TV: The Orville - Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I can't argue against the Prime Directive with respect to Picard's handling of a similar situation. I concede the point. As Offkilter notes, the TNG crew violated the directive on occasion, but it was still their guiding principle. It was maybe more a case of me seeing a predictable outcome to this episode and then having my expectation upended. It didn't feel like a Star Trek ending to me. Regardless, it was a pretty weak episode.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I actually liked the episode and how they are trying not only bring in comedy but some real topics. Maybe because I am use to family guy and the Ted movies but it's not the type of episode on this topic I was expecting.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Caught up with the show finally. This show is amazing, it feels and sounds so much like Star Trek. I've read that McFarlane is a die hard trekkie, if so you can tell he wanted this be as spiritual of a successor to ST as possible.

Episode 3 in particular was there best yet. I'm not sure why some of you are saying it was bad, it was really good.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I thought that was a really strong episode with great effects and a great cameo. They dialed back the blatant attempts at jokes and the episode had a great feel and some nice emotional moments.

When they opened the sun roof, what a stunning shot.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This episode was great. I loved that the prime directive was not even a thought but the end was a great feel good moment. Also the jokes work for me. Loved the friends reference and the Kelly torture scenes were funny. I could do if youfait and the Doctor never talked to each other again but I can see that as a running gag.

This show is a winner.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
It's certainly getting amazing audience scores. Probably the biggest gap between critics and viewers for any show on RT. In big contrast to Discovery that's for sure. Critics aren't warming up to it yet, but maybe it'll be another case like Bojack where it goes from bad reviews to acclaim by the end. Right now it seems like critics are looking for excuses not to like it, from it's not funny enough, to it's too much like Star Trek TNG, to it's not enough like Star Trek TNG. At some point something's got to give.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Great episode, best of the series so far. That was pretty much a classic episode of Star Trek with a little more humor.

Reactions: Seedtype

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It's certainly getting amazing audience scores. Probably the biggest gap between critics and viewers for any show on RT. In big contrast to Discovery that's for sure. Critics aren't warming up to it yet, but maybe it'll be another case like Bojack where it goes from bad reviews to acclaim by the end. Right now it seems like critics are looking for excuses not to like it, from it's not funny enough, to it's too much like Star Trek TNG, to it's not enough like Star Trek TNG. At some point something's got to give.

If some critics don't like it, they probably won't cover it. If there is good audience buy in, I'm sure you'll see critics that do enjoy it cover it more.

I've only seen the pilot, and found it odd sue to the common comments of not being sure what it wants to be. But, it's stuck with me, and I find myself thinking of it more than I thought I would. I've set the PVR to record it and I'm going to see if my opinion on this changes with more viewings.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Hate the new set-up here.

Loved this episode. This is definitely my favorite new show this season. Someone also has a crush on the captain. I think the ex-wife also realizes it.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I liked the new episode. It was another Trek-like installment. It's reminiscent of TNG's "The Masterpiece Society". Masterpiece ranks among my least favorite TNG episodes (see "Troi love interest" plot). I prefer The Orville's take.

I,too, could do without the Norm MacDonald sick bay bit. It was a rehash of last week's gag, which wasn't funny to begin with. The rest of the humor was about where I like it for this kind of show -- not always aiming for the "laugh out loud" gag, but enough to keep levity among the crew while letting the drama unfold. Captain Mercer (who grew on me this episode) mucking up the poetic reference in the episode title, and Isaac explaining to the alien-of-the-week that being called a dick is a "compliment" made me smile.

The cameo near the end was neat, but not entirely unexpected considering the connection to MacFarlane.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Episode 4 was really good and struck the right balance with the humor.

Did anyone catch the music as the shuttle pod approached the giant ship as it was very similar to the Enterprise as it entered the cloud surrounding VGer in the first movie.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Episode 4 was really good and struck the right balance with the humor.

Did anyone catch the music as the shuttle pod approached the giant ship as it was very similar to the Enterprise as it entered the cloud surrounding VGer in the first movie.

Yup, I was wondering if it was even the same music. It was definitely close to it.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Just watched E4. Best episode yet pretty easily. Good bounce back after last week. Hope it continues on this trajectory

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Finally watched the latest episode and the show remains fun if imperfect. I remain entertained and that's all I can ask for with this kind of show.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Is it a given we're getting a Patrick Stewart guest appearance at some point, considering his working relationship with MacFarlane? It would be nice if he and Frakes appeared in the Frakes's directed episode. Then again, if Charlize Theron is in the next one, then I'd rather save a Stewart appearance and hope it would be more than a cameo.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Okay the fourth episode was really good. Holy crap do I hope this show can make it.

My random thoughts:

-The Orville leaving behind a communication buoy was a smart point that shouldn't be overlooked, though it is minor.
-I actually went, "Nooo!" when Alara got shot.
-The Kelly torture scene was pretty good I thought.
-I wasn't expecting Liam Neeson to appear. Um, could we have him be a Union Admiral in a episode at some point?
-Maybe the Orville should wait until the other ship arrives, just to make sure the bioship's society doesn't descend into chaos. Remember, they were a very religious society and their whole world viewpoint has been turned upside down. Someone is gonna freak out, even if the truth is undeniable.
-I'm starting to like the robot guy, he just hasn't really done anything yet. But he's definitely a potentially good parody of Data.

I don't think I would want every sci-fi show to be like the Orville, in the sense of self-contained episodes every week. I prefer shows to have a running story arc with good character development, but there is certainly a place for the Orville in my viewing schedule.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Is it a given we're getting a Patrick Stewart guest appearance at some point, considering his working relationship with MacFarlane? It would be nice if he and Frakes appeared in the Frakes's directed episode. Then again, if Charlize Theron is in the next one, then I'd rather save a Stewart appearance and hope it would be more than a cameo.

Definitely seems that way. If I had to venture a guess, the season finale is going to end on a cliffhanger, with Stewart starring as a villain threatening the entire Union. Bold prediction over.

And the most recent episode was legitimately great. More like that quality-wise, please.

Reactions: KirkOut

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Still liking the show -- a lot -- but getting tired of the Bortus story line.

Really? I think his story line is the best thing in the show at the moment.

Episode 4 was good. I enjoyed seeing Neelson, that was unexpected. Seeing Mercer stun the leader guy was a nice touch that you rarely see in shows.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Really? I think his story line is the best thing in the show at the moment.

Episode 4 was good. I enjoyed seeing Neelson, that was unexpected. Seeing Mercer stun the leader guy was a nice touch that you rarely see in shows.

It was a very Star Trek thing, though. Data on Sela in Unification Part 2, for example.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Definitely seems that way. If I had to venture a guess, the season finale is going to end on a cliffhanger, with Stewart starring as a villain threatening the entire Union. Bold prediction over.

And the most recent episode was legitimately great. More like that quality-wise, please.

I hope your prediction is accurate. I think Stewart would really embrace such a role and knock it out of the park.

It's only a matter of time before they introduce a recurring villain. That could really elevate the series (see Dukat, Scorpius, etc).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->