Speculation: The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 2, Have a Drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So you guys are up to about 5 top 3 D right now , including 3 top 2 D? Lol. Man I wish.

Impressive drafting and developing.

Galchenyuk is actually improving greatly in his all around game, and Gallagher should have the C, guy is a warrior. But I hear you, not interested.

Just curious, you guys are outside looking in again ( where Habs were last week ), what are you looking at doing to take that next step ?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So you guys are up to about 5 top 3 D right now , including 3 top 2 D? Lol. Man I wish.

Impressive drafting and developing.

Galchenyuk is actually improving greatly in his all around game, and Gallagher should have the C, guy is a warrior. But I hear you, not interested.

Just curious, you guys are outside looking in again ( where Habs were last week ), what are you looking at doing to take that next step ?

Hanifin was a gift, Slavin and Pesce was just amazing to happen, and Fluery was the pick of need at the time.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
what are you looking at doing to take that next step ?
If you’re asking that in regard to the 20 guys on the ice, I’d say it’s get better goaltending from Darling, our centers to have a greater impact on the game, and for the defensemen to stop missing assignments around the net.

If you’re asking about the organization, we are looking for a #1 center.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
5 Top 3 D is an exaggeration, imo. They're not that good, yet. This is very subjective, but my categorization is as follows:

Slavin (high-end defensive 2) – His offensive game holds him back.
Pesce (defensive 2/3) – He provides little offensively.
Faulk (offensive 2/3) – He’s taken a step back having become less effective offensively to go with his inconsistent defensive game.
Hanifin (offensive 4/5) – He has some work to do on the defensive side of the puck.
Fleury (defensive 4/5) – He provides little offensively.
van Riemsdyk (defensive 5-6) – Not that he’s known for his defensive game, but he has provided even less than Pesce and Fleury offensively.

There’s room for growth for Hanifin, Fleury and perhaps Slavin. Faulk has it in him to be a mid-range 1D; hopefully he finds his offensive game at some point.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
If you’re asking that in regard to the 20 guys on the ice, I’d say it’s get better goaltending from Darling, our centers to have a greater impact on the game, and for the defensemen to stop missing assignments around the net.

If you’re asking about the organization, we are looking for a #1 center.

Lol, you and us both. At least you have the depth at D to make a move.

Good luck guys.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't see being able to turn any of those players right now into a legit #1 C. Maybe Hanifin, while his stock is sky-high at the moment, but then again he's a guy who's playing so well we'd be supremely stupid to trade him.

Fleury is the one that really encourages me, because A) he's a good player but mostly because B) that's 4 straight homegrown defenseman that look to have panned out now (Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin and now Fleury). So obviously we have a solid handle on how to draft and develop the blue line, which bodes well for Bean and Luke Martin, or even somebody like McKeown who has also looked the part. When those guys start coming in then you really have options.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Enjoyed this post from the Johnny Hockey Art Ross thread regarding the Leafs:

"Here's how it works. First you have your "Very Good" players. These are players that routinely finish in the top 20 in scoring but rarely move up. Then you have your "Elite" players. These are the franchise players that some teams are lucky to have who routinely finish in the top 10 of scoring. Then you have your "Generational" players, these are the ones that contend for the Art Ross year after year. Then above all of those tiers you have "The best player for Toronto" tier which is reserved for the messiah whom despite not being notable in any statistical category, is without a doubt the best player in the league.

Simple."

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/if-johnny-hockey-wins-the-ross.2419161/page-2

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
To your point, going the opposite way, put Lindholm on that team and see where he ends up.

Yep, exactly. Although I watch the two teams a lot and Nylander is a better skater, more skilled than Lindholm and better offensive player than Lindy. Lindholm is stronger along the boards and more physical, but can't create offense the way Nylander does.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yep, exactly. Although I watch the two teams a lot and Nylander is a better skater, more skilled than Lindholm and better offensive player than Lindy. Lindholm is stronger along the boards and more physical, but can't create offense the way Nylander does.
I think it's debatable whether Nylander is more skilled or a better skater. If he is, it's not by a lot. The noticeable difference is in how they play in the offensive end. One plays more like Zetterberg and the other one a lot like Johan Franzen or [insert Swedish grinder here]. I think Nylander not playing in the NHL right away and then learning under a coach like Babcock had a big impact on this. Lindholm had historic production for a draft eligible forward in the SHL and was highly thought of offensively before we rushed him and turned him into more of a grinder.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think it's debatable whether Nylander is more skilled or a better skater. If he is, it's not by a lot. The noticeable difference is in how they play in the offensive end.

It's not debatable in my mind and more than a difference in how they play. I have rarely, if ever seen Lindy beat guys on his own with speed or gain zone entry because of his speed and skill like Nylander does frequently almost every game. It's very noticeable to me.

One plays more like Zetterberg and the other one a lot like Johan Franzen or [insert Swedish grinder here]. I think Nylander not playing in the NHL right away and then learning under a coach like Babcock had a big impact on this. Lindholm had historic production for a draft eligible forward in the SHL and was highly thought of offensively before we rushed him and turned him into more of a grinder.

No doubt Lindy was rushed, but even with that, part of the issue is he's never had the speed to separate himself from the opposing team and create offense on his own. Nylander does that and does it regularly. Lindy isn't slow, but he's not a speedster either and when Lindy got stronger is when he started becoming more effective player. He's using what he has, but elite skating and skills to separate himself and create isn't his best asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->