The players are pro-fan, why aren't they playing this angle more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
CarlRacki said:
Amen.
It's about time somebody stood up and said the players are looking out for us. :shakehead

I am glad that the players are looking out for the parking attendants, ticket takers, beer vendors......ushers......

oh, and let's not forget about these people known as fans.

:dunce: :lol :lol :joker:

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
ouch

I pity everyone with class envy. Its pretty pathetic, actually. How could someone be as pathetic to feel envious to those who make more? give me a friggin' break.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
scaredsensfan said:
I pity everyone with class envy. Its pretty pathetic, actually. How could someone be as pathetic to feel envious to those who make more? give me a friggin' break.

So what was your reaction when Alexei Yashin dishonored his contract with the Senators?
Save your pity for yourself.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
It isn't class envy.

It is being annoyed that some players don't show common social respect. There are players that sign a bit contract and then for personal reasons, or other factors don't perform. There are some that just become a bit lazy sometimes after the contract. They are not better then some union employee that doesn't do his job but knows they can't get fired. And in any work place I consider a person like that to be a loser.

I will point out those people and players are a minority. But there are times where you can be annoyed by the behavior of a few players and it isn't a class issue. In fact I think the people that often feel it is all a class issue, perhaps may not think highly enough of themselves. Just repeat to yourself I am as good of a person as any NHL player, a few times a day and maybe you will get over that.

myrocketsgotcracked

scaredsensfan said:

owners are pro-fan, why arent they playing this angle more?
oh you dont agree to this? thats class envy, which is pretty pathetic, how could someone be as pathetic to feel envious to those who make more? give me a friggin' break. :shakehead

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Because Goodenow is being out worked in the PR war.

Goodenow and the NHLPA has let people believe players salaries are 75% of the NHL revenues. Goodenow and the NHLPA has let people believe a salary cap will equal lower ticket prices. Heck i hear people still call this labor stoppage a players strike not a owners lockout.

That tell you how out to lunch Goodenow has been on some of the issues.

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
scaredsensfan said:

Wholly smokes you hit this one out of the park! (not). I am pro-owner and anti-player in this dispute. How can I be accused of class envy? The owners are in an even higher class than the players. It is the players pathetic attitude in the negotiations to this date that make me so negative towards them.

It all started with the rhetoric the NHLPA started spewing 5 years ago when Gary Bettman was so kind as to advise the them that there were would be cost certainty in the new CBA. Instead of using their minds to find a creative way of benefiting from a system with cost certainty they have been saying they are prepared to sit out as many years as it takes to avoid this evil scary idea.

Dumbass comments like Robert Esche, esteemed Philadelphia Flyers player rep, saying the players would not come back to play for even a $200 million cap because its called a cap reflects their blind admiration of Bob Goodenow as they prepare to drink the koolaid.

I respect people who are honest, loyal, kind and concerned for the well-being of their fellow man whether they are the homeless I meet on the streets or the richest person on Earth. I have never and will never look up or down at someone because of the size of their wallet.

Try again scaredsensfan.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Because Goodenow is being out worked in the PR war.

Goodenow and the NHLPA has let people believe players salaries are 75% of the NHL revenues. Goodenow and the NHLPA has let people believe a salary cap will equal lower ticket prices. Heck i hear people still call this labor stoppage a players strike not a owners lockout.

That tell you how out to lunch Goodenow has been on some of the issues.
Goodenow has lost the PR and the common sense wars...and everytime one of the players opens up his trap, they become candidates for the prestigious "Knob Goodenow Man of the Year Award...and the award goes to Chri$ Pronger...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Wait. The players and owners are BOTH pro-fan. They're pro-fan coming to games, paying to park and for tickets. They're pro-fan buying beers and hot dogs and jerseys and knit caps and mini-sticks and pucks and foam fingers and what have you. And they're pro-fan re-upping their season ticket orders when prices go up. Make no mistake - they're pro-fan. They're especially pro-fan when fan comes back after an unnecessarily long work stoppage while they fight over the millions of dollars they're going to make off the fan. And fan will come back, like nothing ever happened. I know I will. Call me a lemming, a sheep, call me mindless and spineless. It's all true. But at least the owners and players are pro-me.

The truth is, fan is acting in his own self-interest during the lockout as well. Fan wants whatever system comes out of all this labot mess to do two things: give his team the best chance possible to compete for a playoff spot; and to keep his ticket price as low as possible.

But fan will show up regardless. Sure, some corporate "non-fans" are sucking up the best, most-expensive seats, but most of the arenas are filled with fan. We love hockey, and we're going to come back.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The players could care less about me, you, the league, the teams, or the Cup. If that isn't painfully obvious, you're about as oblivious as the players are.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
You're freaking kidding me? How many players have said so many "nice" thinkgs about the city they are playing in, and how great the fans are, then turn tail and leave in a blink of an eye when a better deal comes up? Yeah, they're in it for the fans. The loyalty they show to the cities and the fans are just proof of that. And that's why the players keep milking more and more money out of the teams and why they hold out at the drop of a hat. The players are pro-fan? What a joke.

:shakehead

Right on again. Loyalty and Respect are two words missing from just about every players dictionary these days. The game would be 100% better and we would still be playing hockey if players could find a way to regain the loyalty and respect that players once played with.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Seachd said:
The players could care less about me, you, the league, the teams, or the Cup. If that isn't painfully obvious, you're about as oblivious as the players are.
Years ago the players cared about the fans and the cities they played in, then came Bob Goodenow and he made them big money by getting guys to uproot their families and move to markets that would pay them more money... Goodenow has done an awesome job for the PA, up until this year when he underestimated the owners resolve this time around...

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
the bottom line?

The owners have an intrinsic interest in the city they are in.

Individually, the players dont.

Even when it suits their needs as a group, they cant step away from their individual wants....just look at their stance on contraction.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
There are MANY players who sincerely care about the fans, and some will agree ticket prices and the cost to see a friggen GAME is way too much. There are owners who agree with tha above. Then there are players (Jagr, Limpdros, McCabe and such) who could care less if you and the kids ever pay to see them, as they know they will play in front of corporate suits (tax write off) just as easily. There are owners who WILL NOT reduce ticket prices if salaries go down.

Bottom line: Choosing sides is choosing mouthpieces. This whole circus is amazing, and scary, as I have ZERO faith in Knob Goodenfatten or Ratboy Buttman being in the least bi interested in the real legs of the League: the paying fan (I say "paying" with a Nedd Beatty/Deliverance visual).

I root for the right system to come out of no where and get both sides to agree.

I just don't think the richest players & Knob Scrotumnow and the disaster ownerships and Ratfeces Bettman will agree to even look at it unless they both can get a buck out of the deal.

Players have only so many years to make millions of dollars playing a game, and then they have to work at jobs they would easily make double what anyone else would in the same role.

Owners had to spend millions of dollars to buy a team to use it as a tax write off or to HAVE TO wait until it double in value in some 10 years or so.

I have no sympathy for either side, and can guarantee that tickets will be more expensive in the coming season, or in three years, regardless of who wins.

The fans will lose no matter what. And by going to games with a ferver the past decade, watching team payrolls escalate between4 and 12 percent each and every year this past CBA, you gave a resounding approval to the way they chose to do business (BOTH the player reps and the GM's) and gave the green light telling them ALL you were WILLING and EAGER to pay more to watch the worst hockey ever played (trap.....trap......trap......sounds like my sink, and for only $80 US!).

I'm disgusted with everyone.

I will root for the players, especially the ones who hit McCabe after the resumption, or who send a flying puck into Wurtz's booth. Quinn's kidneys (if he still has kidneys). Bettman or Goodenow's faces. And so on.

I urge people to stop going to games until ticket prices are reigned in for the middle class to be able to go, once again, or to justify why tickets should be over $100 a seat.

Sorry......end of rant.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Luc Labelle said:
Wholly smokes you hit this one out of the park! (not). I am pro-owner and anti-player in this dispute. How can I be accused of class envy? The owners are in an even higher class than the players. It is the players pathetic attitude in the negotiations to this date that make me so negative towards them.

It all started with the rhetoric the NHLPA started spewing 5 years ago when Gary Bettman was so kind as to advise the them that there were would be cost certainty in the new CBA. Instead of using their minds to find a creative way of benefiting from a system with cost certainty they have been saying they are prepared to sit out as many years as it takes to avoid this evil scary idea.

Dumbass comments like Robert Esche, esteemed Philadelphia Flyers player rep, saying the players would not come back to play for even a $200 million cap because its called a cap reflects their blind admiration of Bob Goodenow as they prepare to drink the koolaid.

I respect people who are honest, loyal, kind and concerned for the well-being of their fellow man whether they are the homeless I meet on the streets or the richest person on Earth. I have never and will never look up or down at someone because of the size of their wallet.

Try again scaredsensfan.
He will try again- nonsense in every second post. Class envy. Please.

Hockey_Nut99

I keep hearing the same argument over and over from the "pro-player" side:

"The owner's got themselves into this mess by spending like crazy, exercising no restraint. Their (and I hear this a lot) OWN STUPIDITY has put them into the position they are in today"

OK, most of us can agree with that statement. The problem I have with that is, the union will unceremoniously block any attempt at a cap, or luxury tax with major teeth (acts like a cap).

Correct me if I'm wrong here folks, but aren't the owners doing now, exactly what the union people think they should have done all along?

"They wanted to pay it, so we took it, how can you blame us?" True...now they don't want to pay it, aren't they fixing their...stupid...mistake from the past?

If the owners accepted the players proposal of the 24% rollback, wouldn't they still be acting "stupid"?

I agree the owners made this mess, and the players took whatever they could and that was great. But you can't damn them for past mistakes, then deny them the ability to fix those past mistakes. This is the argument that we as fans see, but the players refuse to see. That my friends is the frustrating part of this whole deal.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Hockey_Nut99 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here folks, but aren't the owners doing now, exactly what the union people think they should have done all along?
Thats exactly what I want to know.

They want the owners to clean up the mess but want them to do it without changing anything they do.

Lanny MacDonald*

iagreewithidiots said:
Thats exactly what I want to know.

They want the owners to clean up the mess but want them to do it without changing anything they do.

No, that's incorrect. The pro-player agenda wants the owners to try and fix things under the old system... so the NHLPA can sue them for collusion and make billions!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
neither side is pro or anti fan....

that is an emotional aspect of this whole thing...

all they ( either side) care about is how much of the 2 billion they can get. Period .

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
No, that's incorrect. The pro-player agenda wants the owners to try and fix things under the old system... so the NHLPA can sue them for collusion and make billions!
Now it all becomes clear.

Anti cap fan: The owners created this mess and they should clean it up without the players help.

Pro cap fan: They feel a cap is the best way to do that.

Anti cap fan: A cap wont work look at the NFL. Just a bunch of mediocre teams, nobody can sustain sucess, well ok the Pats can, but...oh nevermind. If you want a cap then you are a lemming, a chump, a lap dog, a moron, and you have a small penis.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
iagreewithidiots said:
Now it all becomes clear.

Anti cap fan: The owners created this mess and they should clean it up without the players help.

Pro cap fan: They feel a cap is the best way to do that.

Anti cap fan: A cap wont work look at the NFL. Just a bunch of mediocre teams, nobody can sustain sucess, well ok the Pats can, but...oh nevermind. If you want a cap then you are a lemming, a chump, a lap dog, a moron, and you have a small penis.

You forgot "poodle"

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->