OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Something Something Hilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Cousins is a good QB. No doubt in my mind this team can win with him at QB. The window to win is now, no guarantee they can find a QB in the draft.

Washington is a cancerous organization, it's disrespectful that they won't pay Cousins.

Since he took over full time at QB in 2015 he has posted these statics
15': 29 TD's, 11 ints, 4,166 yards, 69.8 completion%
16': 25 TD's, 12 ints, 4,917 yards, 67.0 completion %

He has played well so far this season also, but long season ahead.

Yes, he's good, but that isn't the point. The question isn't "is he a good QB?", it's "is he worth the money that he'll receive?" and my answer is a firm no. We'd be bidding against the 49ers, whose offensive scheme is a much better fit for Cousins' skill set and whose head coach was the only reason Washington even drafted the guy in the first place. The 49ers are projected to have around $56 million in cap space next year. They can afford to overpay for Cousins, we can't.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't care. Kirk Cousins isn't elite outside of Jay Gruden's offense. He's good, maybe even very good, but the only place where I think he can have a comparable impact is San Francisco and they're positioned to give him the deal that he wants. Even if we could match what they'll pay, and we can't if they're willing to enter a bidding war for him, it's just not an intelligent use of money for a 30 year old QB who isn't a surefire elite replacement for Ben.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Marshawn Lynch runs off the bench to get involved in a scrum on the field, puts his hands on a ref, gets ejected, then leaves the arena before the game is over.

This is the man that sits for the anthem like it's not even happening. What a great guy.

And people wonder why the NFL is hemorrhaging viewers.

What a comical non-sequitur. Sitting for the anthem has nothing to do with the man's character.

Clearly he didn't want to be there so he chose the most efficient option that would allow him to leave the stadium. Tactical.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Why would anyone thats not a beneficiary of Mike Mitchell care about him being fined one way or another? His bank account doesnt effect anyone here.

Do you think players get fined because the NFL cares about their bank account? It's about sending a message. Maybe a few fines will knock some sense into him. It's a long shot at best but if it saves even one dumb play then it was worth it if you ask me.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
What a comical non-sequitur. Sitting for the anthem has nothing to do with the man's character.

Clearly he didn't want to be there so he chose the most efficient option that would allow him to leave the stadium. Tactical.
You missed the first paragraph.

Grabbing a referee by his uniform as you "protest against police brutality" is terrible optics for your cause at the very least. And then to throw a tantrum about it and leave the arena before half time is cowardice and pathetic. What teammate could support that? Throw in the hit and run and past DUI charges, yeah, pretty logical character conclusion can be made.

Any NHL player that did that wouldn't have a team anymore or even a league to play in. But these NFL players are put on pedestals and coddled to no end.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Do you think players get fined because the NFL cares about their bank account? It's about sending a message. Maybe a few fines will knock some sense into him. It's a long shot at best but if it saves even one dumb play then it was worth it if you ask me.

Why do you care is what im asking. Why do you personally care?

For one i highly doubt Mitchell is gonna have a come to jesus moment over 5ok. Even if he did, i just dont care.

Im not trying to be a dick, im legitimately asking. I just cannot find any way possible to care about Mike Mitchell's bank account.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Why do you care is what im asking. Why do you personally care?

For one i highly doubt Mitchell is gonna have a come to jesus moment over 5ok. Even if he did, i just dont care.

Im not trying to be a dick, im legitimately asking. I just cannot find any way possible to care about Mike Mitchell's bank account.

Let's just both agree that neither of us care about Mike Mitchell's bank account. Happy Friday.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
With the Chiefs loss, the Steelers will be sitting at the top of the AFC with a win over the Bungals.

That would feel so undeserved :laugh:

Reactions: ColePens

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Ugh gosh, not this again... in your mind, sports fans shouldn't have any opinions about what players on their favorite team do or anything that happens to them (Antonio Brown being a baby, Mike Mitchell getting fined)...we got it. :thumbu:

I'm asking a simple question.

I didn't say you cant have an opinion. I didn't see the hit, as i missed the game but i can have an objective logical discussion on the subject. If he went low he should be fined, if he was tripped he shouldn't. Those ate the rules, the end.

I'm talking about the emotional level in which people actually care. Like truly care. People here literally want a player on their team to be fined. Which seems weird and petty. Others are legitimately upset that players on their team get fined. Which seems just weird.

I just don't get why anybody without the surname Mitchell would care if that 50k is sitting in Mike Mitchell's bank account or the NFL coffers.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
With the Chiefs loss, the Steelers will be sitting at the top of the AFC with a win over the Bungals.

Just think how fans must feel about every other team if this team which could literally be tied for the #1 seed feels so blah.

turd

Feb 1, 2013

There’s no way to quantify this or whatever (outside of people you know maybe), but if the Steelers can take over the AFC’s top spot and run with it, how many of those “F the Steelers for not coming out for the anthem!” people will be planting their asses on their couches on Sunday’s to watch? I bet there will be more than one.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada

I didn't say you cant have an opinion. I didn't see the hit, as i missed the game but i can have an objective logical discussion on the subject. If he went low he should be fined, if he was tripped he shouldn't. Those ate the rules, the end.

I'm talking about the emotional level in which people actually care. Like truly care. People here literally want a player on their team to be fined. Which seems weird and petty. Others are legitimately upset that players on their team get fined. Which seems just weird.

I just don't get why anybody without the surname Mitchell would care if that 50k is sitting in Mike Mitchell's bank account or the NFL coffers.

I can't tell if you're serious or if you're trolling. NO ONE CARES ABOUT MIKE MITCHELL'S MONEY!

What I do care about is the Steelers winning and the safety of each and every NFL player including Tom Brady. If Mike Mitchell gets fined and that gets put on his file then maybe he thinks twice before cheap shotting another NFL player because it could be a suspension next time. I want the best possible results for the Steelers but I also want the best possible lineup for NFL teams. I'm not going to comment on the hit because the video I saw doesn't make it clear but let's say he cheap shotted Alex Smith last week and injured him. We don't get that awesome TNF game last night.

It's an entertainment business. I want to be entertained. That's all I care about.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Not really shocked TBTH. After the Jax loss a number of us on here felt the team would bounce back and win in KC, even though the media and Vegas thought they would get romped.

It's just how this team is... totally schizo. Beat good teams, lose to bad ones... get pissed on by NE... have lots of drama and zero accountability (Bell wasn't aware he couldn't use the post as a prop... uh...)...

It's been this way for most of Tomlin's tenure, so whatever.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I can't tell if you're serious or if you're trolling. NO ONE CARES ABOUT MIKE MITCHELL'S MONEY!

What I do care about is the Steelers winning and the safety of each and every NFL player including Tom Brady. If Mike Mitchell gets fined and that gets put on his file then maybe he thinks twice before cheap shotting another NFL player because it could be a suspension next time. I want the best possible results for the Steelers but I also want the best possible lineup for NFL teams. I'm not going to comment on the hit because the video I saw doesn't make it clear but let's say he cheap shotted Alex Smith last week and injured him. We don't get that awesome TNF game last night.

It's an entertainment business. I want to be entertained. That's all I care about.

Ok thats the answer im looking for.

I completely disagree that Mike Mitchell will change a d*mn thing, i think it will have zero effect on anything but we can agree to disagree on that.

And as far as people caring about athletes getting fined, well guess what, its a thing. I remember people getting very bent out of shape when James Harrison was getting fined on a weekly basis a couple years ago. But i couldn't understand why they cared so much.

As far as the safety of the players, again I personally don't care. I mean i don't look forward to someone getting hurt and i surely don't want anyone to be life altering injured. But i couldn't care less if Alex Smiths knee gets hurt. That's a reasonably expectation of professional hazard at least as far as wanting there to be some sort of comeuppance. Unless there is clear intent to injure, IMO they need removed so other players dont get hurt.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean it's not just us losing to bad teams. It's happening across the NFL. So I'm sure a lot of fan bases are frustrated because there is a ton of opportunity to just take 1st place. And teams left/right are just not taking it. :laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean it's not just us losing to bad teams. It's happening across the NFL. So I'm sure a lot of fan bases are frustrated because there is a ton of opportunity to just take 1st place. And teams left/right are just not taking it. :laugh:

Going to be honest... not even sure how much I'd enjoy seeing this group win a SB. The stars are pretty unlikeable, but I suppose that doesn't constitute the whole team either.

I mainly watch out of habit, but I rarely read anything on the team anymore, and I used to be a football junkie as a teen and in my 20s.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Going to be honest... not even sure how much I'd enjoy seeing this group win a SB. The stars are pretty unlikeable, but I suppose that doesn't constitute the whole team either.

I mainly watch out of habit, but I rarely read anything on the team anymore, and I used to be a football junkie as a teen and in my 20s.
I wish I could love this post and not just like it.

I think many of us have fallen victim to the same feeling. I remember JTG and I talking about this before. I used to really focus on the draft and really focus on practice squads/etc. Now I don't even watch the draft and I don't even follow the weekly practices. The junkie days are gone, for sure. I think we can all agree that we'd rather spend time elsewhere as it has more value. I'd rather take time with loved ones instead of have to be home on a Steeler game. Hell - if someone asks to play hockey or tennis, i'd skip a game. :laugh: In the past I'd basically say no way am I missing a game.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I wish I could love this post and not just like it.

I think many of us have fallen victim to the same feeling. I remember JTG and I talking about this before. I used to really focus on the draft and really focus on practice squads/etc. Now I don't even watch the draft and I don't even follow the weekly practices. The junkie days are gone, for sure. I think we can all agree that we'd rather spend time elsewhere as it has more value. I'd rather take time with loved ones instead of have to be home on a Steeler game. Hell - if someone asks to play hockey or tennis, i'd skip a game. :laugh: In the past I'd basically say no way am I missing a game.

I used to get all the draft publications when I was a kid in the early 90s and knew the top ten prospects at every position... was a huge football card collector and hit every show wheeling and dealing with the creepy old guys there.

It's even easier to follow the league now with smartphones and such, but ya, Steelers have too many stars that I dislike.... even gave Bryant too much credit for playing through his lack of targets and a couple weeks later it breaks he wants traded...

Just funny that they have a collection of guys with the kind of personalities I root agt on other teams. Now when these guys make plays that help the Steelers, it's hard to get excited or jump out of your seat or feel that old emotion... it's a conflicting feeling.

Wish they could act more like Heath Miller and Barry Sanders, but everything is about "look at me" now and I guess we are suppose to just get with it because "that's how it is now" something something...

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
You missed the first paragraph.

Grabbing a referee by his uniform as you "protest against police brutality" is terrible optics for your cause at the very least. And then to throw a tantrum about it and leave the arena before half time is cowardice and pathetic. What teammate could support that? Throw in the hit and run and past DUI charges, yeah, pretty logical character conclusion can be made.

Any NHL player that did that wouldn't have a team anymore or even a league to play in. But these NFL players are put on pedestals and coddled to no end.

See, the issues you brought up are legitimate reasons to question Lynch's character. The bit about kneeling for the national anthem is still a non-sequitur and doesn't have anything to do with the sort of person that he is. I also think it's outrageous to compare, even tangentially, police brutality and grabbing a ref's shirt, but I don't want to go down that stupid rabbit hole.

As for the comparison to NHL players, I disagree. Todd Bertuzzi brutally assaulted a defenseless player and continued to be employed for 8 more seasons. That's orders of magnitude worse than what Lynch did. Hell, Michael Peca grabbed a referee and only got a 5 game suspension. It's an interesting narrative, but I don't think it holds up to scrutiny.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Yes, he's good, but that isn't the point. The question isn't "is he a good QB?", it's "is he worth the money that he'll receive?" and my answer is a firm no. We'd be bidding against the 49ers, whose offensive scheme is a much better fit for Cousins' skill set and whose head coach was the only reason Washington even drafted the guy in the first place. The 49ers are projected to have around $56 million in cap space next year. They can afford to overpay for Cousins, we can't.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't care. Kirk Cousins isn't elite outside of Jay Gruden's offense. He's good, maybe even very good, but the only place where I think he can have a comparable impact is San Francisco and they're positioned to give him the deal that he wants. Even if we could match what they'll pay, and we can't if they're willing to enter a bidding war for him, it's just not an intelligent use of money for a 30 year old QB who isn't a surefire elite replacement for Ben.

Cousins is welcome to take more money to get his butt kicked in a system he'd fit into easily, but I would be surprised if he chose to turn down a legitimate Super Bowl contending team in order to do so. If it's between SF and Pittsburgh, I'd put my money on him picking Pittsburgh.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Cousins is welcome to take more money to get his butt kicked in a system he'd fit into easily, but I would be surprised if he chose to turn down a legitimate Super Bowl contending team in order to do so. If it's between SF and Pittsburgh, I'd put my money on him picking Pittsburgh.

Perhaps, but I think his relationship with Shanahan would be the thing to tip the scales in San Francisco's favor. If it were just the extra money, perhaps not, but money and a coach you have a very strong bond with? That's tough to beat.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh

Like was said, no one cares about the money. Some people choose to pay attention to what happens to "their" team or players outside of the games, and logically might form OPINIONS about it (i.e. that's fair/unfair, good/bad). Just because someone does so doesn't mean he/she is losing sleep over it. You're not more "right" than those people just because you choose to only follow the games.

Why do you care that some people care? :laugh:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Agreed, and it's not the one thing either.

It's the NFL shortening the number of plays and yet increasing the amount of commercials 10 years ago.

A huge thing is the involvement of the Refs with the outcome of games. This is the biggest middle finger to fans. How many times do we see big plays called back for an illegal formation where a guy is barely off of the line? It's so bad now between penalties and replay that I no longer celebrate in my mind a big play. I'm first thinking, flag or replay and usually I'm right in doing so. What's even worse are the flags on call away from the play that kills a huge game changing momentum and on replay it's barely a penalty.

Lastly, the introduction of politics by the broadcast partners and now players.

Who frigging needs this aggravation?? Again, I was known in my circle not only as the biggest Steelers fan, but as a football junkie. I watched at least 5 games a week up until a couple of weeks ago and I NEVER missed a Steelers game in my entire life. Now... eh. I don't watch any NFL games but the Steelers and last week I missed the entire first half. I decided to drink beer on the pier and watch the boats out in the harbor instead, and I had a blast. Zero aggravation, zero politics, zero annoying refs.

Last edited:

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
you got to look at it like this, if someone gave you tickets would you still go and get excited, I would.

I think the biggest problem with the NFL is they moved the kickoffs forward so now there are hardly ever kick returns, that was an exciting part of the game that now is just meh.

And all the flags on every play, it just makes the entire game almost meaningless when teams are marching up and down the field on penalties.

and I have no idea what is going on with our offense, it's like Haley doesn't know what to call so he's just calling anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad