The Official Alexander Ovechkin Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
That's the current agreement. Who knows what they Russians may want it to be. It could one flat rate for all, plus the remaining years on the players contract. So, it could be 1 million for the transfer fee and 250K per year for their contract. I'm just saying it could end up costing a team more to get Malkin out than Ovechkin. Just a possibility.

SwOOsh*

They won't get that much. The caps aren't going to pay 2-3 million for him plus his contract to play in Portland. If there is a NHL season though I could see it as a possibility but probably less than that considering the Capitals could just say that they won't give them a cent and wait the one year.

SwOOsh*

Just a quote I found interesting:

It is now accepting proposals from Russian clubs and putting together a formal recommendation to the IIHF regarding a new player transfer agreement, Kukushkin said. He noted, however, that the Russian federation will not be passing on demands from Russian clubs for exorbitant buyouts fees like the one Dynamo wants for Ovechkin. "Asking for $1 million for a player is unrealistic," Kukushkin said. "We are immediately disregarding such proposals."

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
SwOOsh said:
They won't get that much. The caps aren't going to pay 2-3 million for him plus his contract to play in Portland. If there is a NHL season though I could see it as a possibility but probably less than that considering the Capitals could just say that they won't give them a cent and wait the one year.
I thought he was too young for the AHL (20 year minimum age?)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That only applies to kids coming out of Canadian juniors. If you're a Euro or a college kid, the minimum is 18 years old.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Ovechkin said he is not interested in playing in the minors in North America. Why would he be? The Superleague is the second-best league in the world, why would he take a step down?

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Foppa_Rules said:
I just read in an article that Dynamo Moscow wants $2.5-$3 million dollars for the transfer fee for Ovechkin.

Well considering we're almost assured of at least a part of next season being wiped out I hope the Caps just leave him there another year and leave Dynamo's greedy ass with nothing. I figured they'd ask for $1.5-2, but $3 mill is outrageous for someone whos only got 1 year left on his deal. Well this should get interesting.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
CapitalPunishment55 said:

Well even the RHF's chief arbitraitor said a club asking for even $1 mill is too much so maybe there's hope. If not though, I'm not too worried cause Leonsis & co are loaded and with the new CBA limiting rookie salaries it'll probably even out to what he woulda had to pay AO under the old deal so it's not such a big deal for Was, my question is with the Pens now....if they want $3 mill for AO with only 1 more year left on his deal I wonder what theyd ant outta Pitt for Malkin whose got 4-5 years left on his deal? This really could affect what they do considering they're broke.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Foppa_Rules said:
Ovechkin said he is not interested in playing in the minors in North America. Why would he be? The Superleague is the second-best league in the world, why would he take a step down?

It's not a step down, it's a lateral move. Slightly less skill than the RSL (depending on your definition of skill even that is debatable) but much more similar in style to the NHL. There would be several benefits to him playing in North America as opposed to Russia. The culture, the language, the opposition, the travel, the contacts.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Ovechkin turned down a $1.5 million dollar contract and a house in California offered to him if he would play in the minors in North America.

About the RHF saying anything more than $1 million, I think that's more of a Good Cop-Bad Cop thing than an indication of sensibility and reason on the part of the RHF. Russian clubs come out and say "we need $2.5-$3 million to feed our players", NHL clubs reel back in shock, then "the voice of reason" RHF comes out and says "anything more than $1 million is unreasonable", then the RHF hopes the NHL teams will be stupid and fall for it, thinking that they are getting a really good deal. Politics, politics.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Ovechkin turned down a $1.5 million dollar contract and a house in California offered to him if he would play in the minors in North America.
What league would this be?

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Here it is, as best as I can translate it: "The owners of one transatlantic club pursued Ovechkin, trying to tempt Ovechkin and his father with one and a half millions dollars. Simply as the premium for moving from Russia. And in addition they offered a house in California."

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
EroCaps said:
do you have a link?

http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?akce=clanek&webid=0&id=21140

Also Zinovyev scored two. Ovechkin played in the line Zelepukin - Zinovyev - Ovechkin. This line organized 6 goals.

IlyaK17 said:
Hat trick for Ovechkin... Russian now 3rd place in the Euro Hockey Tour.

Ovechkin could make it but Zinovyev was a bit faster on rebounding after Chekmanek stopped Ovechkin's attack.

Online report of the game with comments:
http://www.gazeta.ru/cup2002/online/hockey/s2531.shtml

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad