The Official PROSPECT BRAG Thread

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I guess I'll just have to wait for Sean G to praise Dawes independently then. :P

LOL...

Dawes has looked good, especially since the first of the year (just after his most recent promotion from the AHL). Saw him once up close in October this season when he was still with Hartford and he was clearly the most skilled player on the ice (well... aside from D Brassard. It was a HFD-Syracuse game).... great hands. Hasnt really had a permanent line due to Renney's lineup shuffling, but no matter who he's played with (he's been with Dubinsky-Prucha at times and even with Gomez-Shanny) he's produced.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
LOL...

Dawes has looked good, especially since the first of the year (just after his most recent promotion from the AHL). Saw him once up close in October this season when he was still with Hartford and he was clearly the most skilled player on the ice (well... aside from D Brassard. It was a HFD-Syracuse game).... great hands. Hasnt really had a permanent line due to Renney's lineup shuffling, but no matter who he's played with (he's been with Dubinsky-Prucha at times and even with Gomez-Shanny) he's produced.

That's what it seems like to me, that since his last call-up he's been playing quite well. Dawes has great hands and a good quick shot, but I've always thought it was his offensive awareness that would make him a good NHL player. A lot of guys his size struggle because their games are more focussed on having the puck on their stick. Although Dawes is good with the puck on his stick, whenever I've seen him he also seems to know what to do without it, at least offensively. Ray Whitney's kind of a similar player like that.

It'll be interesting to see if he finds some chemistry with somebody. I'd think he'd be a fit with Gomez considering Gomez's playmaking ability and how much he skates with the puck.

Oh, and thanks for throwing me a bone. :P

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
That's what it seems like to me, that since his last call-up he's been playing quite well. Dawes has great hands and a good quick shot, but I've always thought it was his offensive awareness that would make him a good NHL player. A lot of guys his size struggle because their games are more focussed on having the puck on their stick. Although Dawes is good with the puck on his stick, whenever I've seen him he also seems to know what to do without it, at least offensively. Ray Whitney's kind of a similar player like that.

It'll be interesting to see if he finds some chemistry with somebody. I'd think he'd be a fit with Gomez considering Gomez's playmaking ability and how much he skates with the puck.

Oh, and thanks for throwing me a bone. :P

He's a good fit with Gomez... might be able to get some Gomez/Gionta type chemistry down the road if he's slotted with Gomez long enough to build some chemistry like that.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
He's a good fit with Gomez... might be able to get some Gomez/Gionta type chemistry down the road if he's slotted with Gomez long enough to build some chemistry like that.

True on Gionta/Gomez. Not sure how I didn't think of that. :P

Also, while I have your attention, is Callahan playing better now?

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002

I've seen Dawes play quite a bit this season, and it's seemed to me that he's ended up on the scoresheet more often for what he's done without the puck than what he does with the puck. Although I think he has a long way to go toward becoming a regular NHL player, he's certainly shown a knack for finding open ice.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
I've seen Dawes play quite a bit this season, and it's seemed to me that he's ended up on the scoresheet more often for what he's done without the puck than what he does with the puck. Although I think he has a long way to go toward becoming a regular NHL player, he's certainly shown a knack for finding open ice.

I don't think he has a long way to go before he's a regular NHL player (he pretty much is now), but I do agree that he's ended up on the scoresheet more for what he does without the puck than with. We'll see what happens with him now that Hossa's playing again (in the AHL on conditioning).

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
True on Gionta/Gomez. Not sure how I didn't think of that. :P

Also, while I have your attention, is Callahan playing better now?

Yeah, Cally has been better as of late. Still not where he was at the tail end of last season going into the playoffs, but he's been better. I didn't get a chance to watch the Rangers/San Jose game last weekend (other than the last minute when Cally had an ENG), but it sounds like he did a lot of good things on both ends of the ice.

Now if only Prucha would turn things around... :shakehead

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Thanks Nick

With the St. Louis Blues 5th round pick in the 2007 draft the Hawks drafted Paul Postma. At the time Postma was a much talked about defenseman but his upside really wasn't known and he fell in the draft to the later rounds. Well this season he has brokenout in juniors and has become a force offensively. He’s 16th among WHL defensemen in scoring, with 39 points in 64 games.

Postma has good size at 6’3, is a good skater and of course can score. With the combination of these qualities, the sky’s the limit for him. Postma will remain in junior in 2008-09.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
With the St. Louis Blues 5th round pick in the 2007 draft the Hawks drafted Paul Postma. At the time Postma was a much talked about defenseman but his upside really wasn't known and he fell in the draft to the later rounds. Well this season he has brokenout in juniors and has become a force offensively. He’s 16th among WHL defensemen in scoring, with 39 points in 64 games.

Postma has good size at 6’3, is a good skater and of course can score. With the combination of these qualities, the sky’s the limit for him. Postma will remain in junior in 2008-09.

You're welcome Dry - glad it worked out. I probably would have drafted some dud, so good to see you make the pick count!

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Peter Regin has 30 points in 54 games. There's one gameday left in the regular season and Regin needs 1 point to make the Mountain Dew Endorsement. Timrå is playing Luleå tomorrow, so we'll soon know if he's the 4th Avalanche prospect to make the Mountain Dew Endorsement.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Peter Regin has 30 points in 54 games. There's one gameday left in the regular season and Regin needs 1 point to make the Mountain Dew Endorsement. Timrå is playing Luleå tomorrow, so we'll soon know if he's the 4th Avalanche prospect to make the Mountain Dew Endorsement.

Peter Regin had an assist on Timrå's first goal and he became the 4th Colorado prospect to make the Mountain Dew this year. The other 3 are Jori Lehterä, Jonas Enlund and Sergei Shirokov..

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Patric Hörnqvist finished the season with 30 points for Djurgården in the SEL...No extra cash for Tampa Bay :(

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Patric Hörnqvist finished the season with 30 points for Djurgården in the SEL...No extra cash for Tampa Bay :(

I could be wrong, but I think 30 points gets you the endorsement.... I know it says "more than" in the Mountain Dew description, but from what I remember, we decided that was just an issue with terminology and that it should be "more than or equal to."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Atleast in earlier years only prospects at the start of the season counted towards the Mountain Dew, so prospects traded for during the season didn't count towards the Mountain Dew.

I've heard that as well.

I assume it's to avoid prospects being marketed at our trade deadline as being essentially 1 million dollars in cash.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Welcome to pro hockey Ben Bishop! The University of Maine Black Bear signed with the St Louis (NHL) Blues and will finish the season with Peoria. The 6'7'' goalie played behind a poor team this year, but still put up a .920 save percentage.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
And Tom Fritsche scored his first professional goal for the Lake Erie Monsters tonite in just his 2nd game. Best of luck to a kid who has had tons of medical problems to overcome.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
AHL rookie Julian Talbot was signed to an NHL entry contract by the St. Louis Blues today.

The Panthers signed Talbot at the beginning of the season when he was on an AHL deal after spending last season in the ECHL. Talbot is 5th in AHL rookie scoring and 3rd in rookie goals with the Peoria Rivermen. This after starring for the OHL's Ottawa 67's.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
J.T Wyman signs with the Habs

Wyman was selected in the fourth round of the 2004 draft by Montreal. He has spent the past four years at the University of Dartmouth; notching a career-high 15 goals and 30 points as a senior this season. He will be reassigned to the minors on Thursday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad