The official off-season thread

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
We should trade Michael Dal Colle for David Pastrnak. Boston should do it because Dal Colle was chosen 5th overall and no one was even thinking about Pastrnak. So, we're actually doing them a favor... especially since they'll eventually have to pay him.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
We should trade Michael Dal Colle for David Pastrnak. Boston should do it because Dal Colle was chosen 5th overall and no one was even thinking about Pastrnak. So, we're actually doing them a favor... especially since they'll eventually have to pay him.

Oh I thought MDC was playing in a rec league where you pay to play.

Reactions: TavHoSang

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
I like Schneider a lot and would be all for bringing him here but the key is getting Greiss off the books.

I don't like Koskinen at all but I'd feel very comfortable rolling with Schneider/Koskinen next year
If we can add clutterbuck to the deal even if we have to add a 2nd or 3rd sure

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
What possibilities exist to improve defense for next season? They don't really have any #1's: Boychuk and Leddy probably equate to serviceable #2's at best, deHaan likely gone, Pulock and Pelech (and Toews) need more time. Beyond that, everything else is AHL fodder. Mayfield's contract haunts me - he makes Donovan look like Karlsson. I don't think it matters who's in net when they're getting shelled with 40 plus shots every night.

I don't know what the NHL landscape truly looks like. Even a couple of decent (established) D-men would be a huge improvement. Who could legitimately be available in the off season (free agent or trade)?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What possibilities exist to improve defense for next season? They don't really have any #1's: Boychuk and Leddy probably equate to serviceable #2's at best, deHaan likely gone, Pulock and Pelech (and Toews) need more time. Beyond that, everything else is AHL fodder. Mayfield's contract haunts me - he makes Donovan look like Karlsson. I don't think it matters who's in net when they're getting shelled with 40 plus shots every night.

I don't know what the NHL landscape truly looks like. Even a couple of decent (established) D-men would be a huge improvement. Who could legitimately be available in the off season (free agent or trade)?

The guys we have would be able to do a whole lot more if they were playing for a coach who places an emphasis on defense and implements a system with rhyme and reason.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I shudder to think where we'd be now and how many Cups Boston might be looking at if we hadn't gotten lucky in that Barzal draft . . .

We were extremely lucky that the only GM in the league worse than Snow helped us out in that draft. The only scenario where I want Snow in this organization is when the ONLY other choice is Chiarelli

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
The guys we have would be able to do a whole lot more if they were playing for a coach who places an emphasis on defense and implements a system with rhyme and reason.

So I guess, because of the system, if they had Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Burns, and Doughty as their top 4, they'd still be giving up 40 shots and 3 plus goals per game. Got'cha. Now about the possibilities of who they can possibly fetch?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Barzal is a potential superstar level talent, his game is perfect for the current NHL. It is seriously like getting #1/#2 overall pick value from him.

Barzal is the one piece that allows (hopefully) new management to have faith for life after Tavares. The new core of Beauvillier, Barzal, Pulock, Leddy, Bellows, Eberle and the older generation such as Lee and Bailey will usher this team into a new era without Tavares.

If it wasn't for the awful contracts such as Ladd, Clutterbuck, and Cizikas this team would have a fighting chance for life after Tavares. The GM of this team will need to get creative in finding new homes for at least one of these men. Ladd is most likely staying and should be placed in a top six role because he is useless in the bottom six.

The team has two lottery picks and four picks in the top 45. It is crucial for this organization to not only hit on those picks, but have 2 of those picks to develop superstar potential.

Sounds difficult? It is, but franchises have been in much worse situations before.

Reactions: Axe Man

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
So I guess, because of the system, if they had Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Burns, and Doughty as their top 4, they'd still be giving up 40 shots and 3 plus goals per game. Got'cha. Now about the possibilities of who they can possibly fetch?

Actually, that's pretty much how it is. These guys however would do a hell of a lot more than ours do WHEN they have the puck.

Little would change with them in the current system when the opponent has the puck, because systems have much to do with limiting the opponents area of movement, passing lanes, shooting lanes, time with the puck, and how quickly the opponent is placed under pressure, especially when battling for loose pucks.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Ladd is most likely staying and should be placed in a top six role because he is useless in the bottom six.
Does this make any sense? He is worthless, regardless of his role. Put him on the fourth line. If he gets 30 points, great. No more saddling our top 6 with an anchor.

Reactions: SI

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Does this make any sense? He is worthless, regardless of his role. Put him on the fourth line. If he gets 30 points, great. No more saddling our top 6 with an anchor.

To be fair, he looked pretty good next to Barzal to start the year.

We're paying him a lot of money so I wouldn't hate if they tried it again and let Beau spread his wings more on his own.

If given the choice though, I shoot Laad and his contract to the f***ing moon, lets be clear about that.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I have to assume that a large part of Ladd's ineffectiveness is due to the significant wear and tear on his body. The guy has had multiple upper body injuries, especially to his shoulders, hernia surgery and a host of other maladies. At this point I assume he is held together by duct tape and twine.

I remember a couple years ago, when he was available for trade at the deadline, I was worried about giving up much of value for him because he was so shot physically. Shoulder and back injuries don't tend to improve with age and while working in a violent profession.

Honestly, the best case scenario might be that he plays on the third or (ideally) fourth line with plenty of rest, at least until he can be bought out (maybe there will be an amnesty buyout if there is another lockout), traded or try to get Seattle to take him down the line with the right enticements in expansion.

For now let him play on the fourth line with Cizikas and Clutter and rotate him with Johnston off the bench depending on the team and health. Maybe some frequent rest helps keep him fresh and semi productive. The contract is brutal but maybe he can chip in a bit and help mentor the younger players. That is all I got when it comes to Ladd, sorry, lol.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I have to assume that a large part of Ladd's ineffectiveness is due to the significant wear and tear on his body. The guy has had multiple upper body injuries, especially to his shoulders, hernia surgery and a host of other maladies. At this point I assume he is held together by duct tape and twine.

I remember a couple years ago, when he was available for trade at the deadline, I was worried about giving up much of value for him because he was so shot physically. Shoulder and back injuries don't tend to improve with age and while working in a violent profession.

Honestly, the best case scenario might be that he plays on the third or (ideally) fourth line with plenty of rest, at least until he can be bought out (maybe there will be an amnesty buyout if there is another lockout), traded or try to get Seattle to take him down the line with the right enticements in expansion.

For now let him play on the fourth line with Cizikas and Clutter and rotate him with Johnston off the bench depending on the team and health. Maybe some frequent rest helps keep him fresh and semi productive. The contract is brutal but maybe he can chip in a bit and help mentor the younger players. That is all I got when it comes to Ladd, sorry, lol.

I tend to believe.. he got his giant payday and now he can cruise, it was a bad signing in an offseason where we lost vital pieces to the team.

4th Line is good for him at this point because he can't c**block Bellows next year since we have Lee and Beau at LW

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I tend to believe.. he got his giant payday and now he can cruise, it was a bad signing in an offseason where we lost vital pieces to the team.

4th Line is good for him at this point because he can't c**block Bellows next year since we have Lee and Beau at LW

I don't know, he was always a hard worker in the past and gutted out injuries in order to play. I believe he put off the hernia surgery for a while back in 2015, because the team was winning and he wanted to stay in the lineup. He was always regarded as a hard worker and good teammate.

I really think he is just shot physically. If his shoulders and back are essentially done, he is just a corpse out there and probably cooked.

But if it is apathy, that would honestly be better. That means if there is ever a true management and culture change in the Isles, he *might* be productive again. It is sad that laziness and disinterest could be the best option for a turnaround.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think he's just at that age where people break down. Add in that he isn't the biggest guy and plays a physical style. He isn't blocking anyone yet and his cap hit isn't stopping the Islanders from signing people yet. You've got to ride it out until you're forced to make a move in hopes that somehow you get an easy out. How much would it suck to buy him out, then within the next two years another compliance buyout pops up somehow? His NMC turns into a modified NTC now going forward so if there's another expansion draft he doesn't have to be protected.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I like him taking an odd shift in the top six. He brings a different dynamic that is sometimes needed when playing heavier defensive minded teams where physicality, board work and play around the net might be needed more than the speed of Beauvillier.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think Ladd's best role on the team would be similar to what Chris Kunitz's role last year for the Pens and this year for the Lightning is. A bottom six forward who is dependable defensively, can still play physical if you don't overtax him, can chip in with 10 or so goals, and who can be slotted in the top six in emergency moments.

Ladd's biggest issue is his cap hit. So far, it hasn't been prohibitive. But, him making about half what he does would probably make it easier to swallow him being in a smaller role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad