The Official Optimism Repository

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
What this thread is for: Posts expressing or relating items that contribute to the admittedly foolish hope that there will still be a shortened 2004-2005 NHL season.

Who is welcome to contribute to this thread: Anyone foolish enough to still harbor anything of the above-mentioned hope. (If you find yourself thinking that this thread should be called "the official optimism suppository," there are plenty of other threads in which you may freely express your despair.)

Why this thread exists: Because apparently everyone's favorite blogger is not the only one still foolish enough to harbor the above-mentioned hope. Call it the "leper colony" of the HF boards if you like, but it seems a good idea to convene a place where optimists can freely share their optimism with each other, without fear of reprisal at every turn from those in the grips of despair for attempting to infect them with "false hope."

How this thread may best serve the community: Would it be possible to get it stickied? Granted, that in itself may constitute an assault on the sensibilities of many who might every once in a while catch a glimpse of the word "optimism" on this board in a stickied thread title; but they need only read this far in the thread once to realize what's afoot, and thereafter they may freely laugh and/or cry it off as so much nonsense.

When this thread will have outlasted its usefulness: Who knows. Probably sometime this summer, when the last of the "hoping against hope" types finally concedes to him or herself that there absolutely will not be anything of a 2004-2005 NHL season. But until then ...

What's the latest???

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
Goodenow is trying to get Max van Sidow to negotiate for the NHLPA from the dead.

'I could crush your head like a nut....but I wont....cause I neeeeed you!'
(Strange Brew)

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Both sides are playing hardball but guess what? Believe it or not, the game's not over yet. I'd say it's the seventh inning stretch.

Stay tuned for the top of the eighth....

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Sam I Am said:
Both sides are playing hardball but guess what? Believe it or not, the game's not over yet. I'd say it's the seventh inning stretch.

Stay tuned for the top of the eighth....

You know, funny you'd use a baseball metaphor because this whole ordeal is like a baseball game to me...long, drawn out, and I couldn't care less about it anymore.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
The only reason for optimism is if the players put quiet feelers out to Bettman to see if the offer's still on the table if the union votes for it. If it is, they'd still have to depose Goodenow and hold their vote and get it all done by probably mid-next week at the absolute latest. Even if they did that, who would do the i dotting and t crossing for the players?

It's hopeless.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
ChiHawks468 said:
3 (now 4 replies) in over 2 hours. I guess the optimism is pretty much gone.

I think there is still some out there.. I for one will always have at least a slight(and I mean SLIGHT) hope until it is physically impossible to even have sham season..

But there is nothing new to go on really.. all the rumors are out there...

If something is happening, the Union is going to want to keep it as low-key as possible, same for the NHL.... No sense in getting everyone fired up again about nothing if it washes out..

The PA has to find out what the real support for this is.. then if it is strong, make a move... Deciding on who to send to talk to Bettman is really the problem... Ottawa 1200 reported that Colorado was where some of the biggest rumors were coming...Now, what the rumors were, only god knows.. But... think about it.. 2 of the PA's Exc. Board is there in Boughner and Dampy.... if one of, or if not both, side with the splinter PA movement they might be in the position to lead.. Add to that you have Sakic, Blake, and Adam Foote in town, there is alot of well respected hockey powere there...and I would say all 3 want hockey ASAP.. But thats just speculation on my part.. 100%

If.. and its a big IF something is happening.. I would say by Friday night we will know where the Union sits on a potential saving of the season..

More likely, this splintering in the Union will result in the PA trying to broker a deal for next year sooner, rather than later.. making sure Bob does not have a chance to do this again..

:teach:

Last edited:

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
If there isn't anything by the weekend, I think that there is officially no hope. Personally I have none now, but I wouldn't be all THAT surprised if the players finally clued into reality.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
The real consequence of this is that maybe a deal can be reached before the summer is out. I think it is too late for this season but they now have time to iron out a deal with everything covered. However, if the union is somewhat divided...even 30% want a deal now and it is know to the NHL this sets up an interesting situation if the NHL goes to impasse cause more players or even high profile players may break from the entire group and if this happens it would be better in ALL of the players best interest to try and get a better deal as soon as possible.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Ottawa 1200 reported that Colorado was where some of the biggest rumors were coming...

Can you offer any more detail on what was said with respect to Colorado? Did they get any more specific at all? And do you recall when this was talked about? Thanks.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
There IS something going on. What it is or how powerful it is is a huge?
I think it would be good to try and save next season. this year is obviously toast

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
no.. lol..

Not to sound like I am making it up..

But several times in the course of the 11-2 AM PST webcast they mentioned that rumors of player unreast were coming out of "Phoenix, Detriot, Colorado, Chicago, and Philly" plus the Panger rant..

Phoenix stuff everyone knows about..I guess Shane Doan is making phonecalls.

Detroit... Steve Y's comments.

Chicago.. Apparently Eric Daze is pissed about it..

Philly.. JR and the "lowest paid goalie in the league"

Colorado.... nothing. they said nothing about the rumor..

Thats why I kept listening late into the morning... to see if they clarified that at all..

Like I said.. all I got was Ottawa 1200's rumor that there wer rumors of rumblings from Colorado..

:lol

Kukla

Mar 16, 2003
motown
www.kuklaskorner.com
Also, Shanahan said he could not come on a radio station in Detroit because sensitive negotiations were going on.
Pang an Yzerman are best friends and Steve has been feeding Panger with some info.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The problem is that the player unrest is somewhat split, and too spread out. For every player who would sign the $42 million cap, there is likely another who is angry about a cap being offered at all. The entire rank and file is likely still angry over the fact that opposition to a cap was supposed to be the bedrock of their strategy, but was thrown out the window at the last minute. As Matthew Barnaby said, they could have done a deal last summer if they had been willing to offer up a cap. I'm paraphrasing, but Barnaby said it was a bit of a kick in the shorts to go all this time only to find out that your bluff had been called.

All in all, I think the 'PA membership is in a shambles, and it can't get sorted out in the 24-48 hours that will be needed to save a mini-season. I will say this, however -- in doing what they thought he would never have the balls to do (cancel the season) it is clear that Bettman has thrown the 'PA into complete turmoil, and he now has them exactly where he wants them.

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Alright, I'll bite too.

The Fan590 just said that, I know, WXYT is saying that Brendan Shanahan refused to come on for an interview because he thought it might jeopardize talks that were going on right now.

For whatever it's worth. A confirmation would be good ahead of the "source/link" police.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I am actually starting to believe that Gary wanted to save the season at the end..

he had a deal that he thought would work.. the 42.5 was a good deal for the NHL.. really..

It bridged the gab between the NHL elite and smaller markets by 20-30 million depending on who you talk to....... while the big markets would still outspend the smaller ones.. it would not be by the same large margin..

Which, is what I wanted... I wanted Colorado to be able to spend a bit more than Florida...but not have 2-3 times their payroll..

All it takes is half the Union voting to accept the owners last offer.... which I think they would..and I also believe that its 75-25 odds FOR Bettman accepting that and a season starting... BUT.. the holdup will be from the ability of the Union Splinter group to gather behind a central leader.. be it Saskin.. or a player like Steve Y.... someone is going to need to step out and risk getting his balls chopped of by the PA to organize this..and even if that happens... getting the vote to the floor is next to impossible..

:cry:

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
What better posturing is there than actually cancelling the season. Way better than merely talking about it or threatening it. The media goes berserk, it makes headlines everywhere.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.: it's not over. We're finally down to the short strokes. Stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad