The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Schiano was the better hire. Fwiw, Manning and Phil wanted Schiano
I have seen 0 people who think Schiano was a better hire until I saw your post. Guess there is a first time for everything. Leach would have been the best hire of our serious candidates but Pruitt is going to kill it in recruiting.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I have seen 0 people who think Schiano was a better hire until I saw your post. Guess there is a first time for everything. Leach would have been the best hire of our serious candidates but Pruitt is going to kill it in recruiting.
Butch Jones killed it in Recruiting!! He had 3 top 5 classes and 2 top 10 classes.
Why is recruiting so important to Vawl fans?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Butch Jones killed it in Recruiting!! He had 3 top 5 classes and 2 top 10 classes.
Since 1996, every national championship winner had at least one top 10 recruiting class in the 4 years prior to winning the title. (Only exception: 2000 Oklahoma)....

Recruiting doesn't guarantee winning, but you can't win at an elite level without it. I'm not a Vols fan, I'm just saying every team that has aspirations of being better than 7-5 wants to recruit as well as they can on a national level.

Reactions: Viqsi

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Since 1996, every national championship winner had at least one top 10 recruiting class in the 4 years prior to winning the title. (Only exception: 2000 Oklahoma)....

Recruiting doesn't guarantee winning, but you can't win at an elite level without it. I'm not a Vols fan, I'm just saying every team that has aspirations of being better than 7-5 wants to recruit as well as they can on a national level.
I understand the importance of recruiting but they just fired a guy that was great at recruiting. That instantly became the reason for the fans and media got excited about him. They loved Butch Jones for his recruiting until all those top 10 classes equated in losing seasons. I would want a good coach instead of recruiter.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Butch couldn't develop 5 star recruits into average SEC starters. If you don't know why recruiting is integral in college football I don't know what I can do for you.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
One comes with baggage the other doesn't, even if it isn't true. Not saying it makes the right hire, but I can understand why some fans would see a difference.

Also let's face it, after this mess someone has to coach the team and you sure don't want it to be Brady Hoke.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
There is absolutely no way anyone can know for sure that Schiano or Pruitt would be better than one another.

I do know for sure that UT did a good job damaging the brand in transitioning from Schiano to Pruitt.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
There is absolutely no way anyone can know for sure that Schiano or Pruitt would be better than one another.

I do know for sure that UT did a good job damaging the brand in transitioning from Schiano to Pruitt.
Nothing damages the brand more than losing. Sure seems like the Chancellor has told the Haslams enough is enough and Fulmer as AD is going to mend quite a few fences. I think this hire was a solid B. He is putting together a very good staff as we speak.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Nothing damages the brand more than losing.

That also implies the brand can be hurt regardless of performance on the field. And it has been. The point is that no one has any way to know Pruitt will be better than Schiano. But everyone should know UT just took a major beating for what has happened over the last few weeks. Probably more of a beating than the one Vandy put on them. :)

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Nothing damages the brand more than losing. Sure seems like the Chancellor has told the Haslams enough is enough and Fulmer as AD is going to mend quite a few fences. I think this hire was a solid B. He is putting together a very good staff as we speak.

The media missed the story here - this went far beyond Schiano. A small group of boosters (maybe a group of 1) have been stocking Tennessee with their cronies for over a decade. Vol fans finally had enough. It's not really the media's fault though - you have to have followed UT pretty closely over 10+ years to see how this volcano was going to blow.

Reactions: TitansVolsPreds615

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
How do you guys even know this stuff? It seems like everyone has a friend who has a contact who knows the Haslam’s maid who told someone that Manning found out from Phil that he wasn’t on board and Manning was mad so going to move to Ohio but might actually come out of retirement to play for the Titans next year instead.

/near verbatim post from any vol forum

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
How do you guys even know this stuff? It seems like everyone has a friend who has a contact who knows the Haslam’s maid who told someone that Manning found out from Phil that he wasn’t on board and Manning was mad so going to move to Ohio but might actually come out of retirement to play for the Titans next year instead.

If you have been following UT for 20+ years you know what is going on. Volquest has been pretty plugged in to the whole behind the scenes process of the coaching search. The War Room this morning had some pretty shocking info in it from the search about Currie and the Haslams. There have been a lot of hints the last few years of the Haslams using their money to leverage their agendas into the UT Athletic Department. Everyone in the administration was more of less a Haslam puppet until the last couple weeks. They are so incensed that there wasn't a single Haslam at Pruitt's introductory press conference. Kudos to Chancellor Davenport on being the first person in decades to stand up to the Haslams and tell them "No, we are doing this my way not yours". Phil Fulmer is a hall of fame football coach. He may be a terrible AD but I know that he will give the football program every resource it asks for going forward.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

I live in Knoxville. In Knoxville, the folks here follow a variety of sports:

Vol Football, Vol recruiting, Vol rumor mongering, Vol Spring Practice, Vol Summer workouts, Vol recruiting camp circuit, Vols in the preseason magazines, Vol new Nike gear season, and Vol fall training camp.

In all seriousness - the media in Knoxville is plugged in way beyond the point where anyone would deem reasonable. An 18 year old kid can tweet something ambiguous and 5 different media outlets are ready to murder each other to find out what it is.

It's very hard to keep a secret in Knoxville when it comes to the Vols.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
In all seriousness - the media in Knoxville is plugged in way beyond the point where anyone would deem reasonable. An 18 year old kid can tweet something ambiguous and 5 different media outlets are ready to murder each other to find out what it is.

Sounds like a potentially fun game to play on some folks. LOL

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yeah, I feel like all of the major programs, especially the ones where they're the only game in town, have some crazy obsessed fans and media. Not to say that Knoxville isn't right there with the worst of them, just that they're not totally unique in that regard. It doesn't make it okay, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad