The Pittsburgh Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skroob*

BigE said:
Winnipeg, please Winnipeg. ;)

My money is on Portland. I plan on movin to the area someday, and would allow me to see NYR come by once in a while.

hawker14 said:
i have no doubt the nhl will eventually return to winnipeg, but i sure hope it's not the pens because they have great fans (at least when the product is legitimate).

so, in otherwords, frontrunners? Ive gone to ranger games as much as i can in the last 7 years on a student budget. If you are a fan of the team, you go to the games. period.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
John Flyers Fan said:
A "good hockey market" should support a team team even when they aren't Stanley Cup contenders, and have one of the games 3 best players on the ice.

The top 5 Fox TV rating is a bit deceiving. The following US teams are not shown by Fox (and there are probably a few I'm missing): Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Boston, Buffalo, NY Rangers, NY Islanders and the NJ Devils.

John,
the penguins are supported rather well. Even in 02-03 when after they traded Kovalev they were still drawing at least 14k to an arena that holds 17k+. The drop started in 03-04 when they started off awful to the point it wasn't even good hockey to watch (except for Fleury's October play). The worst attented game I saw was 10k on something like a monday or tuesday night against the blue jackets (before Zherdev got there). As the season progressed and after they snapped the losing streak, attendance went back up to respectable levels. I would agree with you if this was a problem for more than 2-3 years, however it wasn't until last year a drop was really signifigant.

jb**

hockeydadx2 said:
I'm guessing that what will happen is that there will be a proviso that whoever gets the license, builds the arena. One of the applicant groups, besides Lemieux's group, has already pledged to do this, and has challenged the others to do the same. I suspect that they will all fall into line. Having Crosby come in, with all of the inevitable sellouts (especially with today's news that Malkin can now get out of the Russian league easily, if signed by Aug 15th), will only ratchet up the pressure.

And besides, when have we ever heard of some team not getting their new arena or stadium eventually? One way or another, they always get built.

Six months ago, I was worried. I'm not overconfident yet, but I think it's all starting to fall into place.
There does not have to a provision in the slots license stating that funds need to be allocated to build an arena. That is why they are paying 50mm for the license. The govt. has no say at all if the person awarded the license doesn't want to use any funds for the arena, it is entirely up to them.

egger66

John Flyers Fan said:
A "good hockey market" should support a team team even when they aren't Stanley Cup contenders, and have one of the games 3 best players on the ice.

The top 5 Fox TV rating is a bit deceiving. The following US teams are not shown by Fox (and there are probably a few I'm missing): Philadelphia, Washington, Chicago, Boston, Buffalo, NY Rangers, NY Islanders and the NJ Devils.

1. There's a big difference between not being a cup contender and being about the worst team in the league for 3 years running. There's also a big difference between having poor team and seeing you team self off all its good players, leaving the fans with absolutely no hope. You also fail to comment on the fact that the Pens had among the highest ticket pricces in thr NHL.

2. Lemieux has scarcely played the last 3 years. There goes that theory.

As far as TV is concerned. It check it out. Even you are right, that would put them in the middle of the league at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad