from the intimidating Bob Goodenow to the high priced overpaid player reps that are only looking out for their own interests will be very suprised to know that most players are willing to play within a cost linkage system. A vote would mean that common sense could prevail over the stubborn minority opinions of Bob and his clonies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
DR said:

DR

Vote? Why would they vote so they could see that 98% of the players are standing by Goodenow? I love how people hear a half a dozen nobody name players complain and they assume that all the players are thinking that. :joker:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Vote? Why would they vote so they could see that 98% of the players are standing by Goodenow? I love how people hear a half a dozen nobody name players complain and they assume that all the players are thinking that. :joker:
I love how people hear the negotiating committee talk about "never" accepting a cap and they assume that all the rank and file players are thinking that. :joker:

SENSible1*

FLYLine4LIFE said:

If you are right, and 98% are standing behind Goodenow, the vote will simply confirm this fact and let him take the player's into an oblivion of their own making.

Why would taking a vote bother you?

And before you ask, yes I think the owners should also hold a secret ballot before cancelling the season.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
With only 30 owners, there's not really a need to vote. Bettman etc know *exactly* how each owner feels, they've been in direct contact for months. That's not possible with 800 players or whatever the number is.

But a vote will never happen. Too much potential for bad stuff to happen for the PA, imagine if the results were leaked?

Nope, part of being in a union is accepting your fate.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
eye said:
That's exactly what he said. Try reading his posts before jumping all over him.

Maybe you should read his post. He said the 3rd and 4th liners should be pissed that they are sacrifcing so guys like Pronger can make $10 million. I said guys like Pronger will continue to make superstar money, no matter what system is in place. If there's a cap, the low end guys get the brunt. That is why they're willing to sacrifice now.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
As soon as the union takes a private vote and makes the results public to see if players would accept a cap system no matter how it's phrased it spells the end of the union or at the very least union executive. It shows the world the exectutive doesn't have a clue what the other 700 members think if they should "lose" that vote. It may be done privately or in an informal manner so that the union executive can then negotiate the best deal given the new parameters that the rank and file want. But to make it public if the vote ends up saying the bulk of the players would accept a cap system would destroy any sort of leverage the union has (and they have very little to begin with). It would be broken. Quite honestly I think the NHLPA negotiating team should be trying hard to find a way to save face at this time. Get the most concessions they can in the owners system given it seems apparent that one way or the other that system is going to be in place when the NHL gets back to the ice. Do it now get concessions. Do it later and have very little to absolutely no say in anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad