The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Whoa, Commodore is torching the (decade ago) team right now.

Glad I missed this. Commodore was super average and thought too much of himself for his relevant contributions.
Would be nice if they could get some star power on the radio, extend the Throwback Thursday to more teams and get a Lemieux, Selanne, etc. Even if local, get Alfie, Spezza, Saprykin, Geks, Hossa...hell, get Hoffman or Karlsson on there.
Big names big ratings!

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Glad I missed this. Commodore was super average and thought too much of himself for his relevant contributions.
Would be nice if they could get some star power on the radio, extend the Throwback Thursday to more teams and get a Lemieux, Selanne, etc. Even if local, get Alfie, Spezza, Saprykin, Geks, Hossa...hell, get Hoffman or Karlsson on there.
Big names big ratings!

Get big names like Saprykin. Enough said.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I like the throwback Thursday idea of getting former Sens to come on, but I’d rather hear from guys who were here longer than Commodorre. That said, I realize it’s not easy to connect with a lot of former nhl players.

I guess the appeal of a guy like Commy is that he’s an entertaining guy, but he’s hardly remembered for his play in his short time here.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I like the throwback Thursday idea of getting former Sens to come on, but I’d rather hear from guys who were here longer than Commodorre. That said, I realize it’s not easy to connect with a lot of former nhl players.

I guess the appeal of a guy like Commy is that he’s an entertaining guy, but he’s hardly remembered for his play in his short time here.

I remember his play ... lots of turnovers!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I remember his play ... lots of turnovers!

Ever since he had that huge hair as a rookie playoff callup in Calgary - and Sutter never gave him a sniff again, I’ve never been a fan.

I agree with what he said about his time in Ottawa that it was a gong show, I didn’t like with how he spoke of Murray, felt like he was speaking I’ll of Bryan Murray in his money and coaching comments, kinda classless. Call it open if you want, I hope I don’t ever hear my kids ever treating someone like that. Over a beer sure, on the radio, no. Especially if they were paid a million dollars by them. Murray was far from perfect, but why leave this unflattering impression of Murray unless it’s to cover up you’re own horrid play and self admitted lack of interest in the NHL hockey game.

Commodore got more out of the NHL then deserved, his interviews should not air his dirty laundry, he should just be thankful, greatfull and polite.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I'm on the other side. I thought that commodore interview was awesome. We need more candor in this city. Don't think he was burying anybody but he spoke the truth, that team in 2008-09 was lost and his answers probably explained a lot. And no I don't think it tarnishes anything murray did, everyone knows the good and bad of murray.

I agree with this. It was quite refreshing to hear and didn't think he crossed any line. He was honest about the 2008-2009 team and his situation and didn't hold back.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm on the other side. I thought that commodore interview was awesome. We need more candor in this city. Don't think he was burying anybody but he spoke the truth, that team in 2008-09 was lost and his answers probably explained a lot. And no I don't think it tarnishes anything murray did, everyone knows the good and bad of murray.
It was great. It brought some insight to the locker room and the demeanor of the team. He told it like it is which is refreshing and none of that cliche stuff

Reactions: Stylizer1

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

What did Commie say?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What did Commodore say?
Pretty much said there was no structure during the 08-09 season. No defensive system. Stated that Murray didn't want to practice defending because he didn't want anyone injured.

Said that Murray went to the media saying that Commodore asked for too much money.
Essentially the dialogue was;

Murray: Do you want to come back to Ottawa
Commodore: Yea interested
Murray: What do you think you're worth
Commodore: I don't know, get a coach and call me but I am interested in coming back
Murray to the media: Commodore asked for too much money

Said Heatley seemed like he genuinely liked Ottawa and was into it while he was there.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It was great. It brought some insight to the locker room and the demeanor of the team. He told it like it is which is refreshing and none of that cliche stuff

Eh, it's Mike Commodore. His version of "telling it like it is" is accurate to a point, but it still came off with the "I'm going to get mine" attitude that Commodore has.

Mike Commodore is all about Mike Commodore. A lot of what he was saying yesterday was interesting and eye opening about the Sens team he was parachuted into, and I don't challenge anything he said as I'm sure it was probably at least 80% authentic of not more, but I wasn't surprised at all at the fact that most of the narrative still was about him - "my contract was coming up", "I didn't want to be here", "I asked Murray why he traded for me", "I, I, I"...

It's always been about Mike first, and the team 2nd. It's why he was buried on the team within weeks of getting here, and why we didn't even bother to offer him a contract after.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Just because he wasn't effective on the ice as some other players were during that year, doesn't make his experience and opinions on the situation insignificant as others. Good interview, more like that please.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Eh, it's Mike Commodore. His version of "telling it like it is" is accurate to a point, but it still came off with the "I'm going to get mine" attitude that Commodore has.

Mike Commodore is all about Mike Commodore. A lot of what he was saying yesterday was interesting and eye opening about the Sens team he was parachuted into, and I don't challenge anything he said as I'm sure it was probably at least 80% authentic of not more, but I wasn't surprised at all at the fact that most of the narrative still was about him - "my contract was coming up", "I didn't want to be here", "I asked Murray why he traded for me", "I, I, I"...

It's always been about Mike first, and the team 2nd. It's why he was buried on the team within weeks of getting here, and why we didn't even bother to offer him a contract after.
Well the premise of the interview was about HIS experience in Ottawa which is why it was mostly geared towards himself. I believe most of what he said. No problems with how he presented his opinions. Most people interviewed will give their version of a story anyways. It's nice to see differing sides.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well the premise of the interview was about HIS experience in Ottawa which is why it was mostly geared towards himself. I believe most of what he said. No problems with how he presented his opinions. Most people interviewed will give their version of a story anyways. It's nice to see differing sides.

Except that Murray can't tell us his side of the story.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I agree with this. It was quite refreshing to hear and didn't think he crossed any line. He was honest about the 2008-2009 team and his situation and didn't hold back.

Ya, isn't honesty what we all seek from hockey player interviews? Otherwise it's just another pointless go-through-the-motions batch of responses. If that's how Mike truly felt when he was here, then that's the way it is.

Mike's interview gave an interesting perspective of how an outsider perceived the franchise when they arrived. I have no problem with having a guy like him on.

In any case, here is the interview.. there are some nasty bits of shade thrown:

The Boys get #InOne with Mike Commodore

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Pretty much said there was no structure during the 08-09 season. No defensive system. Stated that Murray didn't want to practice defending because he didn't want anyone injured.

Said that Murray went to the media saying that Commodore asked for too much money.
Essentially the dialogue was;

Murray: Do you want to come back to Ottawa
Commodore: Yea interested
Murray: What do you think you're worth
Commodore: I don't know, get a coach and call me but I am interested in coming back
Murray to the media: Commodore asked for too much money

Said Heatley seemed like he genuinely liked Ottawa and was into it while he was there.
This is why I always thought Heatley was the first domino to fall in the whole slow rebuild thing. Melnyk didn't want to pay him that much and Murray probably thought he didn't fit the team he wanted to build but was stuck giving him that contract a la Ryan. Other than being a great scorer he wasn't really a legacy player here and was expendable. Clouston (a.k.a Murray's puppet) wasn't trying to get the most out of him, just trying to frustrate him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Do I really need to explain it to you?

OK, when telling his side of the story, he can say anything, and if it's a "he said vs I said" point .......... it's kinda convenient if the "he" can't respond.
Murray had a radio station at his disposal for many, many years. The fact that Mike gave his opinion doesn't need a rebuttal from Murray.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Except that Murray can't tell us his side of the story.

There is nothing to defend really, Commodore was telling the story from his point of view, nothing wrong with that. Pretty sure that even Murray wasn't around, its not something he would even comment on. Story seemed completely believable.

I would much rather hear this stuff than the weekly Pierre Lebrun segments where he basically just plugs his aticle from the Athletic that was already discussed at length throughout the day on the station, or Darren Dreger's preview of Insider Trading where he talks about nothing but teases bits for his TV segment.

Best part of the interview was that it extended into multiple segments and the Mendes didn't feel the need to cut the interview short to go to commercial. That never happens on the station.

I am also rarely happy with what the coverage the station provides, but honestly, the one hour block with SensChirp this week, and the TBT interviews with the former players have been some of the best radio the station has ever produced. Very solid, professional sports radio. Now if only the other hosts would follow suit....

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It was a great interview. What he said about Murray and talking contracts was very believable. Murray used the media so he never looked bad.

Funniest part is when he said the Sens put him up in the Holiday in and gave him 10 year old Colorado Avalanche with a burnt out headlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->