OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
There isn't a single 3 down linebacker in that group. Edmunds and Allen can both play in a front 7, but they aren't linebackers. Matakevich and Fort haven't proven to be more than special teamers. That group is very thin.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. I'm just thinking we got a lot of bodies. Edmunds, Bostic, and Kendricks would be a must on the 53. Then Mata and Matthews fight for a specials? Poor Fort would have no chance. They do him so dirty but is what it is.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
No one should be surprised if the Steelers defense gets gashed by the run again this year. They had 1 huge glaring need and they completely ignored it in the draft.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
No one should be surprised if the Steelers defense gets gashed by the run again this year. They had 1 huge glaring need and they completely ignored it in the draft.
Steelers used 2 draft picks on players who can/will play the MLB role on 3rd downs. And they brought in Bostic.

3 players to replace Shazier.

Reactions: domaug

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Steelers used 2 draft picks on players who can/will play the MLB role on 3rd downs. And they brought in Bostic.

Not to mention signing Burnett. Steelers did a great job considering the cap. And how weak of a draft it was at ILB. Mentioned before how 2 projected first rounders in Josh Allen(kentucky) and TJ Edwards( Wisconsin) decided to return to school. We would have either ended up with one of them or Evans/LVE would have fell to us.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I really don't understand the idea that Bostic is any kind of answer. He's a back-up/stop-gap level talent. Simply putting on the Steelers uniform doesn't improve his skills.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I really don't understand the idea that Bostic is any kind of answer. He's a back-up/stop-gap level talent. Simply putting on the Steelers uniform doesn't improve his skills.

Bostic had a solid year last year. Almost 100 combined tackles in 14 games. Shazier has never had that number but he's also never played a full season either. Just looking at Bostics stats he doesn't seem to be any good in coverage so I don't understand that part. Maybe that's where Edmunds comes in? I don't know, I'm hoping they have a plan.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
That was also Bostic's healthiest season.

Jon Bostic the rare ‘every down linebacker’ the Steelers have been searching for

So hopefully he builds off of that. Regardless we got him for almost vet min.

Landed Burnett for cheap as well.

This will be one of the most interesting preseasons...and even season(where they are still figuring things out, what works best) in a long time. Theres alot of potential on this team on both sides and many who can take this team to the next level, if they pan out.

Some are mentioning we didnt address the D in the draft but...

We signed Burnett and Bostic.

Drafted Edmunds, Allen, and Frazier. Frazier another guy who may be better than where he was drafted, being on Bama he didnt get the opportunities he would have gotten somewhere else.

Have Keion Davis returning from injury who they were high on before getting hurt. Could be a solid backup along with Chickillo. And already has a year of learning the system.

Cam Sutton is healthy and there are high expectations for him. He will be taking Gay's spot which is already a huge upgrade.

Brian Allen could be another surprise. Former WR at 6'3.

UDFA's in Matthew Thomas and the Toledo OLB who already took Harrison's number.

On offense , Samuels and Washington two very talented guys coming in. We'll see if Quadree Henderson can earn a spot. Will be fun watching Rudolph in preseason.

So while we added a bit for the future I still think we got alot stronger on defense to win now. That also depends on 3rd year guys in Burns, Davis, and Hargrave. 4th year Dupree.

I know players are expected to come in right away now and be successful but it was never that way in Pittsburgh. Not in our scheme on D. Usually wasnt until their 3rd-4th year until they started to really make an impact. TJ Watt should improve as well. And Heyward/Tuitt have to stay healthy. They are the vets of this group and cant afford for them to get hurt. Altho, speaking of injuries(which usually cost us each year), we have alot more depth now in case someone gets hurt. Plenty of versatile guys on D .

There are plenty of "If's" but plenty of potential. Losing Shazier was the worst thing that could happen to an already young defense. Irreplaceable. But adding Burnett, Bostic, Edmunds, and Allen is a good start.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
He also played for the Bears. Lots of stuff got through to him. He isn't that good, people. Don't get your hope's up.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
He also played for the Bears. Lots of stuff got through to him. He isn't that good, people. Don't get your hope's up.

I mean, his best season was last year as a member of the colts...not the bears. But, yea, he’s a 2 down run stopper at best. We need more depth at the position.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

It's not as bad as Beech, Sivek, and Lupaschick (sp?) to replace Jagr, but it's still a stretch to say those three will effectively replace him. And I also keep reading the glowing reports on Matakevich, but from what I can tell, he's pretty much a career backup. I'm not criticizing the Steelers - I just don't think there was anyone available - at least in the first round - who could replace Shazier.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It's not as bad as Beech, Sivek, and Lupaschick (sp?) to replace Jagr, but it's still a stretch to say those three will effectively replace him. And I also keep reading the glowing reports on Matakevich, but from what I can tell, he's pretty much a career backup. I'm not criticizing the Steelers - I just don't think there was anyone available - at least in the first round - who could replace Shazier.

Not unless they traded up and had to get rid of next years first round pick along with this years 2nd or 3rd, etc.

Im glad they didnt. They made some good picks, and decent signings. Still expecting guys we already have to improve as well. And next years draft we can continue to add to the D. In a much deeper ILB class.

If we traded up and landed LVE or Evans, we may have our ILB( who still probably wouldnt be as good as Shazier) but we dont have Edmunds, Washington, and next years first round pick. I like Washington too much to have done that..and getting rid of next years first is too much.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
https://www.google.com/amp/host.madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-wisconsin-inside-linebacker-t-j-edwards-to-return/article_83780f31-39de-5c93-a3d8-ed2effeb7175.amp.html

This is who I thought we would be able to draft this year. But he went back to school. I liked him better than Evans and LVE. He would have been there for us too, no idea why he received a " go back to school grade".

Edwards is the closest to Shazier as youre gonna get. More of a playmaker with 4 INTs , one returned for a Td. 88 tackles, 11 for loss and 2 sacks this past season. Doesnt have Shazier's speed , but the IQ and always around the ball.

Unfortunately, with him returning to school we probably lost out unless he suffers an injury and drops because of it. But he will likely go where Roquan Smith went this year.

Would have been nice if he declared and we got him to go along with his former teammate...Watt.

He shouldnt have listened to whoever was giving out those grades. Who basically had him going 3rd round. Thats ridiculous. He played much better than some guys who went first and second.

Josh Allen from Kentucky was another who returned. And Cameron Smith USC. Making this class pretty weak. But next years much deeper. Miami and Alabama have top ILBs who will be coming out next year.

If we still need an ILB next season, we will be able to land one in the next draft.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

The touch this guy possesses is elite. I want to single out a bunch of those throws but my God at 3:44. Splits 2 defensive backs 50 yards, right on the money. The very next play you see him add zip on a slant.

This kid simply knows how and where to put a football.

If we manage him correctly he's going to be a good starter in this league. Possibly great.

Reactions: domaug

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I keep pimping him, but Washington is going to be good. That's my easy early impact pick.

With people doubling AB, hopefully having Bell ready to go, and JuJu having a full yr under his belt.

Washington is going to do work.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I agree. I think Washington is going to be another in the long line of the Tomlin era WR's that does really great things. His hands are elite. He's got great FOOTBALL speed. Built like a tank, will go anywhere on the field to make a catch. If he works on the finer points and nuances of the game the way AB does, he'll be just fine.

Tomlin does some really dumb things as a HC, but drafting WR's ain't one of them. I think Washington will have a handful of splash plays this year, at a minimum. He's likely going to have a lot of 1-1 looks with AB and JuJu occupying the focus of every D.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Those 3 WRs and Bell.

McDonald should be able to spread the field as well, now fully healthy and a full camp going into next year.

Also excited to see Samuels. Whether its in the backfield, lined up at TE, in the slot, or out wide.

3rd down % should be better this year as well as redzone %.

No excuses with all of this talent.

Hopefully see the D improve , and they should. Watt and Dupree playing both sides. Keion Adams becoming a solid backup OLB and improvement from Chickillo. Heyward doing what he did last year and Tuitt staying healthy , being closer to Heyward in production. We have the depth at DL too. Hargrave is the one who needs to improve. Entering his 3rd season.

Which leads to other 3rd year guys in Burns and Davis. Davis should be better playing with Burnett. Burnett was a huge pickup who isnt talked about enough, expecting a big year. Burns has to be better, or we are looking at another questionable first round pick. Luckily there is Haden on the other side who is fully healthy and has a full offseason to prepare. And Cam Sutton who will either push Burns to be better or take his spot.

Hilton one of our few playmakers , hopefully repeats his performance from last year.

Bostic , Edmunds, and Allen to replace Shazier instead of Spence. We'll see about dirty red, but still think hes a backup. Williams needs to repeat last years performance as well.

Alot of talent, alot of things needing to go right for this defense to be able to be good enough for us to win it all. The talent is there. Especially with how good the offense is.

No more excuses, this should be the year they get #7. And that needs to start week 1. Look at what the Eagles did. Dominated from week 1 and on. Steelers need to do the same. Treat every game like its a playoff game. Last year's mentality was horrible. They were so focused on the Patriots it was embarrassing. Treat every opponent the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthGeorge

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
2011 first round pick Cam Heyward comes in at 48 on top 100 players.

2014 first round pick Ryan Shazier came in at 47.

2012 first round pick David Decastro came in at 44.

Pouncey drafted in 2010. We really hit on our first round picks those years other than 2013. When Jarvis Jones fell. If he went where he was supposed to go we may have ended up with Trufant or Rhodes at corner. Preventing us from having to take Burns who may be another bust(big year for him coming up).

Also need Dupree to breakout this year.

Those years we won those superbowls...we hit on basically every first round pick...all being important players.

Then Mendenhall(who was great until that fumble in the superbowl and fell off a cliff after) and then Ziggy Hood who was not a fit at all. Those drafts set us back a bit, taking longer to rebuild this defense. Making us hang on to those vets too long.

Point is, our offense has been great for like 4 years now but that came exactly when our defense fell off. We really need the D to take that next step this year and next. So we can get at least a few years of a great offense and defense.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
On paper, a starting 4 in the secondary of

Burns-Burnett-Davis-Haden

Is the best I can remember for a while now. Hopefully it comes together this year.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
On paper, a starting 4 in the secondary of

Burns-Burnett-Davis-Haden

Is the best I can remember for a while now. Hopefully it comes together this year.

With Hilton and Sutton as well. And adding Edmunds and Allen in this draft who will be safety/ ILB hybrids.

But Taylor- Clark - Polamalu - Mcfadden/Townsend might have been better with Troy being that good. One our 2nd Superbowl with that group and the first one with Chris Hope at FS instead of Clark. Should have won a 3rd. They had a much better front 7 tho.

The potential is there for this group to be a great one, but Burns and Davis have to improve in their 3rd years. Burnett and Haden are two, very good veteran DBs tho. Sutton will either push Burns to become a better corner (and be a solid backup) or take his job. Hilton was great last year. Need that again.

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Not sure if you guys saw but the throwbacks leaked. Going with the 1970s

DeX21PTVAAA5R22.jpg:large

Reactions: Big McLargehuge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad