The Official Android Thread Part XV: Time For Some Oreo!

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Anyone else interested in the Razer phone to be unveiled on November 1? This might just be the golden goose of gaming phones. I was so envious of people who had the PlayStation Phone way back when. I’m hoping this one is the real deal.

The slogan is WatchListenPlay, and the first teaser photo is of a guy WATCHing video as a view of what I think is Times Square is behind him. So, Watch videos, Listen to music, Play games. Hopefully there’s a full gamepad solution included that’ll let people bring their classic (wink) games along with them in a form factor that doesn’t require a carrying case.

I was set to upgrade to a newer iPhone but this one might be worth waiting for.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Welp I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me, bought my Nexus 6p in Feb of 2016 and now I have that dreaded battery issue. Warranty expired this past February, my phone runs out of battery at 30% - 40%, ordered a new battery off Amazon will do the replacement myself.

This apparently is very common with the 6p, avoid this phone at all cost if anyone's thinking about it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Welp I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me, bought my Nexus 6p in Feb of 2016 and now I have that dreaded battery issue. Warranty expired this past February, my phone runs out of battery at 30% - 40%, ordered a new battery off Amazon will do the replacement myself.

This apparently is very common with the 6p, avoid this phone at all cost if anyone's thinking about it.
Both my cousins that had the 6P encountered the same problems with their battery. Really crazy how widespread that issue became.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Both my cousins that had the 6P encountered the same problems with their battery. Really crazy how widespread that issue became.
It would be the perfect phone if it weren't for the battery issue, no problems software related, up to date with Android O, camera is great. Huawei and Google really messed this one up. Honestly thinking of just getting a Oneplus 5 and not even bothering with the battery replacement.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Not sure where I should ask this but is it possible theres something about the electrical outlets in my room/house that would cause batteries to degrade faster than they normally would? I've had this problem for a really long time where battery life on my devices shrinks to nothing in a few months at most, I'm wondering if it happens to other people or if its me.

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
Same exact issue for me and my wife. I was at the Eiffel Tower yesterday and my phone died with 35% battery life left. Absolutely ridiculous. There should be a class action.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I feel like ive said this a million times on here but i just bought an S7 and made some attempt at a backup or restore. Goodness gracious backups on Android are abominable. Cannot believe how many people think android backups are just as good. Honestly anyone who thinks that is instantly discredited in my eyes. It is just objectively not in the same league. You're essentially starting over from scratch when compared to iOS backups.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I feel like ive said this a million times on here but i just bought an S7 and made some attempt at a backup or restore. Goodness gracious backups on Android are abominable. Cannot believe how many people think android backups are just as good. Honestly anyone who thinks that is instantly discredited in my eyes. It is just objectively not in the same league. You're essentially starting over from scratch when compared to iOS backups.

It's Android, it's why backup apps even exist.

The problem is all on Google, because the more relevant backup features are Nougat on up (like app data backup and restore), but devs aren't going to target APIs that most users aren't even able to use.

And Android users are their own worst enemy, both saying that OS updates don't matter, and the only reason iOS users update is to get rid of the badge icon, and that the updates slow down the phone anyhow.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Bought myself the Asus Chromebook C302 today. My old Windows 7 laptop is all but a paperweight nowadays. Given the compatibility now with Chrome OS and the Play Store, I felt this suited me better than getting another windows laptop.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just canceled my Pixel 2 order. Way too many issues coming out now that people actually have their hands on it.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Ya. OLED panel is pretty dull + the burn in issue. Earlier this year i was debating if i should get a S8 or wait for the Pixel 2 XL. Went with the S8 and gotta say that i don't regret my decision.

That's too bad because the PixeL 2 XL still seem like a great phone. But that screen burn in issue is not good

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Wait, what? The last few times I've had to reset or move phones, restoring backups has been flawless. A backup is saved to my Drive every time I plug my phone in at night, and I have a list of these backups to choose from when I log in to my Google account on a new phone. iOS must have made huge strides since the last time I had an iPhone, because that's the only time I've ever lost all of my data while restoring a phone.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Ya. OLED panel is pretty dull + the burn in issue. Earlier this year i was debating if i should get a S8 or wait for the Pixel 2 XL. Went with the S8 and gotta say that i don't regret my decision.

That's too bad because the PixeL 2 XL still seem like a great phone. But that screen burn in issue is not good

And there's the talk of the bending issue that the iPhone 6 (I think) had. I typically view that as an overblown criticism, but in combination with the two things you listed it's just not worth the price tag until after they get the kinks out. May still end up buying one at a later date, or maybe wait for the Pixel 3. Still rocking the Nexus 5x and it's still pretty solid.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
And there's the talk of the bending issue that the iPhone 6 (I think) had. I typically view that as an overblown criticism, but in combination with the two things you listed it's just not worth the price tag until after they get the kinks out. May still end up buying one at a later date, or maybe wait for the Pixel 3. Still rocking the Nexus 5x and it's still pretty solid.

Ya banding and a noticeable blue tint as soon as you move the screen too. Apparently google is investigating the issues. LG made the panels for their screens so it may be them or it could be something that is resolved with a software update like the red tint that was originally present on the S8. We'll have to wait and see i guess.

Because aside from that the Pixel 2 XL has a great stock android experience and a fantastic camera. Would be a shame that the whole package is not what it should have been because of those issues.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Wait, what? The last few times I've had to reset or move phones, restoring backups has been flawless. A backup is saved to my Drive every time I plug my phone in at night, and I have a list of these backups to choose from when I log in to my Google account on a new phone. iOS must have made huge strides since the last time I had an iPhone, because that's the only time I've ever lost all of my data while restoring a phone.
I really dont know what you consider a good backup, but Ive attempted to restore from backups several times on android over the years and every time its basically pointless.

On iOS its been as simple as entering the icloud when the phone starts up and you pretty much can't tell the difference. My dad had to switch to a 5c from a 6s just a few months ago. It took 5 minutes and it was basically the same phone.

"Wait, what" is my reaction anytime someone in this thread says android backups are passable let alone better or as good as iOS.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Anyone else interested in the Razer phone to be unveiled on November 1? This might just be the golden goose of gaming phones. I was so envious of people who had the PlayStation Phone way back when. I’m hoping this one is the real deal.

The slogan is WatchListenPlay, and the first teaser photo is of a guy WATCHing video as a view of what I think is Times Square is behind him. So, Watch videos, Listen to music, Play games. Hopefully there’s a full gamepad solution included that’ll let people bring their classic (wink) games along with them in a form factor that doesn’t require a carrying case.

Well, the announcement was today - it's a solid 1440p 5.7" 120Hz screen, strong front-facing speakers, 8gb RAM, etc. Signed up for the pre-order, hopefully it's less than $1000 CDN.

https://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/mob...Zz5XMB3URjretUPda3zv9TahGohh8Z70aAscPEALw_wcB

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

Saw a video on it yesterday. It certainly look interesting. Flagship internals (snapdragon 835 , Adreno 540 , 8gn of ram , 4000mah battery) and some interesting features like the IPS 120hz display. Also stock android and it look like the fluidity and performance is on par with the Pixel 2 XL.

It did seem they cut corners on a few things thoug. No IP certification ,. no wireless charging , big bezels etc

Video of the dude was only a preview so i will certainly keep my eye on it. Look like it may surprise a lot of people this year

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Saw a video on it yesterday. It certainly look interesting. Flagship internals (snapdragon 835 , Adreno 540 , 8gn of ram , 4000mah battery) and some interesting features like the IPS 120hz display. Also stock android and it look like the fluidity and performance is on par with the Pixel 2 XL.

It did seem they cut corners on a few things thoug. No IP certification ,. no wireless charging , big bezels etc

Video of the dude was only a preview so i will certainly keep my eye on it. Look like it may surprise a lot of people this year

Yeah, the things they cut corners on might be deal-breakers to a lot of people, namely the Android power users. Funny thing is, they omitted things that didn't matter to me - I've never used phones near water, have no interest in wireless charging because it's slow, and those mammoth speakers in an iPhone Plus-sized body is exciting, so bezels are kind-of okay. But it'll all be meaningless if the reviews and early user impressions are poor.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Question. I just saw the Q3 market share and Apple beat out Samsung again. In a quarter where Samsung really should have taken it (S8 vs. an 8 while most were waiting on the X). In my personal opinion, the thing holding Samsung back is having their own OS. What would it take for this to happen?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Question. I just saw the Q3 market share and Apple beat out Samsung again. In a quarter where Samsung really should have taken it (S8 vs. an 8 while most were waiting on the X). In my personal opinion, the thing holding Samsung back is having their own OS. What would it take for this to happen?

I think they're too far behind and don't have the technology to catch up in a meaningful way. It's kind of like Chrome OS trying to get into the PC space or Microsoft trying to get into the phone game, but worse. What does Samsung have to offer other than the devices themselves?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I think they're too far behind and don't have the technology to catch up in a meaningful way. It's kind of like Chrome OS trying to get into the PC space or Microsoft trying to get into the phone game, but worse. What does Samsung have to offer other than the devices themselves?
Problem is, that's the main question today. The phone debates are always centered around how Samsung's hardware is better and tech/size is introduced well before Apple. But I feel it's Apple's software that puts it well ahead.

I mean, while Samsung is the leader in the Android (saturated) market, it can't find a way to beat out Apple. I just find it kind of strange that they haven't pulled away from Android for their own system that they have full control over.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Problem is, that's the main question today. The phone debates are always centered around how Samsung's hardware is better and tech/size is introduced well before Apple. But I feel it's Apple's software that puts it well ahead.

I mean, while Samsung is the leader in the Android (saturated) market, it can't find a way to beat out Apple. I just find it kind of strange that they haven't pulled away from Android for their own system that they have full control over.

The thing that makes the other operating systems appealing is how integrated they are in your life elsewhere and how much they know about you. As an android user, I wouldn't switch to another operating system simply because I'm fully entrenched in the Google ecosystem. Samsung doesn't have any ecosystem that I'm aware of, so it'd be very limited on their ability to attract people away from Google and Apple products with their own OS. I think their only chance to make their own OS would be to hit a market that Google and Apple don't target already, and that's the low end user.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The thing that makes the other operating systems appealing is how integrated they are in your life elsewhere and how much they know about you. As an android user, I wouldn't switch to another operating system simply because I'm fully entrenched in the Google ecosystem. Samsung doesn't have any ecosystem that I'm aware of, so it'd be very limited on their ability to attract people away from Google and Apple products with their own OS. I think their only chance to make their own OS would be to hit a market that Google and Apple don't target already, and that's the low end user.

But, there are already great phones by LG, Google, and others that use the same operating system. Samsung leads the way (in NA), but I just feel like, if it ever wants to overtake Apple here, it needs its own ecosystem.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
But, there are already great phones by LG, Google, and others that use the same operating system. Samsung leads the way (in NA), but I just feel like, if it ever wants to overtake Apple here, it needs its own ecosystem.

Might have been feasible while Android was in its infancy, but migration to a new OS, now, would be catastrophic on every level.

Android and Google Play are surprisingly robust, and even though Android devices don't quite have the synergy that Apple devices have, they're getting better.

Samsung has a worldwide lead on Apple, so I don't think losing in NA is as worrisome for them as you might think.

I think they'll just focus on doing things that Apple can't do, like VR, foldable displays soon, the Note, more affordability. Samsung is doing fine. If the Note 7 didn't kill them, nothing will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->