Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Serious question; are there really Sixers fans who watched this year (not to mention the seven years prior) and think that Morey doesn't need to find a reliable backup big? I mean, is there actually anyone who would be fine with just running it back with Reed/Bamba again next year?

I can't believe that this is even a discussion.

Reactions: Embiid

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Serious question; are there really Sixers fans who watched this year (not to mention the seven years prior) and think that Morey doesn't need to find a reliable backup big? I mean, is there actually anyone who would be fine with just running it back with Reed/Bamba again next year?

Is it an issue? Yes.

But is it going to be a focal point of Morey? I can’t see it. Nobody is going to want to sign for backup money to be the backup if they feel they can start / have a bigger role elsewhere. You just need to have the rest of the cast in a better position than what it was.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Is it an issue? Yes.

But is it going to be a focal point of Morey? I can’t see it. Nobody is going to want to sign for backup money to be the backup if they feel they can start / have a bigger role elsewhere. You just need to have the rest of the cast in a better position than what it was.
You will have a bigger role backing up Embiid than you will have backing up any other center in the NBA. That's the point.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
By playing less than 10 minutes in the playoffs? I’m sure that doesn’t appeal to most.
Starting 20 or so regular season games and then just being in the playoffs, with the possibility (we hope) of getting a ring, should appeal to quite a few. Steven Adams has been a starter most of his career but he's expected to be Houston's backup next season. And who knows if they even make the playoffs. Again, just an example.

Reactions: Rebels57

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Starting 20 or so regular season games and then just being in the playoffs, with the possibility (we hope) of getting a ring, should appeal to quite a few. Steven Adams has been a starter most of his career but he's expected to be Houston's backup next season. And who knows if they even make the playoffs. Again, just an example.

I mean sure. I get it. But I can’t imagine anyone will be chomping at the bit to be a backup for peanuts to play when it doesn’t matter.

Who are on your wish list?

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I mean sure. I get it. But I can’t imagine anyone will be chomping at the bit to be a backup for peanuts to play when it doesn’t matter.

Who are on your wish list?
Basically anyone who can defend the paint, make a decent pass, and rebound. A little offense would be nice too. I would call it more a "I can live with that list" than a "wish list".

2024 NBA Free Agents

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hartenstein isn't the only option, just an example. And it's not just about the series with the Knicks. Or about Paul Reed. It's about the fact when Embiid went down, Nurse decided that the best option to start (and frequently finish) games was Mo Bamba. You don't need to pay $15 million a year to get someone better than Mo Bamba.

PS: If you really stopped watching I guess you didn't see this. I didn't stop watching.

I didn't totally stop watching. Bamba eventually started the games because they preferred Reed's mentality off the bench. The minutes usually still had Reed leading Bamba, despite not starting, so it wasn't as simple as that. Bamba stunk on ice, but if you jettison Reed, it's a bigger hole to fill than Bamba. I think it's very easy to downgrade. I also think that issue was accentuated this season by a flawed supporting cast.

The central disagreement is over this: when Embiid went down. Nothing matters when Embiid goes down. Full on nihilism. We might as well go read Nietzsche instead of watch the Sixers. That's not me saying I want DeAndre Jordan (and yet Denver won with his corpse seeing minutes). Could they have a 3rd center on the roster who is more a traditional big? Sure, matchups vary. But those guys get abused in drop coverage come playoff time, which is all I care about. Again, look at the league as a whole. Having an athletic switchable 5, with good touch, is better than most teams. I don't know who is the archetype, and I don't think it's high up on the concern list.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Who would you prefer? Because the first name on that has struggled to move these playoffs. Also, don’t think he’s worth 15M.
I don’t think that guy is realistic. And no, not for 15M. He would be an upgrade though, if he was willing to take a pay cut 10M? And assume a backup role. Realistically? Theis wouldn’t be bad. I haven’t seen him much this year though. I like Claxton but he’s another one that might not want to be a backup. I doubt he would get more than 10 though.

Good old Andre Drummond would be on my list, near the bottom. But the Sixers must like him since they apparently had worked out a trade with Chicago, which the Bulls then backed out of. Hartenstein would be great but he’ll probably be too expensive after the way he’s played this year and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the Knicks starter next year. I’m sure there are other guys who may be available via trade as well.

I didn't totally stop watching. Bamba eventually started the games because they preferred Reed's mentality off the bench. The minutes usually still had Reed leading Bamba, despite not starting, so it wasn't as simple as that. Bamba stunk on ice, but if you jettison Reed, it's a bigger hole to fill than Bamba. I think it's very easy to downgrade. I also think that issue was accentuated this season by a flawed supporting cast.

The central disagreement is over this: when Embiid went down. Nothing matters when Embiid goes down. Full on nihilism. We might as well go read Nietzsche instead of watch the Sixers. That's not me saying I want DeAndre Jordan (and yet Denver won with his corpse seeing minutes). Could they have a 3rd center on the roster who is more a traditional big? Sure, matchups vary. But those guys get abused in drop coverage come playoff time, which is all I care about. Again, look at the league as a whole. Having an athletic switchable 5, with good touch, is better than most teams. I don't know who is the archetype, and I don't think it's high up on the concern list.
Well, you and I have agreed on a lot of things but we obviously have very different preferences for what the Sixers need as a backup center. So I’ll just leave it at that.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ok, it's probably safe to read this thread again.

As long as you give me a different vet min big from Bamba, I'd be pissed if they did anything else. They have a chance to add multiple meaningful pieces. That's where the money goes, not hedges on star health. Buying marginal wins is never where you want to be as a franchise. Make the offense better with Embiid off the court and you get those minutes up to acceptable levels.

Now that doesn't mean I don't want size. I'm all in on Caruso being the pick spend if Chicago makes him available, but then I want two pieces with meaningful size. You have to be able to defend big wings in the playoffs. Take your pick -- George, Butler, whatever. Then you want at least one more guy with size -- Batum, Advija, or your favorite other 4. Or go after Markkanen and swap in a defense-first wing. There are a good half dozen ways to make it work.

Bronny isn't rosterable on any team in the NBA

I hope you mean because of the heart problem and not talent. If you go back to last summer, Bronny was a top 50 non-affiliated NBA prospect. Not in the class. In all classes.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Just looking at the box score..looks like Ant is on fire so far
Enjoy this. Ant is him. And whats awesome is, unlike most elite pieces, he actually has a solid cast around him from jump.
He'll compete with this core and in ~5 years when he hits his prime he'll compete again.

Reactions: trostol

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

As long as you give me a different vet min big from Bamba, I'd be pissed if they did anything else. They have a chance to add multiple meaningful pieces. That's where the money goes, not hedges on star health. Buying marginal wins is never where you want to be as a franchise. Make the offense better with Embiid off the court and you get those minutes up to acceptable levels.

Now that doesn't mean I don't want size. I'm all in on Caruso being the pick spend if Chicago makes him available, but then I want two pieces with meaningful size. You have to be able to defend big wings in the playoffs. Take your pick -- George, Butler, whatever. Then you want at least one more guy with size -- Batum, Advija, or your favorite other 4. Or go after Markkanen and swap in a defense-first wing. There are a good half dozen ways to make it work.

I hope you mean because of the heart problem and not talent. If you go back to last summer, Bronny was a top 50 non-affiliated NBA prospect. Not in the class. In all classes.
on name recognition is a big factor in that imo.

nerlin noel or okafor!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad