OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Something Something Hilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Looks like the Columbus Crew are getting Modell'd to Austin. THE original MLS franchise going out like that. Just terrible. I hope the league does something but I doubt it.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
I just don't think the value is there when it comes to trading Bryant. He hasn't produced this season and he's a major risk to get suspended for drugs. Teams aren't going to offer much for that. I'd just keep him around knowing that he is a big play threat and eventually Big Ben will start connecting with him again on some of the deep shots. They've missed on a quite a few this year.

Nice to see the Steelers bounce back against KC. There's still something missing though. Even games where they dominate play (Ravens, Chiefs etc.) it isn't translating into many points.

That something missing is Ben not being a top tier QB anymore, or at least this part of the season. His decline has forced him to be a game manager.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
That something missing is Ben not being a top tier QB anymore, or at least this part of the season. His decline has forced him to be a game manager.

This is why I always cringe at large contracts given to 30+ athletes. You never know when their time is going to be up, as Bettis once stated: "Each body can only take certain number of hits before it's done".

Ben is making 23 million + plus this year. Take away his past, which was magnificent, that is a HUGE overpay for his production.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The league most likely wants the team to move.

https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

I heard an interview with the author of that article. Really good stuff.

Not a huge MLS fan, but having raised kids who played soccer at a high level through high school, often in C-bus, and going to several Crew games, Columbus is a really good soccer town. Would be a shame to see them move when their fan support is pretty good.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The league most likely wants the team to move.

https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

It's a shitshow. A lot I could type but to keep it short, the owner had always intended to move the team and is really showing his sleazy businessman attitude right now. The players didn't even find out about it until today through social media and the guy is flying to Austin to do some PR and promote the move.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I heard an interview with the author of that article. Really good stuff.

Not a huge MLS fan, but having raised kids who played soccer at a high level through high school, often in C-bus, and going to several Crew games, Columbus is a really good soccer town. Would be a shame to see them move when their fan support is pretty good.

Yeah, I can't stand MLS, but I have a lot of sympathy for any fans who lose their team because of corporate greed when the support is clearly there. My club was in such horrible shape 30+ years ago that it was purchased for £1. Granted, clubs don't move in Europe the way that they do in America, but I'm sure the supporters at the time (I wasn't alive yet) would have a lot of empathy for the Crew's situation.

It's a ****show. A lot I could type but to keep it short, the owner had always intended to move the team and is really showing his sleazy businessman attitude right now. The players didn't even find out about it until today through social media and the guy is flying to Austin to do some PR and promote the move.

That's just cowardly. The ethics of moving in general aside, he has an obligation to inform his employees that their lives might be uprooted very soon.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Anyone have a Photoshop? I thought of this as the perfect remake staring Bylsma and Tomlin

movieposter.jpg

turd

Feb 1, 2013
This is why I always cringe at large contracts given to 30+ athletes. You never know when their time is going to be up, as Bettis once stated: "Each body can only take certain number of hits before it's done".

Ben is making 23 million + plus this year. Take away his past, which was magnificent, that is a HUGE overpay for his production.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/quarterback-salaries-cap-hits-highest-paid-players

Ben is only making a little over $18M which puts him 13th highest in the NFL this season. Look at some of the guys above him - Flacco, Palmer, Cousins, Stafford, etc. Except for Rodgers and Ryan, I’m not sure there’s anyone making that kind of money that I’d rather have. Sure he’s struggling this year, but he’s a freaking bargain compared to some of the bums that are making more than him.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’d take cousins in a heartbeat going forward. If ben is going to retire after this year, the Steelers should definitely pursue him, IMO.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I’d take cousins in a heartbeat going forward. If ben is going to retire after this year, the Steelers should definitely pursue him, IMO.

How much are you willing to pay him? He's been going year to year with Washington because he wants to break the bank. Is Kirk Cousins really the QB you want to throw that kind of money at?

I'm firmly convinced that drafting a QB is the way to go. Let the 9ers throw silly money at Cousins and be disappointed.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
How much are you willing to pay him? He's been going year to year with Washington because he wants to break the bank. Is Kirk Cousins really the QB you want to throw that kind of money at?

I'm firmly convinced that drafting a QB is the way to go. Let the 9ers throw silly money at Cousins and be disappointed.

Cousins is a good QB. No doubt in my mind this team can win with him at QB. The window to win is now, no guarantee they can find a QB in the draft.

Washington is a cancerous organization, it's disrespectful that they won't pay Cousins.

Since he took over full time at QB in 2015 he has posted these statics
15': 29 TD's, 11 ints, 4,166 yards, 69.8 completion%
16': 25 TD's, 12 ints, 4,917 yards, 67.0 completion %

He has played well so far this season also, but long season ahead.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah if Ben retires Cousins has to be the guy. He's done well without the level of talent he'd have here.

The window is open as long as they have a top 10 QB.

Hoping you find a good rookie in the draft and then waiting for him to develop is just not where the team is in its development.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Loved Cousins coming out of Michigan State and still love him as a player. Would be hard to imagine him not doing well with the current crop of players we have on offense. Ben could very likely hang them up and in that case I'd have no problem giving a 29/30 year old Kirk franchise money.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
mike mitchells act is very tired. hard to want to give him the benefit of the doubt and look forward to the day a skilled safety instead of an 'old school' one takes his place

Reactions: TNT87

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Why would anyone thats not a beneficiary of Mike Mitchell care about him being fined one way or another? His bank account doesnt effect anyone here.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Marshawn Lynch runs off the bench to get involved in a scrum on the field, puts his hands on a ref, gets ejected, then leaves the arena before the game is over.

This is the man that sits for the anthem like it's not even happening. What a great guy.

And people wonder why the NFL is hemorrhaging viewers.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Marshawn Lynch runs off the bench to get involved in a scrum on the field, puts his hands on a ref, gets ejected, then leaves the arena before the game is over.

This is the man that sits for the anthem like it's not even happening. What a great guy.

And people wonder why the NFL is hemorrhaging viewers.

Didn't watch - but hilarious. NFL should come down hard on him, too. They can't get their image right and it's damaging their product.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I can't believe I'm writing this but that was one hell of a Thursday night game.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Didn't watch - but hilarious. NFL should come down hard on him, too. They can't get their image right and it's damaging their product.
What is the hockey equivalent?

I remember Godard getting an automatic 10 games for leaving the Bench to jump in a scrum when someone went after Fleury.

And then Wideman got 20 games for putting his hands on a ref.

So that's 30 games at least if Lynch is in the NHL

Plus leaving the building after the fact.... how does your team even have your back after that?

But I doubt Lynch gets a single game considering some of the NFL commentators at half time and after the game were defending him already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->