OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The Steelers would seriously regret letting Bell go for a safety.

That would be a tough one. Honey Badger isnt just any safety. Does it all, and still only 25 years old. He would have a Shazier like impact on our team immediately.

I like Bell, one of a kind...but him not even thinking about the team(how many guys we have to cut, and cant sign) just so he can get paid a ridiculous amount for a RB, doesnt sit well. He knows how close we are to winning it all..knows how tight we are against the cap, yet hes still holding out for that extra couple mil.

Im all for drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
even releasing three of their players left them with very little cap room. I'd love for them to get Tyrann Mathieu but usuallyusua Steelers don't try that hard in getting impact free agents (mostly because they can't due to cap room).

Talk him into taking a 2 year deal..having a very good chance to win it all. He will still be 27 years old after that and can cash in.

They probably wont land him, but i hope they are trying.

Btw this free agency looks like MLB FA. Where there is no cap. Havent seen this many huge contracts given out..glad we have most of our key players already locked up.

Reactions: domaug

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
So we need secondary and middle linebackers but have no money.

Looks like it’s pray a top guy is available in the draft and can play right away.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
I don't think fitting Matheiu under the cap is impossible per se. Start by restructuring Heyward's contract, then cut depth players like Sensabaugh, Wilcox, and Heyward-Bey. The cap would be very tight, but the window for a SB is even tighter. I hope they aggressively pursue Matheiu so they can focus on LB for the draft.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
We need a safety and two Lbs. We arent going to be able to get all of that in the draft, and for a team whos ready to win now..you dont want that many rookies starting anyways(that was our problem on D last year imo..they were lost when shazier got hurt and never recovered).

Theres some options in FA...

ILB Zach Brown
ILB Navorro Bowman
ILB Derrick Johnson (35, but still productive and would bring that leadership this D needs..James Farrior)

Safety Eric Reid
Safety Morgan Burnett

Avery Williamson and Demario Davis were just signed.

We usually dont add names like that, but we did last year in Haden. And they know how close they are to winning it all..a few pieces away. Need to get lucky like the Pats usually do and have 1-2 of those guys sign here for less than what they could get elsewhere, for a chance to win.

Speaking of that , watch the Pats get Jordy Nelson and Suh for league minimum.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I don't think fitting Matheiu under the cap is impossible per se. Start by restructuring Heyward's contract, then cut depth players like Sensabaugh, Wilcox, and Heyward-Bey. The cap would be very tight, but the window for a SB is even tighter. I hope they aggressively pursue Matheiu so they can focus on LB for the draft.

"One should not hope for anything. Hope is invented by politicians to keep the electorate happy." - Pasolini

The Steelers will not aggressively pursue Mathieu. They won't even passively pursue Mathieu. What, in the history of the franchise, has ever given you the impression that they would sign a free agent of that calibre?

Reactions: domaug

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
We need a safety and two Lbs. We arent going to be able to get all of that in the draft, and for a team whos ready to win now..you dont want that many rookies starting anyways(that was our problem on D last year imo..they were lost when shazier got hurt and never recovered).

Theres some options in FA...

ILB Zach Brown
ILB Navorro Bowman
ILB Derrick Johnson (35, but still productive and would bring that leadership this D needs..James Farrior)

Safety Eric Reid
Safety Morgan Burnett

Avery Williamson and Demario Davis were just signed.

We usually dont add names like that, but we did last year in Haden. And they know how close they are to winning it all..a few pieces away. Need to get lucky like the Pats usually do and have 1-2 of those guys sign here for less than what they could get elsewhere, for a chance to win.

Speaking of that , watch the Pats get Jordy Nelson and Suh for league minimum.

Zach Brown thinks entirely too highly of himself. He'd be an upgrade, but he'll want more than we can offer and he's not the calibre of player worth overpaying. Bowman was incredible, but he's not the player he once was due to injuries. Derrick Johnson I can't comment on because I'd rather watch paint dry than the Chiefs. It's a shame the Broncos re-signed Todd Davis a few hours ago. He was perfect for what we needed, but the opportunity is past.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Zach Brown thinks entirely too highly of himself. He'd be an upgrade, but he'll want more than we can offer and he's not the calibre of player worth overpaying. Bowman was incredible, but he's not the player he once was due to injuries. Derrick Johnson I can't comment on because I'd rather watch paint dry than the Chiefs. It's a shame the Broncos re-signed Todd Davis a few hours ago. He was perfect for what we needed, but the opportunity is past.

Bowman is still a better at stopping the run than anyone we have. And with the injuries, he should come cheap...we will likely wait it out and see who doesnt get a deal. The more time that passes the better chance we have.

We keep seeing the Pats add players over the years whos careers "should be over" only to turn it around and make an impact on a one or two year deal. Thats what we should be doing..with our best shot at a title being 2-3 years.

Another big name out there...Tyler Eifert. If he can just stay healthy, hed be a huge pickup for someone ...since he wont be getting a big contract right now. More likely a 1-2 year prove it type deal. Steelers wont take that chance considering what happened with Green tho.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
"One should not hope for anything. Hope is invented by politicians to keep the electorate happy." - Pasolini

The Steelers will not aggressively pursue Mathieu. They won't even passively pursue Mathieu. What, in the history of the franchise, has ever given you the impression that they would sign a free agent of that calibre?

Joe Haden? :razz:

The decision to cut Golden also is interesting. Davis, Wilcox, and Sutton (if converted) is it.

Odds obviously are against, but gut says they'll inquire seriously.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think the Steelers are fine at TE with James, McDonald, and Grimble. Maybe they draft someone later who has upside, like Troy Fumagalli from Wisconsin.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Joe Haden? :razz:

The decision to cut Golden also is interesting. Davis, Wilcox, and Sutton (if converted) is it.

Odds obviously are against, but gut says they'll inquire seriously.

Joe Haden is the 18th highest paid CB in the NFL. The fact that his contract is seen as some huge investment only underlines my point. The Cards wanted Mathieu to take a pay cut from his $14.1 million cap hit, which dwarfs Haden's figures.

The Steelers are currently $7.5 million under the cap with the recent cuts and they obviously need to sign their draft picks. There's just no way that Mathieu is coming to Pittsburgh unless we restructure everybody that we can possibly restructure and he's willing to take an enormous pay cut. It's not happening.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think you can sign him to a first year huge bonus contract and defer the massive cap hit to next year. He’d still have a decent cap hit, but not what it could be. I’d have to do some more digging since football contracts are the most ridiculous things out there.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The only way it happens is if he agrees to pay for peanuts in 2018 and the team uses Shazier's cap space to cover the rest of the contract. That likely would make it difficult to re-sign Le'Veon Bell and Ramon Foster and some other pieces, like Vince Williams, Chris Boswell, Jesse James, and Martavis Bryant.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Lmao. Letting Bell go for a saftey is so goddamn dumb. One player won't fix that Defense.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
I’m sorry but Bell isn’t worth the money he wants...

With that O line, they could save a ton of money and still get good production out of a “lesser” back. Bell’s biggest weakness is his lack of speed. Dude can cut and dead leg with the best of them but has no breakaway speed...

Do I want Bell gone? No, but if he insists on making the coin that he wants then I would rather see him gone and the ILB and secondary addressed.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Alot of Steelers players ( and former ones) trying to recruit Matthieu.

One name missing from that list is Bell of course. The team should be talking to him first , instead of thinking our FO can magically land a player like Matthieu when they have to pay a RB 15 mil.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
It's a double edged sword. On one hand running backs aren't worth that much and are easier to replace. On the other Bell knows that and is trying to cash in while he can.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
1 year at 7 mil for honey badger.....wtf, man.

This team really is gonna rely on the draft or some career backup to fill out the safety and ilb spots.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
1 year at 7 mil for honey badger.....wtf, man.

This team really is gonna rely on the draft or some career backup to fill out the safety and ilb spots.

Chose a worse team..didnt even expect him to take a deal like that so didnt think we could get him...but signs for 7 mil for 1 year? Texans?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Chose a worse team..didnt even expect him to take a deal like that so didnt think we could get him...but signs for 7 mil for 1 year? Texans?

I'm definitely surprised that he took a one year deal, but the Texans aren't nearly as bad as their record. They were 3-4 when Watson got hurt, then went 1-8 the rest of the way. A healthy Watson, Mathieu and a good draft could see them on the playoff bubble.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The Jets moving up to 3rd in the draft pretty much guarantees Darnold, Rosen, and Allen are taken 1-3. I'm curious if the Browns will go with Chubb or Barkley at #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->