OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: World Cup N'at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
You'll be missed during your shame hiatus after a QB with 2 career starts makes you eat your words again.
Trace McSorley is the top returning QB in the nation.

Whoever your QB is, is ranked somewhere in the 60’s I saw.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Trace McSorley is the top returning QB in the nation.

Please tell me that you don't actually believe that. Did Drew Lock and Will Grier get abducted by aliens? Just off the top of my head, both are vastly superior returning QBs to McSorley.

Never mind those guys, though. Kenny Pickett is a true sophomore with one career start who's going to embarrass your noodle-armed manlet in prime time.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
I'm just getting more excited about this draft class the more i read about it. at first i was "meh" on it but I'm looking what I'm reading about the rookies.
That’s because our #1 pick is a big unknown. The rest of the picks I really like

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Pitt PSU hasn't played in like 16 years before this current series. Is it really a rivalry? And does Penn State really care about Pitt? Feels like a forced rivalry to me.

Reactions: domaug

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Please tell me that you don't actually believe that. Did Drew Lock and Will Grier get abducted by aliens? Just off the top of my head, both are vastly superior returning QBs to McSorley.

Never mind those guys, though. Kenny Pickett is a true sophomore with one career start who's going to embarrass your noodle-armed manlet in prime time.
Even if you don’t agree he’s the top, you will not find many experts out there who would say he isn’t, at the least, top 5.

And he’ll be a big reason PSU wins. Never mind the fact they’ll dominate the line of scrimmage...

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Am I the only abomination that likes both Pitt and PSU.

Although I come from a Nittany Lion alum family. But we are all from Pittsburgh.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Although I come from a Nittany Lion alum family. But we are all from Pittsburgh.
nah! I go with whoever has the best team......got reasons to be for, and dislike both ...just depends what part of my family i'm with at the time. :)

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I like seeing them both do well. For me it’s apples to oranges. One area is solely dependent on collegiate sports, which makes it the hottest ticket in town, plus the program has tons of money.

The other area is a pro sports town where the college programs are an afterthought and they don’t have nearly the same funding.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yep, it will be a massacre. Pitt may never be on Penn State’s level again

"Will be a massacre"

Pitt beat Miami last year with a rookie quarterback starting. Miami was ranked #3 in the nation going into that game. But yeah, Pitt may never be on Penn State's level again or something.

Where's this myth coming from that Penn State is some mythological football school at this point? They're 1-1 against Pitt in the last 2 years and they've won 2 bowl games in their last 8 years, while appearing in 6 bowl games. Pitt has more bowl game appearances and the same amount of wins in their last 8 years than Penn State has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandinho

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penn State just played in the Fiesta Bowl and the Rose Bowl

Pitt is permanently in the dot com toilet bowl

You seem to be forgetting that Penn State and Pitt football were virtually equal from 2010 to 2015. I guess the team finally being above mediocre for 2 years has made you forget that.

The days of Paterno's Penn State are long gone. They're just going to be just like Pitt going forward, a mediocre team that has a couple of seasons of 10-3 or 11-2 in clumps here and there, but then falls back to being mediocre.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
"Will be a massacre"

Pitt beat Miami last year with a rookie quarterback starting. Miami was ranked #3 in the nation going into that game. But yeah, Pitt may never be on Penn State's level again or something.

Where's this myth coming from that Penn State is some mythological football school at this point? They're 1-1 against Pitt in the last 2 years and they've won 2 bowl games in their last 8 years, while appearing in 6 bowl games. Pitt has more bowl game appearances and the same amount of wins in their last 8 years than Penn State has.

This is what I don't understand either. Alabama fans? Okay, I can understand the arrogance. Penn State, though? They've accomplished nothing. The arrogance is comical, doubly so when you realize that this allegedly irrelevant, lowly Pitt program is one they're afraid to play in the future. Already cost them one chance at a playoff, doubt they'll get that close again for a while.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Depends on recruiting, tbh. Towards the end of Paterno, the recruiting sucked. It’s pretty good right now.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Pitt PSU hasn't played in like 16 years before this current series. Is it really a rivalry? And does Penn State really care about Pitt? Feels like a forced rivalry to me.
It’s a rivalry like the Steelers and Browns are rivals. Steelers = Penn State, Browns = Pitt

Reactions: Rossi Rat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is what I don't understand either. Alabama fans? Okay, I can understand the arrogance. Penn State, though? They've accomplished nothing. The arrogance is comical, doubly so when you realize that this allegedly irrelevant, lowly Pitt program is one they're afraid to play in the future. Already cost them one chance at a playoff, doubt they'll get that close again for a while.

It's just blind delusion and clinging to the past. That's all it is. Penn State fans like to pretend that they're Clemson or Alabama, but they're not. Hell, they're not even Notre Dame or Auburn, either. They're no better than a team like the Miami or Virginia Tech. They're a team who's going to flat line to mediocrity and will have a couple of good seasons clumped together here and there when they get a good recruiting class. The people who think Penn State is some sort of football Mecca at this point are straight up delusional.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
It's just blind delusion and clinging to the past. That's all it is. Penn State fans like to pretend that they're Clemson or Alabama, but they're not. Hell, they're not even Notre Dame or Auburn, either. They're no better than a team like the Miami or Virginia Tech. They're a team who's going to flat line to mediocrity and will have a couple of good seasons clumped together here and there when they get a good recruiting class. The people who think Penn State is some sort of football Mecca at this point are straight up delusional.
i'm a Penn State fan, but was a student first and foremost (graduated with a BS in mechanical engineering). i'm not going to speak for all Penn State fans, just my own experiences.

Penn State fans can certainly be assholes, they can brag, they can have all of the negative traits associated with loud fan bases. that i won't deny. there are crazies in every group.

i've dealt with many fans personally. however, i'm very surprised to say that the worst i've ever come across were the "yinzers", the die-hards that live in or near Pittsburgh. i've never had NEARLY as many problems interacting with the likes of Flyers fans, Caps fans, etc. i wore Pens gear every other day on campus. Penn State had a LOT of Flyers fans and none of them ever gave me shit for it. in fact i made quite a bit of friends who root for all sorts of different teams.

the only time i've ever gotten shit from fans was from Pitt fans. i've been called every name in the book from the likes of these people. i've been straight-up called a child molester by some of them. they've talked down to me like i just started watching football yesterday. they pretend they have all the answers. they also LOVE making excuses when their team fails. they like to brag about that one time their team won, but oh no don't talk about the winless team they lost to. i've really never seen such antagonism from fans in my real life encounters as i have with Pitt fans.

i dunno, i guess reading stuff like this just rubs me the wrong way because it's coming from the same group who used to go out of their way to harass me because i like Penn State. i'm just enjoying my alma mater's successes in football (and other sports, but i mostly watch football). i'm not going out harassing Pitt fans. i'm not talking down to them. i don't really care. well, i should say i didn't care.

EDIT: i want to clarify, i'm talking strictly personal face-to-face fan interactions. online, that's a whole other story.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

I like both. But I'm not a die hard fan. I think it's incredibly stupid to live and breath by a college football team if you've never went to that college. Which is why I'll never understand the south's (and Ohio's) infatuation with it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know what to think of Pitt fans. Pitt has been a punching bag for the Pittsburgh sports media for a while now, and seeing how most yinzers solely base their opinions on what they read in the papers, I would imagine most yinzers wouldn't like Pitt. That's been the general vibe I've gotten. If you told me someone was a yinzer, I'd expect them to be a hardcore Steelers fan, a Penguins fan when they're winning and for them to be complaining about Pitt football and Bob Nutting. Most Pitt fans are probably Pitt students I feel like, and there's this hatred for Penn State among Pitt students. It's kinda similar to the WVU-Pitt rivalry, where the hatred for Pitt by WVU fans seems a lot more intense than the other way around.

I don't hate Penn State, I may be doing Penn State for grad school and a lot of my coworkers and friends went/are going to Penn State. I just find their football fans to be super annoying, especially the super arrogant ones. Then again, I think that way about most college football teams. I don't get it why people are super fans of the school they went to, and it makes even less sense to be a super fan of a school they didn't go to.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Miami doesn't belong in a tier with Va Tech, my dude, but otherwise I agree.

the only time i've ever gotten **** from fans was from Pitt fans. i've been called every name in the book from the likes of these people. i've been straight-up called a child molester by some of them. they've talked down to me like i just started watching football yesterday. they pretend they have all the answers. they also LOVE making excuses when their team fails. they like to brag about that one time their team won, but oh no don't talk about the winless team they lost to. i've really never seen such antagonism from fans in my real life encounters as i have with Pitt fans.

i dunno, i guess reading stuff like this just rubs me the wrong way because it's coming from the same group who used to go out of their way to harass me because i like Penn State. i'm just enjoying my alma mater's successes in football (and other sports, but i mostly watch football). i'm not going out harassing Pitt fans. i'm not talking down to them. i don't really care. well, i should say i didn't care.

EDIT: i want to clarify, i'm talking strictly personal face-to-face fan interactions. online, that's a whole other story.

Have you spent a significant amount of time outside of PA? I think you might be surprised at just how many people nationally find Penn State to be a despicable program. I'm not a Pitt alum, although I do have a soft spot for the program as going to games at the Fitzgerald Field House when I was a kid fostered my love of basketball. You most certainly didn't deserve to be harassed or called a child molestor, that's bang out of line, but my point is that such contempt is most certainly not limited to Pitt fans. It seems that a few Pitt fans simply made it personal and that's silly because you weren't the one molesting kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad