The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I honestly can't wait for the character assassination from garbage 'reporters' like Versage, Dean Brown and that other jackass that's on the sens payroll, hes like a shorter version of Dean Brown, his name escapes me, just his opinions on everything.

Can't wait to hear how Karlsson was a bad captain, leadership issues, didn't buy into the system, asked for too much money, wasn't committed defensively, coach killer etc.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
I was one of the callers who made it on the drive today. Gotta give both Mendes and Versage props for ditching their entire program to open up the lines and let the fans vent their opinions right up until the pre-game show. You clearly understand what your listeners wanted today.

Reactions: ianmendes

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This EK brainstorming is painful to listen to. EK said he wants to stay, he wants to lead the team. Dorion said last summer he’d never trade him, Dorion says he wants to sign EK - just call it what it is, the owner is to cheap to sign EK like he was to cheap to sign Alfie, Spezza, Turris, Chara.

Lisa Wallace is the only person willing to call out Melnyck, and no one touches it.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
This EK brainstorming is painful to listen to. EK said he wants to stay, he wants to lead the team. Dorion said last summer he’d never trade him, Dorion says he wants to sign EK - just call it what it is, the owner is to cheap to sign EK like he was to cheap to sign Alfie, Spezza, Turris, Chara.

Lisa Wallace is the only person willing to call out Melnyck, and no one touches it.
Agree overally, but you lose some credibility for including Chara on the list. Don't let the narrative get in the way of the facts/events of real life.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but IMO, if you read between the lines, Mendes was going as far as he could while towing the TSN 1200 line when he kept repeating and emphasizing "listen to the fans" who most acknowledge have been slagging Melnyk.

Plausible deniability while suggesting the fans are right. Not sure we can expect more than that from people whose business depends on access to the sens.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I honestly can't wait for the character assassination from garbage 'reporters' like Versage, Dean Brown and that other jackass that's on the sens payroll, hes like a shorter version of Dean Brown, his name escapes me, just his opinions on everything.

Can't wait to hear how Karlsson was a bad captain, leadership issues, didn't buy into the system, asked for too much money, wasn't committed defensively, coach killer etc.

Gord Wilson?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So if Dreger reported the Anselmi firing, Kypreos reported the EK rumour, Dreger broke the Turris trade before it happened, Bob followed up with his 6 team - what do the Sun, Citizen, La Presse reporters do? Tell us the lineup cards and practice lines?

They are with the team everyday and they aren’t picking up on these rumours? And not final facts, just rumours. They don’t notice we don’t have a President, they didn’t hear about the Turris rumours, they don’t know EK is being shopped?

Are they just fans reporting back to fans and leave the big boy reporting to Toronto?

Reactions: Wondercarrot

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The Drive today was great.

I agree, but disagree at the same time. Ian Mendes did everything in his power to make the show about the fans, but Lee Versage did everything in his power to make the show about Lee Versage. There were a couple of segments on my drive home where they were only able to take one caller because Versage just rambled on about nothing.

The best example of Versage being an absolute tool was when someone called in and politely criticized ownership (guy from Saskatchewan I think) and Versage tried to spin it around to "well, I know that when my boss is in town, I work so much harder", "so if Melnyk is here in town, that's a good thing". It was a horrible opinion piece on a show that was attempting to give the fans a voice. Fans don't have a voice when some bozo radio host decides to cut down everything they say by giving an opinion of his that doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I agree, but disagree at the same time. Ian Mendes did everything in his power to make the show about the fans, but Lee Versage did everything in his power to make the show about Lee Versage. There were a couple of segments on my drive home where they were only able to take one caller because Versage just rambled on about nothing.

The best example of Versage being an absolute tool was when someone called in and politely criticized ownership (guy from Saskatchewan I think) and Versage tried to spin it around to "well, I know that when my boss is in town, I work so much harder", "so if Melnyk is here in town, that's a good thing". It was a horrible opinion piece on a show that was attempting to give the fans a voice. Fans don't have a voice when some bozo radio host decides to cut down everything they say by giving an opinion of his that doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.
Seriously, stop with all the crying over Lee Versage. Overall they were having good conversations back and forth. People work a lot different when the boss is around so what. There is truth to that. Why do you have to hang on every single thing that is said? Do you over analyze everything you come in contact with? At the end of the day it's just a sports talk show man.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Versage is awful. There's just no way around it. I do however find it funny and entertaining how everyone on TSN tease him and get him going. Its obvious his peers don't respect him and like to play on his insecurities.

How is that someone with so few social skills and an annoying nasally voice gets a job on talk radio? Who makes that decision? Whoever runs that station must be horribly incompetent.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

Oh man, I just came on to gripe about this. I was driving home from work, and for the first time ever just screamed "JUST SHUT THE F*CK UP" at my radio. It was literally unbearable. And Mendes also seemed to get irritated saying how the staff there is stretched so thin. Mendes clearly knows more than he can say.

Reactions: ianmendes

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016

Man, I completely agree. I came into this thread to comment on that exact call.

Man, I get that Lee is a big wrestling fan and tries to play up the heel role to make good radio. But, my god, sometimes he just needs to park it for a second. He is the most consistent progenitor of bad takes on this radio station, and it's not even close. He has zero empathy for this fan base. How you can not only condone but actually endorse any godawful move Melnyk makes at this point is beyond me. It's just astounding how tone deaf he is.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I really wish Versage could calm down when trying to make a point. He’s not quite yelling, but it’s not far off. He gets so worked up during any conversation.

Lee, take it down a notch. It’s not pleasant to listen to.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I didn't know I was so off. I can't understand why people want to kill enthusiasm. I love it when Ian makes fun of Lee because they're both sports nerds.

I also love it when Lee goes off because it's mostly funny. I would rather here a good debate than a 4 hour interview.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Props to the Drive for opening up the phone lines for most of the show yesterday. Nice to see they care what the fans think and give them an opportunity to vent. Can’t say I always thought people on that station care what the fans thought. Not naming names, but I think they call the games for the team on that station.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Man, I completely agree. I came into this thread to comment on that exact call.

Man, I get that Lee is a big wrestling fan and tries to play up the heel role to make good radio. But, my god, sometimes he just needs to park it for a second. He is the most consistent progenitor of bad takes on this radio station, and it's not even close. He has zero empathy for this fan base. How you can not only condone but actually endorse any godawful move Melnyk makes at this point is beyond me. It's just astounding how tone deaf he is.

Steve Warne is equally as bad, just check out his most recent tweets. I understand that these guys aren't allowed to bash ownership, but atlkeast stop defending ownership. Just ignore the topic like they have been doing for years.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

It's as if Lee (and a few posters here) have chosen to see each stupid decision or action taken in isolation so they can justify each one without considering the entire oeuvre of complete incompetence.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Steve Warne is equally as bad, just check out his most recent tweets. I understand that these guys aren't allowed to bash ownership, but atlkeast stop defending ownership. Just ignore the topic like they have been doing for years.
He's a f***ing clown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->