The OFFICIAL Northeastern Huskies Thread

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Hopefully they get back on track this weekend!!!!!Would be nice to see them in the frozen four!

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
NU needs to play with some swagger. Not this "We think we're good but we're not too sure and hopefully we can squeak out a win" mindset they've had recently.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
For those in the NU area looking for somewhere to watch this game tomorrow, and are old enough to drink....I've heard Connor's will be playing the game on all TVs.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
For those in the NU area looking for somewhere to watch this game tomorrow, and are old enough to drink....I've heard Connor's will be playing the game on all TVs.

Connor's I believe will be open to all ages for tonight's game. Qdoba will also be airing the game on their projection screen.

WDR357

Mar 18, 2009
Boston Area
After losing Thiessen, Vitale, Ginand, Liotti, and some extras this year, my thoughts....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeywY96kF7g#t=1m34s

Back to being a sub .500 hockey team at best.

Mebbe.....The goalie they are bringing in to replace him was the MVP of the BCHL this past year. Not a bad start. Assuming everyone else is back they'll again roll out 3-4 lines that can score. A far cry from all the years they had two lines, sometimes at best!

BU loses much more than NU, and BC isn't looking so hot right now either. Really ULowell looks as tough as anyone in HE next year. At least on paper!

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
After losing Thiessen, Vitale, Ginand, Liotti, and some extras this year, my thoughts....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeywY96kF7g#t=1m34s

Back to being a sub .500 hockey team at best.

The biggest loss is obviously Thiessen because we don't even know if the back ups can play. If they are decent we can still have a winning record, Wade Macleod, Alex Tuckerman and Steve Qualier, will all take major leaps next year.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
I think we'll be middle of the pack in Hockey East next season. Thiessen is a big loss, but Rawlings will hopefully step in like Brad did his freshman year.

As for offense and defense, there won't big a big drop off. Have a few offensive and defensive prospects that should fill in for everyone leaving except Vitale. Vitale will be missed.

I expect Tuckerman and MacLeod to lead this team next year. Qualier and McNeely right with 'em.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Im expecting a season that will end with an ok record. I havent looked much at what is coming in but the people we are losing will definitely make an impact. Hopefully people like Qualier and tuckerman step up and have good years. really looking forward to see what bu looks like next year. they should be losing a lot

WDR357

Mar 18, 2009
Boston Area
He looked fine in goal against UML last weekend. Two goals in his 58 plus minutes on the ice. Certainly wasn't the reason they lost. Obviously, he'll get better as the season progresses.

rattymcrat99

Feb 20, 2007
Hudson Falls, NY
www.twitter.com
great game against bu friday night, not so great a game against bc saturday night. hopefully it was b/c they did a little too much celebrating and just weren't themselves.

this weekend should be interesting, if we can't take points from maine this weekend, we'll be in a pretty deep hole quite early. i'm thinking we need at least three, if not all four.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Well, coming into this 2010-2011 season I think we should make the playoffs considering we were only 1 point out of 8th seed and 3 points out of a home playoff spot last season.

How good will Rawlings be? He's a bit erratic but has had flashes of brilliance like the 43 save shutout vs. BU last November. He was also great during the Beanpot and was screwed by his defensemen who decided to try and get fancy for some reason.

Offensively our top forwards should be McNeely and MacLeod. Quailer coming back is huge. Someone else has to step up though.

Defensively...we are young...Newton was a big loss. Hopefully one of the freshman can stand out like he did last year.

All in all, I think Rawlings is much more consistent and it comes down to how well we are on D. I don't think it's out of the question to nab a home playoff spot in the Hockey East playoffs. My goal is to get a 6-seed or higher to avoid BC or UNH in the first round; also hoping for the first Beanpot since 1988. We have no excuse to not make the final at least. Harvard is not going to be very good this year.

The DogHouse has to keep Matthews a tough place to come play.

Go NU!

rattymcrat99

Feb 20, 2007
Hudson Falls, NY
www.twitter.com
cody ferriero is the younger brother of ben that won the national championship at BC.

I think rawlings will be great this year, if he plays with more consistency he will be hockey east's best, and probably one of the nation's best.

Quailer coming back is going to be huge. Last preseason they built much of the game plan around him being a huge part of the offense, losing him was the difference between playoffs, and maybe home ice, and what happened.

I think MacCleod and McNeely will be the offensive leaders, but last years freshman and Quailler will take a lot of burden off their shoulders and I think we can expect to have a pretty balanced offense. Defense will probably be our weakness. Student left too to transfer to Minnesota I believe, so we're going to be relying pretty heavily on freshman back there. But, if Rawlings is consistent, and we can keep the puck more than we don't have it, that will help to soften the impact of the loses we had on defense.

as far as outlook for the season in terms of positioning, I think we have a real shot at home ice advantage. The way I see this season playing out is there will be a bunch of teams at the top, and the top six or maybe seven spots will be real tight, then the bottom three or four will be way in the basement.

bu is going to be good again, bc should be good again, but they should've been good again two years ago, and bu should've been good again last year. however, bc hasn't lost as much this year as those two teams did, so i think they will be scary. unh will likely contend for the regular season crown. leaving NU, uvm, merrimack and lowell to battle it out for the last home ice spot i think. providence will probably finish last and maine and amherst will be in a race for the eighth spot.

for the beanpot, i think we are lucky that we're playing harvard this year, that being said, we thought we were lucky three years ago. we should be able to beat them, then it will come down to getting it done in the spotlight. i would like to see NU win a beanpot real soon, i think that is the next step for this club and they probably won't be able to do much more than have successful years but not quite make it all the way. also, the last three beanpot winners have gone on to be national champions, so if we can pull off the win, who knows...

rattymcrat99

Feb 20, 2007
Hudson Falls, NY
www.twitter.com
How good will Rawlings be? He's a bit erratic but has had flashes of brilliance like the 43 save shutout vs. BU last November. He was also great during the Beanpot and was screwed by his defensemen who decided to try and get fancy for some reason.

Another note on Rawlings, the amount of improvement he experienced over the course of last season was crazy. i remember the exhibition game, watching him struggle to move laterally and he looked awful when trying to get up and go down. but he quickly got up to speed and was one of the better goalies in the league.

If he starts where he left off and develops consistency, then he will be great. If he stays out his tenure, he will likely develop into a better goalie than thiessen, or at put up better numbers.

it just pains me to think of how good he could be or how much better we could've been last year with thiessen and rawlings splitting time, thiessen would obviously have gotten more time, but could've taken some nights off and rawlings wouldn't have been shoved into the spot light so quickly and would've had more time to develop before taking the reigns, or he would've been redshirted and given a year to adjust to the college lifestyle and gotten a feel for the atmosphere before even having to play any games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad