TV: The Orville - Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I think my favorite humor bit (among several this episode) was when Lamar blew up the enemy ship and just goes off "Yeah bitch!! That's what I'm talkin about". It was just such the opposite of what would happen on Star Trek, in a good way. The personalities are already being developed pretty well

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think my favorite humor bit (among several this episode) was when Lamar blew up the enemy ship and just goes off "Yeah bitch!! That's what I'm talkin about". It was just such the opposite of what would happen on Star Trek, in a good way. The personalities are already being developed pretty well
I actually liked the start of the last episode where Klyden got himself ice cream and put on the movie to make him happy, then gave Bortus that look when he was leaving.

Loved the whole xeno zoo plot.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Episode 4 was great. I loved the part when they opened the roof to reveal the stars, you could imagine the inhabitant's reaction. I also like the opening theme, a combination of TNG and Voyager while the closing theme is more Star Wars John Williams like. I hope it keeps getting better, it's a nice break from all the darkness in Discovery.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I wrote in the Discovery thread a few days ago that this really does feel so much more like Star Trek than the new show with "Star Trek" in its name. I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying this. I wasn't looking forward to it, wasn't expecting to watch it (I only gave it a chance because of how disappointing Discovery has been) and I don't even like MacFarlane. This is the only thing of his that I've ever actually liked. Hearing that he's a big Trekker and seeing this love letter to Star Trek, especially to TNG (my favorite show of all time), is making me re-think my opinion of him.

The last episode (Ep4) really was the best yet. It felt just like a TNG or TOS episode, as though they married the Dyson Sphere episode from TNG with the Roman, Nazi and mobster episodes of TOS. I also liked that it had similarities to The Village.

The second and third episodes were also very TNG-like. Many TNG episodes started the same way as Ep2, with the Enterprise responding to a call for help and having to beam down to learn why (because the scientist/politician prefers to show them) and the abduction reminded me a tiny bit of episodes like Darmok and The Inner Light. Ep3 was a bit more of a filler episode, but still very TNG like in the ethical conflict and the courtroom scenes and Mercer's coup de grace was exactly something that Picard would've done (in fact, there's an episode in which he does do something pretty similar).

Anyways, this is definitely more of a love letter than a "spoof." It's not perfect, but it's so easy to ignore the imperfections when it gets so many things so right. It may not be Star Trek, but it feels more like it than anything produced in the last 20 years.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
9EyddTg.png

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
LMAO at Isaac's "joke". :biglaugh:

Can't believe he amputated his leg. Too funny.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I'm professional."

*Knock knock

"Houskeeping!"

That was a good one.

A few forced parts but all in all a good episode.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
A throwback to another TNG episode, changed up a bit.

“She knows because she’s from the future..”

But it was in the past... lol

I also loved the leg randomly falling out of the ceiling. I hope they keep up with decent guest stars as well.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Pretty good episode. The show has definitely settled into a TNG groove. It's akin to watching the adventures of a different Starfleet crew in the same TNG universe.

Scott Grimes was funny. I laughed at his "I got this" line delivery to the Captain during the opening rescue sequence. I also liked his reaction to his "finding a vein" joke falling flat at the cocktail party (as an aside, the XO knows how to wear a cocktail dress). After Isaac's practical joke, Grimes' voice drifted into the upper register, nearing Steve Smith of "American Dad" territory (one of my favorite voice animated characters).

The potential now exists for the crew to adopt transporter technology. I had half wondered if the show was avoiding this due to some Star Trek "intellectual property" business, but that shouldn't be the case, as it's been used elsewhere in the sci fi universe. I never fail to notice when the crew doesn't beam from one location to another. While it's more unique to have the crew reliant on shuttles to transport to and from -- at least when watching from a Trek perspective -- I hope they implement the technology.

Frakes' directing was unobtrusive, as it should be. Theron was solid. I'm back and forth on MacFarlane in the lead role. He's been solid as the creative force behind the show, but the romance stuff fell flat for me this episode.

Definitely seems that way. If I had to venture a guess, the season finale is going to end on a cliffhanger, with Stewart starring as a villain threatening the entire Union. Bold prediction over.

That would be a fun watch. I'd expect Stewart taking a comedic turn, only because that's how MacFarlane has always utilised him. If anyone finds out about a potential Stewart appearance, maybe spoiler tag it in the thread. This is one case where I'd prefer to be surprised.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
A throwback to another TNG episode, changed up a bit.

“She knows because she’s from the future..”

But it was in the past... lol

I also loved the leg randomly falling out of the ceiling. I hope they keep up with decent guest stars as well.
The whole practical joke plot was fantastic, from Mr. Potato head, to the amputation, to the leg falling from the ceiling. :laugh:

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Maybe my hopes were too high for something amazing, but I felt episode 5 fell flat. I enjoyed the comedy, but based on the way this series has been through the first 4 episodes, my feeling is, if the comedy is the best part of the episode, it was a poor episode, and that's how I felt watching it. The plot too way too long to materialize and it wound up being not only a general plot that's been done to death (and, in fairness, that's the case with basically any plot today) but also a specific plot that's been done to death. There was no twist, no interesting take, not even an attempt to pull a moral quandary out of their ass. For the first time, the parodic elements were actually the best parts of the plot (particularly, Kelly's jealous girlfriend activities), which would have been enjoyable if the series had built itself to be a straight parody along the lines of, say, Get Smart, but Seth seems intent on making what many others here have correctly called a loving homage instead, and I think the first 4 episodes did very well in that context, even if they weren't perfect.

The Mr Potatohead gag was probably the first time I legitimately laughed out loud and I did enjoy Kelly's interactions with Alara (who, I will admit, I've grown a bit of a TV crush for :laugh:), so it wasn't all lost, but as I said, I really expected something exceptional with the names involved. In the end, I don't feel like I'm overstating it when I say that was the worst episode so far quite handily. I don't expect it to become a thing, but I'm really anxious to see next week's episode. Hopefully they can return to the levels of "If The Stars Should Appear" immediately, but I'll take anything to the levels of the prior 4 episodes. I'll be concerned if it's not.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Another really well done episode.

The whole "amputate the leg" practical joke made me laugh.

Charlize Theron looked amazing.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The Mr Potato Head joke had me in stitches. Issacs rebuttle was something I'd always secretly hoped for from Data, lol.

Great episode. I think this episode helped to flesh out Mercer a bit more.

I'm hoping for Issac and J Lee centered episodes soon.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This was a really well done episode.

Nice to see another ship in the fleet.

I loved the line when Grayson said there were families on the colony under attack and the helmsman said there are single people down there too! :laugh:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Great episode. The Avis car rental jokes were killing me. :laugh:

"Should we tell them their God is a twentieth-century car rental company?"
"Instead of Avis, the humans worship the god Hertz."
"We pray that Avis covers the loss of our vehicle."
"Avis. We try harder."

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Great episode. The Avis car rental jokes were killing me. :laugh:

"Should we tell them their God is a twentieth-century car rental company?"
"Instead of Avis, the humans worship the god Hertz."
"We pray that Avis covers the loss of our vehicle."
"Avis. We try harder."

The bolded one had me going the most.

This was definitely the funniest episode so far for me. Another week another good episode

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad