OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
How does Jimmy G, who only started 7 career games in his career, become the highest paid player per year?

He had all the leverage. The 49ers aren't going to send a 2nd rounder to the Pats only to let the guy walk. The 49ers basically handed him a blank check.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
One Super Bowl is so cute... They just joined the likes of the Saints and Colts....lol

Philly, where the men are men and so are the women.
And the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, LA Rams.

OK Philly, you’ve had your fun. Good luck keeping it up with more fired up divisional rivals who all had down years, a healthy Rodgers, and everyone ready to take you down.

Also, good luck seeing another Philly team win a championship any time soon.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
We hired a pedophile enabler with no NFL experience. This is so obviously a result of the good ol' boy nepotism network that it makes me nauseous. Did they even interview Pagano?
1. That's a very damning and sour accusation of someone who's held coaching positions outside of Penn State since the scandal with little to no fanfare.
2. Do you realize that you tie yourself to that "pedophile enabler" by engaging in we-ism? (We-ism is annoying as it is, especially from Pittsburgh fans, but here it's more humorous.) "WE hired..." oh really, I didn't know you were with the team.

I'll wait to see how Bradley does in a pro coaching role, I'm not holding my breath because he wasn't stellar in the roles I've seen him in in college ball but who knows?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
1. That's a very damning and sour accusation of someone who's held coaching positions outside of Penn State since the scandal with little to no fanfare.
2. Do you realize that you tie yourself to that "pedophile enabler" by engaging in we-ism? (We-ism is annoying as it is, especially from Pittsburgh fans, but here it's more humorous.) "WE hired..." oh really, I didn't know you were with the team.

I'll wait to see how Bradley does in a pro coaching role, I'm not holding my breath because he wasn't stellar in the roles I've seen him in in college ball but who knows?

1. Greg Schiano, Tom Bradley knew of Jerry Sandusky abuse at Penn State, documents show
2. LOL

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
That article simply cites McQueary's deposition. It's basically several paragraphs repeating what McQueary said in his 2014 deposition with no further testimony (not that he's incorrect, of course, but that's literally all the article is).

I don't know what he knew, because I wasn't there (and neither were you), so I'm not going to comment on his guilt, but if he had anything to do with it, he at least wouldn't be a coach for any team.

I guess you don't have a real comment on the we-ism thing?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
That article simply cites McQueary's deposition. It's basically several paragraphs repeating what McQueary said in his 2014 deposition with no further testimony (not that he's incorrect, of course, but that's literally all the article is).

I don't know what he knew, because I wasn't there (and neither were you), so I'm not going to comment on his guilt, but if he had anything to do with it, he at least wouldn't be a coach for any team.

McQueary could be lying, but I find his testimony to be reliable. What's more, given Bradley's position in the Penn State coaching hierarchy, it seems a silly notion to claim that he didn't know.

I guess you don't have a real comment on the we-ism thing?

Sure don't, it wasn't worth one.

domaug

Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Jeez wonder why they would go to such lengths to fake their plays...

Philadelphia Eagles may have held fake Super Bowl walk-through to foil any Spygate tactics
this is amazing lol
McQueary could be lying, but I find his testimony to be reliable. What's more, given Bradley's position in the Penn State coaching hierarchy, it seems a silly notion to claim that he didn't know.

Sure don't, it wasn't worth one.
Well I'm just curious when the Steelers hired you and what role you had in hiring Bradley (if any).

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I say "we" all the time because it's frankly less awkward than saying "them" or "the Penguins" or whatever, and also I spend 100s of hours per year watching the games and about the same amount thinking and reading about them. It's a huge part of my life.

Also about 70% of hardcore sports fans do it. Calling someone out for it, especially if they're being reasonable and thoughtful while doing it, as Brandinho always is, just makes you look like a pretentious ass.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sorry to butt in and go off topic, but the “we” thing is so stupid, IMO. Who cares if a fan says “we” when talking about their favorite team? I think we all know we aren’t actually employed by the team. It’s silly to call someone out for saying it.

Many fans feel like they are part of the team, so they obviously say "we".

I've always been realistic about when I'm actually on a team or not, but to each their own.

I just have noticed with these kind of fans, many of them say "we" when things are going well, and "them" when the team overall blows or plays shitty.

That is pretty annoying, but typical fan behavior I suppose.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The question is creating money to what end?

Signing Bell, I guess? I had higher hope that they would create cap space by cutting Mitchell instead....if he's still playing on the team next year I'll be pretty unhappy

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Signing Bell, I guess? I had higher hope that they would create cap space by cutting Mitchell instead....if he's still playing on the team next year I'll be pretty unhappy

I'm not enamored of about the prospect of them paying Bell what I think they're about to pay him.

But, yes, I'd be ******* livid if Mitchell is here next year. That guy is passing games biggest asset.

Reactions: Andy99

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

I've always been realistic about when I'm actually on a team or not, but to each their own.

I just have noticed with these kind of fans, many of them say "we" when things are going well, and "them" when the team overall blows or plays ****ty.

You have 22,465 posts on a sports message board. You're clearly invested in your teams well beyond the average fan. You must identify with your teams strongly or else you wouldn't be here. Using "we" simply denotes some level of identification with a group. It certainly doesn't mean, for any mentally well adjusted individual, "hey, I'm a part of this team, I should get a paycheck".

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You have 22,465 posts on a sports message board. You're clearly invested in your teams well beyond the average fan. You must identify with your teams strongly or else you wouldn't be here. Using "we" simply denotes some level of identification with a group. It certainly doesn't mean, for any mentally well adjusted individual, "hey, I'm a part of this team, I should get a paycheck".

Nah.

I'm passionate about hockey, have been my entire life. I'm a big Pens fan as well, obviously, but I don't identify myself with the team.

It's never been a "we" situation. I was always me, and I played for my own teams, while with my favorite sports teams I knew I wasn't anything more than a fan. It's just for entertainment, just like with my favorite actors or musicians.

I don't identify with being a part of Social D just because I love their music. I don't say "we just released an album" when they cut a new CD.

When they win, they get the glory and the money. We get to be entertained. That's what I want, to be entertained and watch fast past, highly skilled hockey from my favorite team.

I don't wear Pens or Steelers gear around or let their fortunes have any effect on my life. I spent most of the second half of the Steelers-Jax game making jokes and laughing about Tomlin living through Groundhogs Day every playoffs.

Reactions: domaug

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Sports teams are not like musicians or most other forms of entertainment. Because of the competitive aspect of it, sports has a far more tribal element, and because of that fans feel they're part of that tribe, especially fans who hold season tickets. Hence the use of "we". This is probably most obvious at the HS and collegiate levels.

If you can detach yourself from the tribal aspect, good for you, but it doesn't mean those who take part are silly.

Reactions: Goku

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why not both?

Could be both, but I'm just not a big fan of redoing contracts to push cap hits to future years. Steelers got into a few problems with that a few years ago and then got out of it finally. I wouldn't like to see it happen again...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

I just have noticed with these kind of fans, many of them say "we" when things are going well, and "them" when the team overall blows or plays ****ty.

I know that when we had 30 fans as opposed to the 5 that normally showed up to watch our game, I was inspired. :) so I know that fans can help a team to play better. and if you can improve the team play. I think you could claim as being a part of it of Corse if a few of them were babes, that would work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad