The Official Alexander Ovechkin Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
EroCaps said:
I can't take credit for putting these on a fast server, they're a poster's over at washingtoncaps.com. :bow:

What does everyone think, he got the skillz? I didn't know Ovechkin was that fast and had such lateral movement from what people have been saying lately.

Yeah, by the way people have been talking lately (especially on trade board) you'd of thought be was some potential 80 point defensive player (not close to Nash or Zherdev's potential for offense), but from those clips he look's every bit like a young Bure as Kovolchuk or anyone else I've seen since....and with a reported decent defensive game, great work ethic, and a great head on his shoulders......what god did we please!? :D

I know all that wasn't exactly against NHL players but then again this is him at 17-18 years old.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
Drake1588 said:
Nice!
(FYI, looks like the Ovy3 video is linked twice, including under the one listed as Ovy4.)

Sorry, I fixed the link now, so everyone who didnt get the video called Ovy4, you can get it now. I updated the link and you were right, i had Ovy3 on there twice. :dunce:

beerman

Mar 5, 2004
when I try to play the video it tells me no suitable decrompressor found????? and then it doesn't work

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
beerman said:
when I try to play the video it tells me no suitable decrompressor found????? and then it doesn't work

go on google or something and search for "dvix codec" then download it and install the divx codec

it should work then. if it doesnt, let me know

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
what's he gonna do?

I've got a question for everyone.....what do you expect him to do his rookie year (given it's a full seasona nd what do you think he'll do his best year?

Remember, in todays NHL the leading goal scorers only got 41 and breaking 100 points is unbeleivable (how far it's fallen) :(

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
b-mad said:
I've got a question for everyone.....what do you expect him to do his rookie year (given it's a full seasona nd what do you think he'll do his best year?

Remember, in todays NHL the leading goal scorers only got 41 and breaking 100 points is unbeleivable (how far it's fallen) :(

That is just the thing . . . all these Mario comparisons . . .to be honest Mario did it all with defensemen drapped over him mugging him half the time, hell holding and tripping could have been called on his defender every shift, Gretsky never was touched except for maybe one or two times in his entire career . . . that was what made Mario great, and that will determine what Ovechkin does . . . a young Mario, even in this day and age, I think could get 50 or 60 goals . . . Ovechkin has yet to prove that he is a young Mario, with that power to score despite the clutch and grab that he is going to face for the first time in his career.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
That is just the thing . . . all these Mario comparisons . . .to be honest Mario did it all with defensemen drapped over him mugging him half the time, hell holding and tripping could have been called on his defender every shift, Gretsky never was touched except for maybe one or two times in his entire career . . . that was what made Mario great, and that will determine what Ovechkin does . . . a young Mario, even in this day and age, I think could get 50 or 60 goals . . . Ovechkin has yet to prove that he is a young Mario, with that power to score despite the clutch and grab that he is going to face for the first time in his career.

Huh?

I'm just asking what people think he'll do.......the only comparisons I had cross my mind are with what other youngsters have done lately. This has nothing to do with Mario, Gretzky, or any other ridiculous comparison.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
b-mad said:
Huh?

I'm just asking what people think he'll do.......the only comparisons I had cross my mind are with what other youngsters have done lately. This has nothing to do with Mario, Gretzky, or any other ridiculous comparison.

Sorry, was not referring to you specifically . . . that comparison has been thrown about quite a bit though, and I was saying it is unlikely unless Ovechkin shows me something when he gets here that he will get those 50 or 60 goals perhaps ever (unless the game changes from its current form which is hardly friendly to scoring) . . . there is already a thread with a poll on how many Ovechkin will score, I think on the HF poll page here . . . http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=68692

Last edited:

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
Hey all

I have been getting complaints by some users that they cant watch the videos on my site

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~gdogum/main.htm

When you go to the site, dont simply click the links. If you're using a Windows computer or Internet explorer, right click the link and choose "Save target as..."

then it should work just fine. have fun! I'll update when I get a hold of more videos. :)

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Marshall said:
Now, another question is whether or not Ovechkin will come over for whatever exsists of next season. If I had to guess right now, I would guess that he stays in Russia for 04-05.

I think it's a really good chance. Considering it'll be his last year under contract with the RHF, thus then could come over in '05-'06 without the Caps havin to give up a friggin cent (with the IHF agreement gone I could easily see Dynamo ask for $1-2 mill for his transfer....though with Leonsis & co's deep pockets they might just pay it cause he'll definitly put some fanny's in the seats). Then theres the sticky issue of what they'll do with their BS military obligations to keep him in Russia.

Anyone know the specifics of their military requirements....is it mandatory or just "encouraged"? And considering I beleive he's played on the military team does that count?

I must admit though, since the Caps won the lottery I don't think I can stand waitin another year and a half to see him in a Caps sweter flyin around out there.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
MacLean talked to both Ovechkin's and Malkin's agents before the lottery. He said that Ovechkin's agent said everything is in place for him to play in the NHL next season. Either the military thing is being waived or he's finished it already. The Caps just have to pay the fee.

Malkin's agent, however, is his father. MacLean said his agent signed him to a five year deal with his Russian club. That really wouldn't have mattered under the old agreement since NHL contracts trump all others according to the IIHF. I'm sure the NHL will be pushing for that to be put into any new agreement. Otherwise the Pens will have to wait awhile if they refuse or are unable to pay for his fee.

SwOOsh*

Sir Ozzie X said:
MacLean talked to both Ovechkin's and Malkin's agents before the lottery. He said that Ovechkin's agent said everything is in place for him to play in the NHL next season. Either the military thing is being waived or he's finished it already. The Caps just have to pay the fee.

That is great to hear. I'm guessing that if there is a season next year we will see Ovechkin play, if not he will stay in Russia for one more season and the Caps can bring him over for nothing.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
SwOOsh said:
That is great to hear. I'm guessing that if there is a season next year we will see Ovechkin play, if not he will stay in Russia for one more season and the Caps can bring him over for nothing.

It would benefit Ovechkin to play with Semin and his future teammates in Portland next season, ease the culture shock, acclimation with NA game and players, etc. I'd hope Leonsis and co. at least tried to get him to come over.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Sir Ozzie X said:

Malkin's agent, however, is his father. MacLean said his agent signed him to a five year deal with his Russian club. That really wouldn't have mattered under the old agreement since NHL contracts trump all others according to the IIHF. I'm sure the NHL will be pushing for that to be put into any new agreement. Otherwise the Pens will have to wait awhile if they refuse or are unable to pay for his fee.

Thx, I've been tryin to find this stuff out. Well I just hate it when guys use family as agents...they always get screwed. I'm pretty sure the RHF is set on goin the soccer route and do transfers on a case by case basis, which for the cash strapped Pens is gonna be a problem....all because the kid's dumbass father agreed to a 5 year deal, I mean how stupid can u be to lock up your kid for so long when I'm sure they knew he had a great shot at the NHL (unless he signed it 2-3 years ago). I wonder now if this will influence the Pens to trade down or just take Olesz? This really sucks for Pens fans, and I really want them to get it togther....just enough so they don't move and the Caps get to beat their ass in the playoffs every year. :D

Great news for the Caps though.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Yea, it may cost the team to get Malkin out more than Ovechkin. Ovechkin will just have the high fee and maybe the remaining year on his contract. With Malkin you got the fee and the last four years of his contract.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Sir Ozzie X said:
Yea, it may cost the team to get Malkin out more than Ovechkin. Ovechkin will just have the high fee and maybe the remaining year on his contract. With Malkin you got the fee and the last four years of his contract.

????

It's either one or the other.....if team pays a transfer fee they own him and his Russian deal is finished, and if he plays out his contract then they don't have to pay anything because he's free to go anywhere. That's my understanding at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad