OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The Jets moving up to 3rd in the draft pretty much guarantees Darnold, Rosen, and Allen are taken 1-3. I'm curious if the Browns will go with Chubb or Barkley at #4.

They should.go with barkley. Getting a possible franchise qb and rb in the same draft could finally change that organization around. If they fail on the qb tho..after passing up Wentz, Watson..etc..forget it. Move the team..again.

They have to get that right. And adding a RB like Barkley would help in any Qbs development.

Reactions: domaug

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
1 year at 7 mil for honey badger.....wtf, man.

This team really is gonna rely on the draft or some career backup to fill out the safety and ilb spots.

That number was a little surprising . . .

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Hopefully they can sign him, would be a huge upgrade over DHB.

For the same money you have to think he stays in New England. If he's signing elsewhere it means Bill "I only answer media questions about the history of punt coverage" Belichick didn't want to pay him. Hard to see someone else getting good value in that dynamic.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
For the same money you have to think he stays in New England. If he's signing elsewhere it means Bill "I only answer media questions about the history of punt coverage" Belichick didn't want to pay him. Hard to see someone else getting good value in that dynamic.

He turns 33 at the start of the season and he's a gunner with no value anywhere else. Yeah, he's very good at what he does, but if he slips at all, you've wasted money and a roster spot.

Reactions: domaug and Sideline

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Morgan Burnett headed to Steelers. Haden last year and now him.

Huge pickup. Said we had to get lucky and not have a team throw big money at him. And figured we were adding a safety after getting rid of both mitchell and golden(cant replace just thru draft).

He beat us in the superbowl in his rookie season..hasnt been back since...now its time to help us win it all next year.

Burns - Davis - Burnett - Haden.

Davis should be much better at FS. Burnett played everywhere for packers last year...both safety spots..corner..and even inside LB. Only 2 missed tackles according to PFF, ranking #1.

Added Bostic for depth..will at least have an Alalu type impact for us.(another guy who we got cheap because of injuries over the years, looks like weve been going that route alot lately...even burnett and haden were available because of that)..but will have a better shot at doing more than just being a depth guy if he stays healthy. Having his best year(finally healthy) last season with 97 tackles.

Draft LVE or Evans. Maybe another pass rusher. And defense is ready. Burns and Davis should both be more polished heading into their 3rd season. We forget it took years for players on D to make an impact on the Steelers..learning the system. Having two vets on the other side in Burnett and Haden and the secondary has the potential to be one of the best in the league, with Cam Sutton and Mike Hilton filling in as well. Definitely the best secondary most of us have ever seen on the steelers. I know alot have their doubts about the D because of what happened last year but 1. They were young and 2. Losing Shazier , not only affected that position but it had a negative impact on the rest of the players too.

Biggest problem again tho(besides tomlin) will be having key players stay healthy. Injuries ruining the last 4 years. Bell twice. Brown. Shazier.

Just glad the FO is serious about winning it all again..they know we should have had at least another ring if not two by now. Adding Haden and Burnett, moves they normally dont make...

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

James Jones is a former teammate of Burnett's, so he's hardly unbiased.

I'll wait until I see the contract figures to decide if this is a good deal or not. Burnett was asking for crazy money earlier in the offseason, he's had injury issues and he spent a good chunk of this past season playing in the slot (where he was alright). If Burnett's contract is close to what Vaccaro ends up getting, I think we made a mistake. If he's significantly cheaper, I can get on board. He certainly fits our needs from a schematic perspective.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
James Jones is a former teammate of Burnett's, so he's hardly unbiased.

I'll wait until I see the contract figures to decide if this is a good deal or not. Burnett was asking for crazy money earlier in the offseason, he's had injury issues and he spent a good chunk of this past season playing in the slot (where he was alright). If Burnett's contract is close to what Vaccaro ends up getting, I think we made a mistake. If he's significantly cheaper, I can get on board. He certainly fits our needs from a schematic perspective.

He played all over(being the most versatile guy they had) because of all of the injuries the packers had.

As for the contract it cant be that much since we dont have much room. He might have decided to do what Matthieu did.

We were lacking that leader on D after Shazier went down. With so many young players at key positions, looked like they lost a step..lost in general at times in games without Shazier. And like James Jones said, Burnett was like the QB of that defense. Thats exactly whats needed for next year. No rookie is going to come in and be able to do that, with where we are selecting in the draft.

Not only will Burnett make the D better at safety(our biggest problem being able to tackle, is what hes best at) but will also have an impact on our other players. Davis being able to switch to FS , will allow us to get the most out of him now as well.

Theres alot of highlight videos of him out there for some who havent seen much of him, but its easy to make someone stand out in those. Heres a vid where hes mic'ed up in a game where the packers lost. You get a glimpse of the type of leader he is on D. And how much more aggressive of a tackler he is(rarely misses) than what we've seen from our defense recently.

'Sound FX': Morgan Burnett

Last edited:
Reactions: TNT87

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Awesome signing and somewhat unexpected. He’s better than Mitchell, so there’s a plus already.

3 years 14.5 mil. So a little under 5 mil a year. That’s great for a starting safety.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Awesome signing and somewhat unexpected. He’s better than Mitchell, so there’s a plus already.

3 years 14.5 mil. So a little under 5 mil a year. That’s great for a starting safety.

Thats a great deal.

Like I said, we were lacking that leadership on D when Shazier got hurt. Got that back in him. Packers fans mention alot about when he missed games and the communication "helmet" had to go to someone else, it disrupted the whole secondary, and led to giving up way more yards..long completions.

We got better against the run and missed tackles adding Bostic and Bennett. Without breaking the bank.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Thats a great deal.

Like I said, we were lacking that leadership on D when Shazier got hurt. Got that back in him. Packers fans mention alot about when he missed games and the communication "helmet" had to go to someone else, it disrupted the whole secondary, and led to giving up way more yards..long completions.

We got better against the run and missed tackles adding Bostic and Bennett. Without breaking the bank.

I really like that quote by James Jones that said he is like a defensive coordinator on the field. Way too many times the secondary missed assignments last year. No one confused Mitchell being a defensive coordinator on the field that's for damn sure.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I really like that quote by James Jones that said he is like a defensive coordinator on the field. Way too many times the secondary missed assignments last year. No one confused Mitchell being a defensive coordinator on the field that's for damn sure.

For sure. And he did Davis no favors. Expecting a much better year..development from Davis now, being paired with Burnett for the next 3 years. With Haden and Burns on the outside, And Hilton and Sutton coming in on other downs...should be a solid secondary.

Now we just need to figure out how to travel back in time and get back to having one of the best LB corps in the league every year. Pairing that up with finally having a secondary.

Funny how that works in sports..struggle in one area and great in another. Finallly get better at one, and have problems with the other.

Reactions: Andy99

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
These two signings make the draft way more interesting. Can go for BPA at any position in the first round, filling needs after. Still want LVE if hes there , but was afraid if the guys we wanted at LB and safety werent there we would reach to fill that need.

Colbert doesnt like operating that way, so he adds two FAs at positions we needed the most and dont have to get desperate in the draft if certain guys are off the board.

I know they are also high on Mason Rudolph. Its possible they take advantage of this years deep qb class and land Ben's replacement at 28, if hes there. Letting him learn a few years and step in when Ben retires without us having to deal with a few down years trying to find a QB.

Last edited:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
These two signings make the draft way more interesting. Can go for BPA at any position in the first round, filling needs after. Still want LVE if hes there , but was afraid if the guys we wanted at LB and safety werent there we would reach to fill that need.

Colbert doesnt like operating that way, so he he adds two FAs at positions we needed the most and dont have to get desperate in the draft if certain guys are off the board.

I know they are also high on Mason Rudolph. Its possible they take advantage of this years deep qb class and land Ben's replacement at 28, if hes there. Letting him learn a few years and step in when Ben retires without us having to deal with a few down years trying to find a QB.

These signings definitely have given the Steelers more options during the draft in the early rounds. I was completely opposed to getting a QB in the first but now I would not mind it. Reading some articles they were very interested Rudolph's pro day. Even with Bostic on the team I wouldn't mind LVE at all either in the first.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
He played all over(being the most versatile guy they had) because of all of the injuries the packers had.

As for the contract it cant be that much since we dont have much room. He might have decided to do what Matthieu did.

We were lacking that leader on D after Shazier went down. With so many young players at key positions, looked like they lost a step..lost in general at times in games without Shazier. And like James Jones said, Burnett was like the QB of that defense. Thats exactly whats needed for next year. No rookie is going to come in and be able to do that, with where we are selecting in the draft.

Not only will Burnett make the D better at safety(our biggest problem being able to tackle, is what hes best at) but will also have an impact on our other players. Davis being able to switch to FS , will allow us to get the most out of him now as well.

Theres alot of highlight videos of him out there for some who havent seen much of him, but its easy to make someone stand out in those. Heres a vid where hes mic'ed up in a game where the packers lost. You get a glimpse of the type of leader he is on D. And how much more aggressive of a tackler he is(rarely misses) than what we've seen from our defense recently.

'Sound FX': Morgan Burnett

He's always been a hybrid for them, but he spent a lot more time in the slot last season because of injuries. I've seen plenty of him and Vaccaro is simply better in my opinion. He can play the same positions, he's a better athlete, he's younger and there's still some untapped upside. For 3/14.5, I can live with Burnett, I'm just not nearly as enthusiastic as you are and I'll be even less so if Vaccaro comes in around the same price point.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
These signings definitely have given the Steelers more options during the draft in the early rounds. I was completely opposed to getting a QB in the first but now I would not mind it. Reading some articles they were very interested Rudolph's pro day. Even with Bostic on the team I wouldn't mind LVE at all either in the first.

Burnett's signing could affect their draft plans (for example, I doubt they take Justin Reid in the first now), but Bostic doesn't move the needle at all. He's just a depth signing to help fill a need, but we still need to find a replacement for Shazier.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He's always been a hybrid for them, but he spent a lot more time in the slot last season because of injuries. I've seen plenty of him and Vaccaro is simply better in my opinion. He can play the same positions, he's a better athlete, he's younger and there's still some untapped upside. For 3/14.5, I can live with Burnett, I'm just not nearly as enthusiastic as you are and I'll be even less so if Vaccaro comes in around the same price point.

Vacarro is more potential, but higher risk.

I’ve seen him blow a number of assignments, and the last few I remember were simple deep coverage assignments when he came off the hash and bit on the wrong route.

Steelers I’m guessing just wanted the kind of guy they can rely on to be where he is suppose to be, and to do his job play after play. After last season’s Keystone Kops routine in the secondary, it’s easy to understand why they want a reliable rock back there over potential.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Vacarro is more potential, but higher risk.

I’ve seen him blow a number of assignments, and the last few I remember were simple deep coverage assignments when he came off the hash and bit on the wrong route.

Steelers I’m guessing just wanted the kind of guy they can rely on to be where he is suppose to be, and to do his job play after play. After last season’s Keystone Kops routine in the secondary, it’s easy to understand why they want a reliable rock back there over potential.

Yeah, that's a fair assessment. I think there's also a fair bit of risk with a 29 year old that had both hamstring and groin issues in the same season, but Burnett is a tidier player than Vaccaro when he does play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad