The Official Jeff Skinner Trade Thread Drinking Game

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So really the point of this thread is to see how fast we can all die of Alcohol poisoning?
Speaking of which, is it possibly time to start drinking whenever we hear "budget team" when others talk about the Canes? (That ROR thread basically came down to, the Canes can't ask for more than ROR because he's a budget 1C and they're a budget team)

Billionaire owner who openly says cost won't be an issue and is effectively giving away tickets to get fans in the stadium. We certainly aren't operating like a budget team anymore.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I didn't realize ROR's contract is almost completely front-loaded. I think that's less of an issue for Dundon than it would have been for PK, but a potential 2020 work stoppage where ROR gets paid $5M on 7/1 and only has $1M at risk for the season isn't as appealing.

OTOH, maybe Dundon can get a discount by making an offer for ROR before July 1, 2018 when Buffalo has to pay another $7.5M bonus.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So... I'm torn on what I would want the Canes to do. My initial reaction is to say the best timeline for the team is to make a deal that gets us a lesser 1C, like ROR without disrupting our Top 4 at D (or if if we do maybe sacrificing Faulk rather than Hanifin, Slavin or Pesce) and then leveraging that to make a run at someone like Tavares in FA so we're able to roll Tavares-ROR-Staal as our top 3 centers next season. But at the same time, I also really want to see what Necas has to offer, and if he lives up to potential, he would come in being able to play at the 'lesser' 1C level at a fraction of the price of someone like ROR allowing us to maybe use some cap room to round out the goalie spot.

Either way, if we're able to pull off either scenario, we'll be in a great spot for the future.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I didn't realize ROR's contract is almost completely front-loaded. I think that's less of an issue for Dundon than it would have been for PK, but a potential 2020 work stoppage where ROR gets paid $5M on 7/1 and only has $1M at risk for the season isn't as appealing.

OTOH, maybe Dundon can get a discount by making an offer for ROR before July 1, 2018 when Buffalo has to pay another $7.5M bonus.

Yep. On the flipside, his actual dollars is only $6M for the last 4 years of his deal (vs. a $7.5M cap hit) so for some teams, like Carolina, that's desirable. That is, unless Dundon suddenly starts spending to the cap.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, Buffalo would be foolish to move him without that coming back. I know many said that ROR isn't a great fit here because he's "similar" to Staal (although superior on the PP), but I think he'd be great here. First off, if ROR didn't have to take all the tough matchups, I'm convinced he'd score even more than he does ES. Secondly, with Staal and ROR as our two centers, it would be very tough for teams to get favorable match-ups on the road. Of course, Tavares would be more desirable, but I think ROR would be a great fit.

That said, I agree with you Rod. Unless they'd do a deal with Faulk involved (which they probably won't) or some element of futures (Bean/Fleury, picks,+Rask), it would cost too much.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yep. On the flipside, his actual dollars is only $6M for the last 4 years of his deal (vs. a $7.5M cap hit) so for some teams, like Carolina, that's desirable. That is, unless Dundon suddenly starts spending to the cap.

Agreed. But I doubt we will see a blockbuster ROR trade before 7/2. I think Pegula is more likely to spend the $7.5M and get full price on the return.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I highly doubt ROR gets moved for anything short of a current top 4D with upside (along with the other adds).
Yeah won't disagree with that one bit, and in those terms Fleury may be more appealing but just probably is flat out not good enough yet/not experienced enough yet to be the centerpiece for a trade like that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean, they're not wrong about not wanting to move Jost for Skinner as it's a move that doesn't make sense for them. But yeah, the doublespeak on that is definitely palpable. Can't call others crazy for not wanting to move a top young asset for a guy a year or two from free agency and then use the same take yourselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad