The Pirates are deciding to join FSG and the Pens on Sportsnet Pittsburgh

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Post Gazette article here

Main takeaways:

- The Pirates could have also gone with an MLB package but it was likely for less money.

- Apparently the Pirates made 50-60mil a year previously on their RSN deal and this one is significantly less. This raised questions in the article if the Pirates will decrease payroll even further which I think is a valid question. Especially when their payroll coincidentally is also 50-60mil per year.

- FSG really wants to bring us a direct streaming app for the Pens and Pirates like they have with Boston.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
kT3gIGu.gif

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
This may be dumb, but I enjoy the Pirates precisely because I have such low expectations. I don't get upset when they lose as it is expected. If they win it is a pleasant surprise. Plus, baseball just makes great background for reading or playing a video game or napping. Hockey sucks for that because the announcers make it sound too damn exciting. Oh, and MLB in general was greatly improved with the pitch clock, imo. Much less dead time and you get games under two hours sometimes.

Reactions: metalan2

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The Pirates are going to have a smaller payroll than Ohtani's salary. Brings to mind when the Pirates faced Albert Belle and the White Sox back in the day and Belle's salary was bigger than their entire payroll.

Would be curious how a salary cap would work in that league.

How many mlb teams would fold because they have a low pay roll.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
If FSG bought the Pirates that would be something.

This thread just tells me the Pirates will continue to be on TV.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
This may be dumb, but I enjoy the Pirates precisely because I have such low expectations. I don't get upset when they lose as it is expected. If they win it is a pleasant surprise. Plus, baseball just makes great background for reading or playing a video game or napping. Hockey sucks for that because the announcers make it sound too damn exciting. Oh, and MLB in general was greatly improved with the pitch clock, imo. Much less dead time and you get games under two hours sometimes.
Yea, I came back this season because the product was infinitely better. You don't really have to pay attention much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad