The outcome of my Mock Draft.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Well, so many of you 'mocked' my mock draft but...if you compare what I predicted to what really happened...my mock draft was fairly accurate.

Not only did I predict Cherepanov to fall drastically (I had him going at #18 but he went at #17) but I also predicted Backland would be in the lower half of the draft (I had him at #25 but he went at #24).

More over I had 8 out of the top 10 picks correctly slotted in the top 10 (I didn't have the forsight to predict Hickey nor Ellerby in the top 10).

For a "terrible" mock draft I think I am owed a few apologies :)

Blades 0f Steel

Jun 23, 2002
Well, so many of you 'mocked' my mock draft but...if you compare what I predicted to what really happened...my mock draft was fairly accurate.

Not only did I predict Cherepanov to fall drastically (I had him going at #18 but he went at #17) but I also predicted Backland would be in the lower half of the draft (I had him at #25 but he went at #24).

More over I had 8 out of the top 10 picks correctly slotted in the top 10 (I didn't have the forsight to predict Hickey nor Ellerby in the top 10).

Cool.

Link?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

even the sun shines on a dog's butt once.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
What? If you go out of your way to soak up your glory you might as well have some glory to soak up. Dude you weren't that close. And....most mocks were as good or better so I dont know why you posted that????

Dude not only did you not have hickey in the top 10, you didn't have him in the top 30. Also Ellerby at 20? pahleease...

My Mock Draft.
Here is my mock draft:

1) Chicago: Kane - C
Too much of a sure thing (in a draft of many question marks) to pass up.

2) Philadelphia: Turris - C
The guy they wanted all along. Chicago might try trading down knowing this.

3) Phoenix: Gagner - C
They need a solid prospect who will all but for sure make the NHL.

4) Los Angeles: vanRiemsdyck - LW
He has size, speed and the hands to play alongside the many NHL prospects the Kings already have.

5) Washington: Voracek - RW
More scoring for the Caps.

6) Edmonton: Esposito - C
Even though there many be higher ranked players still available I think dreams of another Gretzky looms large in their heads. If there is a kid in this draft that can turn out to be a franchise player - it is this kid.

7) Columbus: Couture - C
Hoping to nab Esposito they settle for a lesser skiled Couture; but less of a gamble.

8) Boston: Sutter - C
I think the bloodlines, combined with the skill, will be too hard for the Bruins to pass by this player.

9) St. Louis: Alzner - D
I actually think that the Blues will trade this pick but if they don't they are high on Alzner because of his steadyness. Cherepanov, if still available (a player I think will drop hugely in this draft), could be a player they take a flyer on too.

10) Florida: Hamill - C
Small but a scorer - something the Panthers need now and in the future.

11) Carolina: Petrecki - D
Time to restock the defensive end and this behemoth would make a great addition to any future blueline.

12) Montreal: Plante - D
Defensive cupboards are bare on the farm. Montreal is high on Petrecki but I think they will miss out on him and settle for Plante - another big defensive boy.

13) Toronto: Gillies - C
Again it is a case of skill and bloodlines that the Maple Leafs will find it hard to pass this guy up - if he is still around. Very consistant player.

14) Colorado: Moller - RW
Heavily scouted my the Avs this RW will continue to add speed and skill to an already high octane offense.

15) Edmonton: Mayorov - LW
IMO this kid is a huge risk BUT with three picks in the first round I believe Edmonton will take the risk - he could be another Pavel Bure.

16) Anaheim: Repik - RW
With the amount of prospects already in the pipeline I think Burke would have liked to take Mayorov (or maybe take a flyer at Cherepanov if still available) but will have to settle in for Repik - a guy Burkie knows all too well.

17) New York Rangers: Shattenkirk - D
A very safe pick from their own backyard.

18) Calgary: Cherepanov - RW
Like I have said above, I think this kid will fall like a rock. Attitude problems and lack of heart will overshadow any skill he might possess. But at this spot Calgary would be dumb not to take a gamble on him.

19) Minnesota: Blum - D
A typical Wild pick: defensively sound with the ability to put points up.

20) Pittsburg: Eller - LW
Would look great alongside either Crosby or Malkin.

21) Phoenix: Ellerby - D
Like many teams this year, it is time to restock on the back end. While many lists have him ranked higher there are questions surrounding his ability to "put it all together". He is a big guy, wiht a hard shot but doesn't seem to score. I think he will fall down to the low 20's.

22) Montreal: Veilleux - C
Has good hands, good size and has shown to be able to score. Plus, he's from La Belle Province.

23) Philadelphia: O'Brien - C
One of the youngest players in the draft the Flyers will be patient with his development as they will be needing some more center's in the near future.

24) St. Louis: McDonagh - D
The Blues were impressed by this kid when they tested him. Even though they have another later pick they won't want to risk losing him to another team: namely the Canucks. He is as close to a can't miss as they come in this draft. Not going to be a star but just a nice quiet consistant d-man.

25) Vancouver: Backlund - C
Many think he won't be available at this spot but if he is Backlund is the future center they will be needing in a couple of years. I think the Canucks will try to move up high in the draft to get a crack at Esposito or Couture OR try to get a mid pick to try and land Repik.

26) St. Louis: Gistedt - G
The Blues will go off the board with their 3rd first round pick to add some depth to their future goalie pipeline.

27) Detroit: Maclean - LW
Detroit will be very happy if he is still around at this spot and will fit in nicely with the talent they already have.

28) Washington: Pacioretty - LW
A bit of a drop for him but will eventually kill penatlies for a future powerhouse in Washington.

29) Ottawa: Sweatt - LW
Many have him going higher but I don't see it. He can skate that is for sure but I think he will be a low first rounder and maybe slide into the 2nd.

30) Edmonton: Gratchev - LW
With their 3rd pick in the first round Edmonton will grab this kid in a heartbeat - lots of speed, great hands and one of the oldest players in the draft.

Brownie

Aug 16, 2006
Richmond
I only had three picks dead on

1) Patrick Kane (Pretty much a gimme)
10) Keaton Ellerby
14) Kevin Shattenkirk

- I was also really close with Gillies and Hamill (missed them by both by 1 spot)

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
I had 8 picks on 30 dead on.

The top 3
Voracek a 7th
I also had McDonagh to MTL, Lars Eller at 13th (well the pick was traded but he was picked there) and Shattenkirk at 14th.
Finally, I got Pacioretty at 22nd which makes me pretty proud 'cause it means I got both habs picks right!

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
What? If you go out of your way to soak up your glory you might as well have some glory to soak up. Dude you weren't that close. And....most mocks were as good or better so I dont know why you posted that????

Dude not only did you not have hickey in the top 10, you didn't have him in the top 30. Also Ellerby at 20? pahleease...

My Mock Draft.
Here is my mock draft:

1) Chicago: Kane - C
Too much of a sure thing (in a draft of many question marks) to pass up.

2) Philadelphia: Turris - C
The guy they wanted all along. Chicago might try trading down knowing this.

3) Phoenix: Gagner - C
They need a solid prospect who will all but for sure make the NHL.

4) Los Angeles: vanRiemsdyck - LW
He has size, speed and the hands to play alongside the many NHL prospects the Kings already have.

5) Washington: Voracek - RW
More scoring for the Caps.

6) Edmonton: Esposito - C
Even though there many be higher ranked players still available I think dreams of another Gretzky looms large in their heads. If there is a kid in this draft that can turn out to be a franchise player - it is this kid.

7) Columbus: Couture - C
Hoping to nab Esposito they settle for a lesser skiled Couture; but less of a gamble.

8) Boston: Sutter - C
I think the bloodlines, combined with the skill, will be too hard for the Bruins to pass by this player.

9) St. Louis: Alzner - D
I actually think that the Blues will trade this pick but if they don't they are high on Alzner because of his steadyness. Cherepanov, if still available (a player I think will drop hugely in this draft), could be a player they take a flyer on too.

10) Florida: Hamill - C
Small but a scorer - something the Panthers need now and in the future.

11) Carolina: Petrecki - D
Time to restock the defensive end and this behemoth would make a great addition to any future blueline.

12) Montreal: Plante - D
Defensive cupboards are bare on the farm. Montreal is high on Petrecki but I think they will miss out on him and settle for Plante - another big defensive boy.

13) Toronto: Gillies - C
Again it is a case of skill and bloodlines that the Maple Leafs will find it hard to pass this guy up - if he is still around. Very consistant player.

14) Colorado: Moller - RW
Heavily scouted my the Avs this RW will continue to add speed and skill to an already high octane offense.

15) Edmonton: Mayorov - LW
IMO this kid is a huge risk BUT with three picks in the first round I believe Edmonton will take the risk - he could be another Pavel Bure.

16) Anaheim: Repik - RW
With the amount of prospects already in the pipeline I think Burke would have liked to take Mayorov (or maybe take a flyer at Cherepanov if still available) but will have to settle in for Repik - a guy Burkie knows all too well.

17) New York Rangers: Shattenkirk - D
A very safe pick from their own backyard.

18) Calgary: Cherepanov - RW
Like I have said above, I think this kid will fall like a rock. Attitude problems and lack of heart will overshadow any skill he might possess. But at this spot Calgary would be dumb not to take a gamble on him.

19) Minnesota: Blum - D
A typical Wild pick: defensively sound with the ability to put points up.

20) Pittsburg: Eller - LW
Would look great alongside either Crosby or Malkin.

21) Phoenix: Ellerby - D
Like many teams this year, it is time to restock on the back end. While many lists have him ranked higher there are questions surrounding his ability to "put it all together". He is a big guy, wiht a hard shot but doesn't seem to score. I think he will fall down to the low 20's.

22) Montreal: Veilleux - C
Has good hands, good size and has shown to be able to score. Plus, he's from La Belle Province.

23) Philadelphia: O'Brien - C
One of the youngest players in the draft the Flyers will be patient with his development as they will be needing some more center's in the near future.

24) St. Louis: McDonagh - D
The Blues were impressed by this kid when they tested him. Even though they have another later pick they won't want to risk losing him to another team: namely the Canucks. He is as close to a can't miss as they come in this draft. Not going to be a star but just a nice quiet consistant d-man.

25) Vancouver: Backlund - C
Many think he won't be available at this spot but if he is Backlund is the future center they will be needing in a couple of years. I think the Canucks will try to move up high in the draft to get a crack at Esposito or Couture OR try to get a mid pick to try and land Repik.

26) St. Louis: Gistedt - G
The Blues will go off the board with their 3rd first round pick to add some depth to their future goalie pipeline.

27) Detroit: Maclean - LW
Detroit will be very happy if he is still around at this spot and will fit in nicely with the talent they already have.

28) Washington: Pacioretty - LW
A bit of a drop for him but will eventually kill penatlies for a future powerhouse in Washington.

29) Ottawa: Sweatt - LW
Many have him going higher but I don't see it. He can skate that is for sure but I think he will be a low first rounder and maybe slide into the 2nd.

30) Edmonton: Gratchev - LW
With their 3rd pick in the first round Edmonton will grab this kid in a heartbeat - lots of speed, great hands and one of the oldest players in the draft.

Listen, I posted this thread because of the s**t beating I took for my mock - and it's nearly as bad as so many people said. The funny thing is that people even mock "mock" drafts. I just wanted to point out that to make fun of what other people post is ridiculous.

And my mock draft was pretty darn good!! Like I said, I had 8 of 10 of the top 10 picks right, 14 out of the top 20 and in total I got 23 out of 30 right. In addition, 14 of the 30 picks I made were either dead on in the right place OR at the maximum of 3 slots away: including Backland, Cherepanov, Gillies, Couture and Plante (guys that were all over the board in mock drafts). And finally, I also predicted (successfuly) that the Blues would trade their 1st pick (#9).

I totally missed Hickey, Cole, MacMillan, Nash, White, Smith and Ross.

Players I had going higher but fell: Esposito (I had him going at #6)

Players that went higher than I anticipated: Ellerby at #10 (I had him going at #21), McDonagh at #12 (I had him going at #24) along with O'Brien, Pacioretty and Eller - although in the case of those three I had them pegged within 6 spots of where they went.

So all in all it was not a mock draft that deserved the undue negative attention it got.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I got the following picks right;

1) Kane
2) Van Riemsdyk
3) Turris
5) Alzner
6) Gagner
7) Voracek
12) McDonagh

After that.. nothing.. and really nothing all that close