OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
How would you react if Tomlin benched Bell for the SB because he was late for meetings?

However none of that changes the point that Cole makes that Tomlin has zero control over this team and its players. I would be fine if he benched players for part or all of regular season games, and took other actions, to take control of the team.

The difference is that the Patriots already have a culture of discipline and responsibility. And consequences. So if they make a slight deviation given circumstances it is not going to undermine that. The Steelers under Tomlin are a joke as he would rather be best buddies with the players than their coach. And it has cost the team.

Reactions: KIRK

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
do we have any confirmation as to butlers offense or are we just speculating on that before speculating on what the steelers equivalent response would be?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
do we have any confirmation as to butlers offense or are we just speculating on that before speculating on what the steelers equivalent response would be?

No one here is speculating, but people with connections such as reporters have tweeted that the infraction that got him benched were those or similar. People here are just sharing what has been tweeted and reported.

The Patriots are not talking. But I bet Butler does before long. He is a UFA so he has no reason to keep his mouth shut and a lot of incentive to explain himself and apologize for whatever it was to keep his value up.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The difference is that the Patriots already have a culture of discipline and responsibility. And consequences. So if they make a slight deviation given circumstances it is not going to undermine that.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. A slight deviation is where it starts and it can snowball from there. Patriots have that culture because (to the best of everyone's knowledge) they do not let big or small incidents slide.

The simplest way to see the difference between the Steelers and Patriots is looking at their mantras..."Do your job" vs "The standard is the standard" AKA some nonsensical phrase that the coach keeps repeating until people thinks it means something.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The last time we disciplined a player it backfired and still say it was a huge reason we lost the superbowl against the packers. Whether it was rooney, tomlin, whole front office...got rid of Santonio Holmes because of a bar fight (after the whole ben situation, when our franchise was known for its upstanding tradition). We keep him and likely win it all. Went into that game with brown and sanders as rookies. Ward had one foot in the grave. And wallace was a one trick pony.

Packers lost half of their secondary in the second half and we still couldnt take advantage. Ben couldnt get on page with any of them. Running wrong routes, dropping balls, etc. Theres no doubt Holmes would have helped us win another.

Was a different time then, if he did that now, they wouldn't have traded him.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
27503154_1821339097912770_5165634810149186402_o.jpg

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
No heat, but I always say in all things to choose your battles.

We do not know all of the facts, but reportedly it was merely missing a meeting and partying with a celeb during SB week and missing a curfew or something like that. If so then that is way too rigid given the time and place. You send messages for things like that regular season. If there is more going on that they then maybe I get it.

You can not set some black and white line even if you have a hard ass and 'this is the culture' reputation. Choose your battles, in situations like this and in life.

Agreed. The coach's job is ultimately to help his team win championships, not maintain a culture. One is a means to the end of the other, and ultimately should be treated as such in my opinion.

A disciplined team culture can/should help a team succeed, both in the current and future seasons. But in this case, benching one of your best defensive players in the championship game, while your D is getting shredded, purely to keep your disciplinary standard intact seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Like Jaded said, pick your battles.

That said, it happened to the Patriots, so I couldn't be happier :)

Reactions: KIRK and Jaded-Fan

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
by playing malcolm butler exclusively on special teams. he had a down year, but was still a sure tackler and his replacements were getting eaten alive. butler played almost every snap during the season
Gillmore shutdown Jeffery, especially after the 1st Q. The other TD's were caught by a TE, a RB, and a QB. Sure Agholor had a big game but I doubt Butler would have changed much.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I just hope all the people who complain and make fun of the Patriots do not get upset when people do it about the Pens.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I just hope all the people who complain and make fun of the Patriots do not get upset when people do it about the Pens.

Pens never got caught by the league twice for cheating.

Uncle Gary was in on the Crosby fix, so obviously no suspensions or fines.

We are definitely very similar.

People always get jealous of success and hate teams/people for it. However, I don't see any connection between the Pens, a well known class org, and a sleazy org like the Pats who are convicted cheaters and treat their players like meat.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
No one here is speculating, but people with connections such as reporters have tweeted that the infraction that got him benched were those or similar. People here are just sharing what has been tweeted and reported.

The Patriots are not talking. But I bet Butler does before long. He is a UFA so he has no reason to keep his mouth shut and a lot of incentive to explain himself and apologize for whatever it was to keep his value up.
even if thats true chandler jones played after his drug incident, so seems like selective enforcement for bb too. heck, butler played too. why not make inactive?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Comes with the territory, IMO. People hate seeing the same teams win all the time.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

People always get jealous of success and hate teams/people for it. However, I don't see any connection between the Pens, a well known class org, and a sleazy org like the Pats who are convicted cheaters and treat their players like meat.

Your first sentence is what i was mainly referring to

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
That said, I've been an Eagles fan (being from Harrisburg and all) when I've watched the NFL, but I think I'm done with football for good now.

I can't rep a side that willingly eats horse feces.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Pens have a long history of cheating: Pens tanked in '84. Mario dove in Game 2 of '92 Stanley Cup. Uncle Gary got us Crosby. Crosby and Malkin are whining Superstars. Orpik refused to drop the gloves and goaded Thornton into a fifteen game suspension. Brent Johnson K.O'd DiPietro forcing the Isles to take retribution. They employed Matt Cooke and Billy Tibbetts. Crosby cheats on Faceoffs. Malkin is a dirty Russian. The list goes on . . .

Seriously, I only half-watched the SB, as I was tending to a lot of family matters. I was sort of surprised there was no penalty called on the head shot to Cooks. I know the College targeting rule has issues, but I thought that looked particularly bad for the NFL in the Super Bowl. Refs took a play out of the NHL rulebook and really let a lot of regular season interference calls (and other penalties) go uncalled in the playoffs this year. They must have gotten the memo that they will not be the center of attention (other than trying to enforce the catch rule).

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Is it just me or is every Eagles fan just coming out of the woodwork now? So many people I didn’t even know were Eagles fans are now thumping their chests seemingly out of nowhere.

Good for them. And a little bit of money lost aside - im glad they beat New England.

But eff this “oh we still have the most Super Bowls yipeee!” talk. That won’t hold for long. ‘09 is seeming more and more like ancient history now. The Steelers need to take matters into their own hands and at least win one more with this core.

Unfortunately, I just don’t see it happening.

Also: wow is defense bad these days. Top ranked D’s in the Jags, Vikings, Pats and Eagles got shredded this postseason. So rag on about the Steelers’ D not being good enough, but with the offensive firepower, this team as a whole was still plenty good enough to win it all this year.

But discipline. The divas. Coaching. Etc... I get it. Part of why I’m not so sure I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->