OT: The OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Figured we should have an off topic thread, just a place for everyone to chat about what's going on outside of the hockey world, whether it be news, television, personal experiences, etc..

For me the Minnesota Governors recent comments have really irked me.. I mean, comparing NFL players to vets coming back from war? Was this guy even thinking when he said this?

“Shake one of their hands and you know that this is someone who is not your ordinary citizen. They're heavily armored, heavily psyched to do what they have to do and go out there. It's, basically, slightly civilized war," Dayton said.

"Then they take that into society. Much as soldiers come back, they've been in combat or the edge of it and suddenly that adjustment back to civilian life is a real challenge. And that's part of the reality. That's not to say it's good and it shouldn't be improved. It should."
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19607792/minnesota-governor-idle-time-for-nfl-players-is-the-devils-play

He is rightfully catching a lot of heat for it, I know it's a few days old but I figured I'd start the thread off with something someone current that was bothering me

Fire away fellow Flames fans!

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
4844451_460s.jpg

This made me laugh. The only ones that remotely make sense for being similar are the Middle Eastern and Latin American ones.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Tim Thomas has gone from hero to zero in one season. I didn't agree with his White House snub, but I didn't make a huge deal out of it...Then his whole rapture-esque reasoning for not wanting to play next season was like...you got some screws loose, man... And now this? GTFO.

Aug 3, 2010
Tim Thomas has gone from hero to zero in one season. I didn't agree with his White House snub, but I didn't make a huge deal out of it...Then his whole rapture-esque reasoning for not wanting to play next season was like...you got some screws loose, man... And now this? GTFO.

Agreed. He was one of my favourite goaltenders in the current era even before the Cup run, but now I've lost a lot of respect for him as a person. I respect his athleticism but I have to question even his dedication/respect for the game itself.

I get that he's his own man, and that he has his own ideals of how his country should be run and how he can live his life. I respect that.

But it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The Bruins don't need him and his screwed up ways, nor does the league need it. Let's hope it's more than a year off.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The Bruins don't need him and his screwed up ways, nor does the league need it. Let's hope it's more than a year off.

He seems like he would be very hard to like as a person I doubt a team takes a chance on him unless they are really desperate (Chicago).

Aug 3, 2010
Is it bad that I wish that one of Tim Thomas' children turns out gay/lesbian and dates a non-Caucasian somewhere down the road.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So I was ok with T.Thomas not going to the white house because of the beliefs and I tried to not let the fact that he is a member of the Tea Party effect my view of him but http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/07/26/tim-thomas-supports-chick-fil-as-stance-on-gay-marriage/

Saying that he supports Chick-Fil-A in voicing its anti gay agenda. I am glad he is gone from the NHL and hope to never seem him play again.
I wasn't ok with him skipping the white house. That's one of those honorable moments a team experiences together when they win the championship. As an individual you get to take the cup home and all that, but as a team you get commemorated, paraded, and honored. I saw it as him letting his petty beliefs interfere with his teammate responsibilities.

The Tea Party thing is screwed up. I don't care who knows it, I think those people are as crazy as any other religious or political radicalists. Sure the Tea Party isn't violent as some radicalists, but it's agenda is just as ignorant and stubborn IMO. I know saying these things probably makes me look intolerant, but healthy nationalism, religious lobbying, and reasonable capitalism is fine by me, the Tea Party however, are too extreme for me to sit comfortably with them.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Speaking of nationalists...

Article

Two former Milosevic allies (ultra nationalists at that) in Serbia are now President and Prime Minister, which will likely undo a decade of progress from the nations Democratic party.

For those that don't know (pretty much everybody except Duck Sauce), my family is from Bosnia-Herzegovina, so seeing a new rise in nationalism in Serbia is rather... concerning.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Speaking of nationalists...

Article

Two former Milosevic allies (ultra nationalists at that) in Serbia are now President and Prime Minister, which will likely undo a decade of progress from the nations Democratic party.

For those that don't know (pretty much everybody except Duck Sauce), my family is from Bosnia-Herzegovina, so seeing a new rise in nationalism in Serbia is rather... concerning.

That does sound concerning. Mind you I don't pretend to know the complexities of that region in Europe, given the events that led to the break up of Yugoslavia, but I loosely understand that Serbs were primarly responsible for the bulk of the war crimes during the war in the early 90s, yes?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Just because Tim Thomas is known doesn't mean he can have opinions?

I have no problem with him having an opinion about gay marriage and such but no one asked him about his opinion he is using his celebrity status as a way to draw attention to his opinion.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here's some random fire by me.
I'm Dutch, and think Begium people are way to arrogant considering their claim to fame is beer.

We should have threads stickied for "Fantasy Questions" and "Trade Rumors" as well as "Injury Reports" during the regular season. We could also sticky a Flames Twitter thread.

Where did the Lunatik and Medium Rare go to?

Also when it is election time in Canada, why do our Prime Minister debates seem like an SNL skit? Why do the candidates not know what social media is? And why can't Canadian citizens vote online? Voting would be increased ten fold and tallying would be done electronically.

Lastly, I was debating to changing my username to "Lucky Number Sven", what do you guys think?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'm Dutch, and think Begium people are way to arrogant considering their claim to fame is beer.

We should have threads stickied for "Fantasy Questions" and "Trade Rumors" as well as "Injury Reports" during the regular season. We could also sticky a Flames Twitter thread.

Also when it is election time in Canada, why do our Prime Minister debates seem like an SNL skit? Why do the candidates not know what social media is? And why can't Canadian citizens vote online? Voting would be increased ten fold and tallying would be done electronically.

Lastly, I was debating to changing my username to "Lucky Number Sven", what do you guys think?

He changed his profile name to Timmy and then disappeared.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

That's actually a great idea!

They got banned it seems lol.

That's a clever name. I have always wondered, what does MVW mean?

And I don't know the answers for your canadian politics question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad