Not open for further replies.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
So apparently our GM is prepared to do something incredibly stupid and get rid of ROR (who is only among the best two way players in the league) because "he's not a winner" (and you all know just how well that worked out for Edmonton when they got rid of "loser" Taylor Hall). What would you guys be willing to give up that wouldn't be completely bending us over (also keep in mind we'd be paying almost his entire salary via the $7 million bonus he is due on July 1st, which is why he will not be traded before July 1st)?

Hard to say when I talked to Sabres fans in the past we were picking at 11 and you all wanted to fix your D. Does getting Dahlin change that?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Guessing probably the 19 first at least. Nashville's gonna be up toward the cap regardless so the savings is real for them, but on the other hand the gap in value between Faulk and Subban isn't made up by the gap between Skinner and Rinne even factoring in contract situation.

The difference between Faulk and Subban is indeed significant. The difference between Skinner and Rask is less so, but still there. Those two differences together don't equal a 1st in my opinion (uninformed as ever).

Well, yes. If you believe this is a wash, then we would be adding maybe a 1st. But I'm not sure Skinner doesn't have more value than Rinne given their ages and the Preds needs. Couple that with the contract differences between what is going out and what is coming back for the Preds and the fact that getting Faulk back doesn't leave them with a hole in the lineup, just a talent down grade for a contract down grade, I'd think a 2nd round pick either this year or next added in on our side would be fair.

I tend to agree w/@DaveG here. Perhaps a conditional 1st, turns into a 2nd if we don't make the playoffs. That said, overpaying for Subban wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The article is 2 years old...?
It was an article before Subban even played a game for the Preds, so once again probably some more made up Montreal garbage.

I mean the guy cited as having a problem was Mike Ribeiro, who would be out of the league 6 months later for falling off the wagon drinking again.

As a Nashville fan there has been no locker room issue talk other than made up stuff from Montreal media.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Got a link to those rumors? Not trying to antagonize I just haven't heard any such thing. I'd cackle with glee to have subban as a hurricane- if they want a player who can put butts in seats he is the man. I think he's the most entertaining player to watch in the league
I have no link, but Andy Strickland (rinkside reporter in St. Louis) said today on NHL radio that a lot of scouts think the Preds are looking at possibly moving Subban. He said salary (his and future contracts) and locker room dynamics were issues.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Shifting the conversation a bit, I wonder if Tyler Johnson may become available in the offseason. Like many Bolts, he finished in disappointing fashion; the playoff TJ that was to compensate for some disappointing regular season numbers recently didn’t show himself this time around. Tampa has a decision to make as Johnson has an NTC kick in on July 1.

Tyler Johnson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

After finishing the season on Point’s RW, I wonder if Tampa would find a cheaper option in that spot appealing. Lindholm would offer more size and defensive value relative to Johnson, and should come in at a cheaper AAV if Tampa goes short-term. Johnson is a couple of years older, but has been the better offensive player for the most part and is less of a question mark at center. The structure of his contract is a budget-unfriendly for next year ($6.75 mil), but it should be manageable if Skinner is flipped, directly or indirectly, for something cheaper.

Trade board worthy?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Shifting the conversation a bit, I wonder if Tyler Johnson may become available in the offseason. Like many Bolts, he finished in disappointing fashion; the playoff TJ that was to compensate for some disappointing regular season numbers recently didn’t show himself this time around. Tampa has a decision to make as Johnson has an NTC kick in on July 1.

Tyler Johnson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

After finishing the season on Point’s RW, I wonder if Tampa would find a cheaper option in that spot appealing. Lindholm would offer more size and defensive value relative to Johnson, and should come in at a cheaper AAV if Tampa goes short-term. Johnson is a couple of years older, but has been the better offensive player for the most part and is less of a question mark at center. The structure of his contract is a budget-unfriendly for next year ($6.75 mil), but it should be manageable if Skinner is flipped, directly or indirectly, for something cheaper.

Trade board worthy?
I wouldn't give up Lindholm for Johnson TBH. He has one good season with the Triplets, aside from that? Meh, 38, 45, 50. Lindholm just flat out brings more to the table even if he scores a bit less, and he's a full half decade younger.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hard to say when I talked to Sabres fans in the past we were picking at 11 and you all wanted to fix your D. Does getting Dahlin change that?
Yes, as does us signing one of the best defenseman from the Swedish league. But I think the prevailing opinion is that you can't have enough good defensemen so that is probably be what we would want. If we are hellbent on trading ROR the trade I could see making sense would be with the Isles for Lee (pending him agreeing to an extension). I think a net presence like him would be exactly what we need but I think Botts still values defense more so I doubt that would ever happen.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I have no link, but Andy Strickland (rinkside reporter in St. Louis) said today on NHL radio that a lot of scouts think the Preds are looking at possibly moving Subban. He said salary (his and future contracts) and locker room dynamics were issues.
Which just tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about. Outside of Ellis there is no one due a big raise and it won't hit til next season. The cap is already going up this next season, you have Fisher, Hartnell and Emelin all not coming back and none of them will cost much to replace. Even then Ellis' new contract went kick in until Rinne's is over who went be getting 7 million on his next one and a couple of buyouts rolling off soon as well. I have no idea where this thought of needing to move him for cap purposes would come from.

The locker room stuff once again is just more regurgitated garbage where if enough people rumor it then suddenly it becomes fact. Not a single person can name a player or incident that would even show there is a problem. All of it has come from people outside of the Nashville organization.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Which just tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about. Outside of Ellis there is no one due a big raise and it won't hit til next season. The cap is already going up this next season, you have Fisher, Hartnell and Emelin all not coming back and none of them will cost much to replace. Even then Ellis' new contract went kick in until Rinne's is over who went be getting 7 million on his next one and a couple of buyouts rolling off soon as well. I have no idea where this thought of needing to move him for cap purposes would come from.

The locker room stuff once again is just more regurgitated garbage where if enough people rumor it then suddenly it becomes fact. Not a single person can name a player or incident that would even show there is a problem. All of it has come from people outside of the Nashville organization.

I can't speak to the truth of any of it, all I can say is what I've heard reported. However, in addition to Ellis, wouldn't moving PK put you guys in the driver's seat for JT if he does leave the Isle? Maybe that is the salary that the Preds are thinking about.

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Faulk for Kap, Skinner for Klefbom was suggested on CanesCountry.

TT - Aho - Svechnikov
Kap - Staal - Lindy
Zykov - Necas - Williams
Foegele - Rask - Martinook

Slavin - Pesce
Hanifin - Klefbom
Fluery - TVR

Hutton
Darling

Reactions: Breakdowns
Status
Not open for further replies.