OT: The Other Sports Thread VI - The NFL is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hoping this thread isn't out of line - i'm sure there are a lot of NFL fans like I here who are excited for the draft tonight.

What team do you cheer for and who are you hoping they draft?

As a Niners fan, a few months ago I was fully expecting to be challenging the Browns for the #1 overall pick and having to decide between the QB's which would go to the Niners.

Then the Jimmy G trade happened and changed everything.

They could go any number of ways here, i'm wondering if the situation with Reuben Foster affects their draft plans though, if so, I expect them to take Roquan Smith (LB) or Tremain Edwards.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Hoping this thread isn't out of line - i'm sure there are a lot of NFL fans like I here who are excited for the draft tonight.

What team do you cheer for and who are you hoping they draft?

As a Niners fan, a few months ago I was fully expecting to be challenging the Browns for the #1 overall pick and having to decide between the QB's which would go to the Niners.

Then the Jimmy G trade happened and changed everything.

They could go any number of ways here, i'm wondering if the situation with Reuben Foster affects their draft plans though, if so, I expect them to take Roquan Smith (LB) or Tremain Edwards.
Sorry about moving the thread around. I clicked on the wrong thread.

Anywho, hoping the Jets don't f*** it up tonight. Being a Jets' fan though, I fully expect them to do something stupid.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Those of you watching the NFL draft, can you share which team you're a fan of and why.

Also, which player or position are you looking for your team to target in the early rounds?

Thanks in advance.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sorry about moving the thread around. I clicked on the wrong thread.

Anywho, hoping the Jets don't **** it up tonight. Being a Jets' fan though, I fully expect them to do something stupid.
It's all good!

This draft is so interesting given all the QB's slated to go early...I expect a few trade ups/down tonight from QB needy teams.

Talk is the Pats are planning a big move as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move up to target Brady's eventual successor.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Those of you watching the NFL draft, can you share which team you're a fan of and why.
San Francisco 49ers fan...starting watching the NFL in the 80's and the Niners were basically one of the best teams around, Montana/Young/Rice/Craig.

That and I used to always kill my bro playing Tecmo Bowl using the Niners, they were unstoppable.

Also, which player or position are you looking for your team to target in the early rounds?
could go many ways, last week I would of told you one of the top rated LB's, either Roquan Smith or Tremain Edwards, but that was because I didn't expect Reuben Foster (last year's stud LB they picked late in the 1st) was going to play at all this year because of some off the field trouble.

But last night some new developments around that case may mean it's thrown out all together.

I suppose though if Quetin Nelson happens to drop to #9, they have to pick him, with the money invested in Jimmy G...they have to protect him and the interior of the line was a weakness last year.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Thanks in advance.

I'll be watching the draft and hockey game
I'm a Patriots fan, been one since 1997. Became a fan of the of the Pats in the AFC championchip game that year when they played in Pittsburgh and surprised the Steelers,
Watching the game with a few Steelers fans at the time and not knowing much about Football, I just wanted to bust their balls lol So I picked the Pats and they ended up winning before losing the SB against the Packers. Bledsoe,Terry Glenn and Ben Coates are the players I really liked back. Been a fan ever since and have watched 2 games live, one a Gillette and one in Buffalo
Nothing and I really mean nothing beats watching an NFL game. Those who have never had the chance really need to make it a priority
I expect us to draft a QB for sure with JG gone and some LB. As usualy BB will go with the defensive players but a RB would not be a bad decision

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm a lifelong Packers fan (as probably everybody on the forum knows by now :laugh: ) and I'm expecting my team to go with a defensive lineman with the 14th pick, either Da'Ron Payne from Alabama (awesome name by the way) if he's still available or Harold Landry from BC. The out of the left field pick would be a QB as there going to be a few good ones left by that point but I don't think the organization is ready to prepare the post Rodgers life just yet.
As for why I'm a fan, like the Habs and the Expos back in the day, it's mostly thanks to my dad. Those were his favorites and the ones he was always watching when they were on TV or the radio. I had to like them too or fight my old man for the remote :laugh: . Growing up in eastern Ontario played a part in that too obviously, you kinda have to either hate or love Toronto and my choice was made very early on that front.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Thanks in advance.

Giants fan. Wanted a classic team that was close to the area. Loved Thunder and Lightning (Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne).

They have the 2nd pick. Been linked to Barkley who is one of the best offensive players to declare for the draft in quite some time. However the smart move would be to go for a QB since Eli is 37. Get the young man to learn for a year or two like Rodgers did with Favre. I think that’s best going forward.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
I am also a Browns fan and i can only hope we are not taking the Johnny Manziel clone Mayfield.AFC North needs a big QB so hoping for Darnold or even Allen if the GM deems him worthy.The 4th pick will probably be Chubb,Barkley or a trade down.Exciting night for Browns fans and we have plenty of picks second and third day of the draft.Finally after 20 years since the return things are looking up.Imagine being a fan of the Browns and Habs.At least the Browns are doing things the right way now.Same can't be said for the Habs.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I'm a Browns fan... Looks like we're taking Baker at #1 and I would expect us to trade down from #4 as is tradition

Hoping for you you're not taking Allen with the first pick. Any of the 3 other QBs would be great selections IMO.

Big fan of Tremaine Edmunds. Hoping the Steelers find a way to get their hands on him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Yeah, Allen is that hot girl in college that looks amazing but actually has a ton of issues that you really don't want in your life . Don't let the cannon arm fool you.

Reactions: Mathletic

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
It's all good!

This draft is so interesting given all the QB's slated to go early...I expect a few trade ups/down tonight from QB needy teams.

Talk is the Pats are planning a big move as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move up to target Brady's eventual successor.

The irony in this is Jimmy G was supposed to be Brady's heir :laugh:

To answer Runner's question, I don't really follow one specific team. I watch whatever games are on. If I had to pick one it would be the Carolina Panthers. Mostly because of Cam Newton but this season Christian McCaffery was incredible to watch as a rookie. I find Cam gets into his own head sometimes and is his own worst enemy but when he is on he is really fun to watch.

Reactions: 417 and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks to all of you for providing background on your favorite teams.

I've always struggled to find one team to root for. No one was into NFL football in my family or even friends, so I just went channel-surfing.

When you root for a team on account of following your Dad's footsteps, it makes it very easy to sustain your allegiance. But, when you're a vagabond fan like me ...

I've attended one NFL game many years ago in Foxborough, watched the Patriots play the Bills. Went with my several friends and we did a double-whammy Boston week-end, attending a Bruins game at the old Boston Gardens and the Patriot game on the Sunday. One of our friends bailed on the Patriot game, lol. I tried to sell off the ticket for him near the stadium but unfortunately, I was issued a summons to appear in Court for "hawking". I still ended up attending the football game and all I remember is how far away I was from the field, the players looked so small and I couldn't believe how many fans fit into that place.

You feel like a speck of dust in a sea of humanity. And seating was pretty tight and there were fans constantly screaming, swearing, swinging their beers about and invading the little space I had. And most of them were sporting Patriot colors, I felt out of place just wearing regular clothes. I remember the roar of the crowd, how impressive it looked to me that so many people could all co-exist in one place.

I also remember lots of tailgates in the parking area adjacent to the stadium and people having a great time well before game time.

Following the game, I returned home. And then got a court date for my summons. My friends made the trip back with me to attend court, as we took turns driving. I was able to negotiate a deal with the prosecutor which involved paying a fine and they withdrew the charge.

And here I am several years later, still channel surfing and without a team. Hence, I continue to be intrigued about what triggers someone to become a lifelong fan of a team that is not playing in the city they live in.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Thanks in advance.

I am a Packers' fan, started watching because of Brett Favre and have been a fan ever since.

Hoping for an impact player on D in the first round likely a CB, also would like them to get help at EDGE and WR early on in the draft.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I stumbled on a college football game one Saturday many many years ago and there was a school playing called Notre-Dame. A lot of my uncles went to the one in Montreal, so I thought, maybe I'll check it out. I knew about the CFL but never really watched it. So this was a new game for me. It took about one quarter and I was completely hooked. This coincided with the emergence of a certain Joe Montana, who I thought had the coolest name. The year after, he was the starter and I officially became a Fighting Irish fan. I still root for them today. Would love to attend a game in South Bend.

When the 49ers drafted Joe, I became a Niners fan and although they're not my favorite any more, I still keep an eye on their seasons, bad as they have been. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad