TV: The Orville - Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Fox just released the first trailer for the show, which stars MacFarlane and Adrianne Palicki as a divorced couple who are basically Kirk and Spock on a brand new spaceship with a suitably crazy crew.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-trailer-for-seth-macfarlanes-star-trek-spoof-1795237662

67tq34.jpg

Debuts Sunday, September 10 on Fox.

Trailer #2.

Last edited:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Probably not a very popular stance, but I still don't mind MacFarlane's humor, and I thought the trailer looked pretty funny. I'm drunk, though. But I can also be drunk whenever I watch that show in the future, so...

Norm MacDonald as that blob-like creature is a nice bonus. Hard to imagine that being an overly regular character, though. :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
McFarlane is very polarizing to me, he makes some really good stuff and some terrible stuff. But this looks pretty good from that trailer.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Macfarlane has to be one of the most talented guys in Hollywood, certainly much more so than guys like Matt Groening...

But he is also one of the laziest... you just get the feeling he is just waiting for Family Guy and American Dad to end

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Seems like it might have some potential but with FOX's history of canning shows fast it might not make it long.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Macfarlane has to be one of the most talented guys in Hollywood, certainly much more so than guys like Matt Groening...

But he is also one of the laziest... you just get the feeling he is just waiting for Family Guy and American Dad to end

I think he basically said as much about Family Guy at least. Said he just does the voices and doesn't care if it gets cancelled or not.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm a huge Star Trek fan, and will watch this, but I didn't find that trailer funny at all. Looks really bad.

Pretty cool that they have a DS9 actress on the show.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Not a huge fan of the genre, but I don't mind MacFarlane's comedy. His western movie with Charlize Theron was not terrible. I'll give it a watch.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Looks funny although you never know with these comedy shows. It'll either be off the air in three weeks, or turn into something spectacular.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Lol, seriously? In addition to the two shows you mentioned he just wrote and directed three movies in a three-year span and has now created this show. I get that his humor can be hit and miss but the guy's a workaholic.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

He's been wanting Family Guy to end for years, but Fox keeps showing up at his house with Brinks trucks.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
McFarlane is very polarizing to me, he makes some really good stuff and some terrible stuff. But this looks pretty good from that trailer.

This.

I love the original family guy and then the first few seasons after it's return but then it just got pretty bad. American Dad is hit or miss with me too.

I thought Ted 1 was hilarious, Ted 2 was bad, save for a few jokes and that Western Movie with Charlize Theron was just awful.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Lol, seriously? In addition to the two shows you mentioned he just wrote and directed three movies in a three-year span and has now created this show. I get that his humor can be hit and miss but the guy's a workaholic.

I meant lazy in his comedy.. just going by Family Guy anyways which can still put out an amazing episode here and there (and is still good for a laugh or two an episode for me) but he could just do so much more.

Ted to me was great, the sequel was eh

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I meant lazy in his comedy.. just going by Family Guy anyways which can still put out an amazing episode here and there (and is still good for a laugh or two an episode for me) but he could just do so much more.

Ted to me was great, the sequel was eh

Ahh ok, that's a fair point.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I actually like the concept of the show.

But some of the banter is lame. It'll probably take a season or two for the cast and the concept to really gel... will Fox give them the chance?

(Also, I can't take Seth MacFarlane seriously, something about him is just too goofy for on-screen stuff)

Edit: The captain should be played by an Leslie Nielsen-like actor. Then the banter stuff can probably work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->