The OFFICIAL Northeastern Huskies Thread

rattymcrat99

Feb 20, 2007
Hudson Falls, NY
www.twitter.com
Is there anyone who looks like they could be a breakout freshman, especially on defense?

i don't know about individually, but i think all the freshman d-men will get looks at some point. defense was kinda thin last year and based on the losses we suffered on the blue line in the offseason looks even thinner this year. hopefully the freshman will step up and help make the defense consistent enough to give rawlings a chance to give us a chance to win every night

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
i don't know about individually, but i think all the freshman d-men will get looks at some point. defense was kinda thin last year and based on the losses we suffered on the blue line in the offseason looks even thinner this year. hopefully the freshman will step up and help make the defense consistent enough to give rawlings a chance to give us a chance to win every night

I heard that freshman goalie Clay Witt may split time with Rawlings. He's that good, and I've been told some players consider the two equally good.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
Big weekend for NU. Get a win in Providence and any result against bc would just be icing on the cake.

Need 2 points though this weekend.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Looks like the Huskies got the wrong combination of talent going. I'm afraid Cronin could be gone after this year, even though he's been so good for the program.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Looks like the Huskies got the wrong combination of talent going. I'm afraid Cronin could be gone after this year, even though he's been so good for the program.

I graduated in '09, so I haven't seen any games this year...sucking doesn't surprise me much after dealing with the abortion of a season that they had my sophomore year. But what I really want to know is what in the hell is wrong with Quailer? I checked his stats and they're terrible...that guy looked like a great talent his freshmen year.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
I graduated in '09, so I haven't seen any games this year...sucking doesn't surprise me much after dealing with the abortion of a season that they had my sophomore year. But what I really want to know is what in the hell is wrong with Quailer? I checked his stats and they're terrible...that guy looked like a great talent his freshmen year.

He's just really rusty. He's shown flashes of brilliance, and he's even been robbed a few times, but we're still waiting for him to break out. He was out or the season last year, so that's the root of the problem.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Oleksiak, though he'll likely be gone next year, is gonna be a beast in the future. We better use his talent this year while we can.

After attending the 5-4 loss at BU which we should've won I'm very excited for the second half of the year. We skated around BU all night and somehow lost but we at least mentally know we can beat BU and BC which bodes well for the Beanpot.

Should start off Jan. 8 whooping UM-Lowell at home and get some momentum. We have a string of winnable games to start the second half going into the Beanpot where we have no business not making the championship game.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Oleksiak, though he'll likely be gone next year, is gonna be a beast in the future. We better use his talent this year while we can.

I know we talked about this, but I don't think he'll be gone next year anymore. Most college d-men who project to be in the NHL end up staying at the college level a while, probably 3 years because it takes defensemen longer to develop. Shattenkirk was at BU 3 years after he was selected 14th overall, Jamie McBain was at Wisconsin for 3 years, and so on. The norm has become for a blue chip d-man to stay 3 years in college. since Oleksiak just turned 18 and plays an unpolished game, there's a good chance he's a Husky for 3 years. That is unless he transfers...:shakehead

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Hopefully he'll stay at NU like Dan McGillis did which certainly did him wonders.

I think we are in for a big second half run. First half was a worst case scenario. Powerplay took a month to figure out but it has been solid as of late, our near all freshman defense have had a half season to get their **** together. Now it's time to put it all together. This 6 game home stretch determines our season.

We have Vermont, Umass-Lowell, UMASS and Maine from Hockey East coming to town. I expect points in all but the Maine game but we played Maine close up there, especially the first game. No guarantees though since we can't even beat Atlantic Hockey teams at Matthews but the team has looked much better in the last month.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish..

*cough* and if we don't make the Beanpot Championship, wow...

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Among the incoming freshmen/transfers for the 2011-2012 season are:

John Gaudreau, F -

Played for Dubuque in the USHL - 72 points in 60 games; #4 in points, #2 in goals in the USHL season; USHL rookie of the year

--------------

Vinny Saponari, F -

Played for Dubuque in the USHL - 64 points in 56 games; drafted in the 2nd round in 2008 by Atlanta; played two seasons at Boston University where he put up 30 points in 38 games his sophomore year.

--------------

Garrett Haar, D

Played for Fargo in the USHL - 23 points in 51 games; ranked 9th best USHL 2011 draft eligible propect by Hockey's Future.

Another solid class coming in.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
So glad I found this board. I'm a rare breed being that I'm originally from southern California (Ducks fan) and now reside in Boston (going to NU). Now I can get my Ducks and Huskies fix in the same place.

Went to all the home game last season. It was the first time I've been to college hockey games and been passionate about the results. Matthews Arena is just so fantastic. I love the energy in that place. Can't wait to post more and here's to the Huskies starting things off right next season!! :cheers:

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Greg Cronin has accepted a position as assistant coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs:
http://gonu.com/news/2011/6/20/MHOCKEY_0620111451.aspx

Boo... now we wait to hear who the new head coach is.

And where Olesiak ends up being taken. i for one am hoping the b's move the #9 pick and end up in a positions to take him. let him develop at NU and then bring him the the b's when he's ready mature and maybe spent tome time working with chara.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->