The official off-season thread

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think Ladd's best role on the team would be similar to what Chris Kunitz's role last year for the Pens and this year for the Lightning is. A bottom six forward who is dependable defensively, can still play physical if you don't overtax him, can chip in with 10 or so goals, and who can be slotted in the top six in emergency moments.

Ladd's biggest issue is his cap hit. So far, it hasn't been prohibitive. But, him making about half what he does would probably make it easier to swallow him being in a smaller role.
But he needs to do the bolded, that's where my issue is with him because I actually like him (well relative to most here) because when he's engaged he's actually an asset on the ice. But he floats too much. I guess the injuries just shot him dead but maybe with 10-12 minutes he could throw a few hits? Idk, I love him when he's mad.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think Ladd's best role on the team would be similar to what Chris Kunitz's role last year for the Pens and this year for the Lightning is. A bottom six forward who is dependable defensively, can still play physical if you don't overtax him, can chip in with 10 or so goals, and who can be slotted in the top six in emergency moments.

Ladd's biggest issue is his cap hit. So far, it hasn't been prohibitive. But, him making about half what he does would probably make it easier to swallow him being in a smaller role.

Agreed. At 2.5 mil. in a bottom 6 role I like Ladd.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

I think that is definitely how he would be best utilized at this point in his career. It is also why I would welcome back Kulemin on a cheap, one-year contract. Between Ladd, Kulemin, Cizikas and Clutter (because they aren't going anywhere based on their current production vs. contacts) and say Johnston, that is 5/6 of a decent bottom six.

From there I think you move Nelson, perhaps in a package deal, for a responsible, checking 3C. Unless of course they want to try Bailey at center, if say Bellows or Ho-Sang force their way into the top six. I would prefer to keep Beauvillier in the top six.

But it also hinges on if a competent defensive coach and system are brought in. Otherwise we can keep talking about players and personnel changes until the cows come home but nothing will materially change.

Reactions: dood

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Maybe in 2020 we give our #1 pick to Seattle to take Andrew Ladd.

And maybe we can also trade Pulock, on a team-friendly deal, for more draft picks then opt not to replace him with a viable player at the same time. Really do it up Snow-job style!

(Just to be clear, I actually like the trade return for Hamonic, I just didn't like relying on Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield and Toews, then Aho, to fill out 3-4 spots on the defensive depth chart.)

Reactions: SteveH124

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Maybe in 2020 we give our #1 pick to Seattle to take Andrew Ladd.
Maybe with both the league and union able to opt out of the CBA in 2019, we get another round of amnesty buyouts and are finally rid of Ladd.

Not in favor of pissing away 1st rounders to correct Snow's mistakes.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Maybe with both the league and union able to opt out of the CBA in 2019, we get another round of amnesty buyouts and are finally rid of Ladd.

Not in favor of pissing away 1st rounders to correct Snow's mistakes.

I agree. And this, among other things, is what infuriates me about snow. He's a mistake corrector, not a shrewd manager.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
And maybe we can also trade Pulock, on a team-friendly deal, for more draft picks then opt not to replace him with a viable player at the same time. Really do it up Snow-job style!

(Just to be clear, I actually like the trade return for Hamonic, I just didn't like relying on Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield and Toews, then Aho, to fill out 3-4 spots on the defensive depth chart.)

SNOWJOB SNOWJOB! CHOO CHOO

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Actually, I'd watch real closely to see if there's a deal to be had with EDM regarding Leddy.

I wouldn't suggest that without fully assuming the Snow-Chiarelli-steal would strike again...

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Garth Snow speaking for the organization on the passing of Torrey is all you need to know to show you that he is staying
If they hire a new GM and Snow gets moved upstairs, making this kind of statement is exactly the kind of thing that he'd be doing to "earn" his salary.

And the beauty is that he doesn't even have to leave the house to do that kind of thing. He can just sit around in sweats watching TV and eating hunks of cheese like they're an apple.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
If they hire a new GM and Snow gets moved upstairs, making this kind of statement is exactly the kind of thing that he'd be doing to "earn" his salary.

And the beauty is that he doesn't even have to leave the house to do that kind of thing. He can just sit around in sweats watching TV and eating hunks of cheese like they're an apple.

So what he was doing right before the press conference at the end of the season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad