HF Habs: The Official hawks race to a better 2nd round pick Thread

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
I know. But one of those games, he played just under 30 minutes (vs. BUF on Jan. 23rd). It counts as a game played in his stats, but if the 30-minute condition is true, then he's played 6 games.

Capfriendly has the details of the trade as Montoya needs to play 30 minute of a game to be considered a start so I guess he needs to play one more

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Capfriendly has the details of the trade as Montoya needs to play 30 minute of a game to be considered a start so I guess he needs to play one more

They updated it. I looked not long ago, and they didn't have the "minimum 30-minutes." They only had 7 regular season games as part of the condition.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm sure Montoya will play one of the games this weekend and the "30 minute" thing won't matter anymore.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Seems like the Oilers don't really care about that pick. It's not like they have a shot to the PO or something, why even play Montoya? Call up someone from the AHL and keep your pick...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Seems like the Oilers don't really care about that pick. It's not like they have a shot to the PO or something, why even play Montoya? Call up someone from the AHL and keep your pick...

Montoya has a sub-900 SAV percentage and over 3 GAA since the trade. He has a sub-500 winning percentage with Edmonton.

He'd be ideal if EDM is trying to lose.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Montoya has a sub-900 SAV percentage and over 3 GAA since the trade. He has a sub-500 winning percentage with Edmonton.

He'd be ideal if EDM is trying to lose.

They could probably lose with a kid from the AHL in front of the net no?

I mean, I would be pissed on Julien/Bergevin if he was playing Niemi instead of Lindgren and Fucale in a lost season while there was a pick involved...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
They could probably lose with a kid from the AHL in front of the net no?

I mean, I would be pissed on Julien/Bergevin if he was playing Niemi instead of Lindgren and Fucale in a lost season while there was a pick involved...

Absolutely this could happen, not disagreeing with you. At the same time, without knowing their goalie prospects, why call up a youngster to get bombed on every game? Yeah, yeah, they are pros and so on, but confidence in the early stages is so key. I am ok leaving Lindgren in like Claude did in that bashing a few games ago as he needs to learn to fight through it, but if every game he played is like that where he gets shelled, I would have a problem with it.

In regards to Niemi, while I am happy for him, I am still under the opinion this late season run is an outlier. I'd be shocked if he pulled this off next year and sustains it.

Reactions: PhysicX

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

In the business world they call it corporate good will, when a company does something that won't directly lead to more profits. I would hazard a guess that the hit rate of a 4th round pick is only slightly better than that of a 5th round pick. Is the difference worth losing some "goodwill" around the NHL community by benching a veteran NHL backup? I'm just speculating of course, because logically you're right, they should just play some 3rd string.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belial

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If you’re a Habs fan and you paid $400 for you and your family to see a hockey game and the team decided to play Zach Fucale, sitting Niemi and Lindgren because they prefer to lose, you’d be pissed.

Now imagine the Oilers who have sucked for even longer and were supposed to climb out of that hole and decide to do that so they don’t give up a 4th instead of a 5th, it’s even more ridiculous.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
LA is currently losing to the Devils, 3-0 with 10 mins left in the third. Doesn’t look good.

I have a feeling that LA won’t make it this season. Hopefully, I’m wrong.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
If you’re a Habs fan and you paid $400 for you and your family to see a hockey game and the team decided to play Zach Fucale, sitting Niemi and Lindgren because they prefer to lose, you’d be pissed.

Now imagine the Oilers who have sucked for even longer and were supposed to climb out of that hole and decide to do that so they don’t give up a 4th instead of a 5th, it’s even more ridiculous.

400! How big of a family are we talking about and what kind of seats? How much is one adult ticket?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
LA is currently losing to the Devils, 3-0 with 10 mins left in the third. Doesn’t look good.

I have a feeling that LA won’t make it this season. Hopefully, I’m wrong.

They're definitely not making it easier on themselves by losing more often than not. What works in their favor at this moment over Anaheim and Calgary, who sit behind them in the division is that LA has 37 ROW, while Anaheim has 32 and Calgary has 33.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
im also surprised the oilers have chanced it and continued to play montoya as well.. very puzzling , but at the same time it feels like just maybe the management is aware of the 30 min rule and might not play him again lol.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
In the business world they call it corporate good will, when a company does something that won't directly lead to more profits. I would hazard a guess that the hit rate of a 4th round pick is only slightly better than that of a 5th round pick. Is the difference worth losing some "goodwill" around the NHL community by benching a veteran NHL backup? I'm just speculating of course, because logically you're right, they should just play some 3rd string.

That team has serious character issues and Montoya is a good guy to have around. He was a very high pick and has gone from can't miss super prospect to eventually having to settle for a back-up role. He has stuck with it and has had a pretty good run. That type of character might also be worth something to that team... it's not like they are lacking young talent...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Where are we at with Montoya's EDM game count?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Where are we at with Montoya's EDM game count?

To be on the safe side, he needs to play one more game. He's already played 7 but one game he didn't start & he played less than 30 minutes.

The 30 minute condition can't be confirmed, but if he plays one more game that point is moot anyway.

Reactions: Runner77

habs73

Jul 29, 2006

Looks like Montoya will get the start today in Tampa. They're playing at 5PM. As of the 10-minute mark of the 2nd period, if Montoya is still in, the Habs will get Oilers' 4th.

Small victories in this crap season hey, hopefully Montoya makes it to the 30 minute mark!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Small victories in this crap season hey, hopefully Montoya makes it to the 30 minute mark!

Whatever victories we can get, however small, is a victory nonetheless. Especially since chances are it's a high 4th, which in an unofficial way, can be seen as a late 3rd. At this moment, on CapFriendly's Draft Board, the Oilers' 4th is Pick #100.

Reactions: habs73

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Whatever victories we can get, however small, is a victory nonetheless. Especially since chances are it's a high 4th, which in an unofficial way, can be seen as a late 3rd. At this moment, on CapFriendly's Draft Board, the Oilers' 4th is Pick #100.

I am happy, that was the spot Mete was picked at, definitely a big pick upgrade in my eyes. I am a Kings fan for the next two weeks as well, that is where we really get a big upgrade, the King's 5th to our own 4th

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad