2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
this team keeps breakin' records.
and yah we had the five game losing streak in there too that's kinda spiffy.

When did we lose 5 straight? The most I can find is 3.

Not that amazing when you consider the context - several of our wins came in OT or shootouts, back in the day you had to win in regulation.

OT has been around for over 40 seasons

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not quite 40, 35 I think. And even then, it used to be 5 minutes of 5 on 5, not 3 on 3 and no shootouts. Bottom line is, anyway you slice it it's a LOT easier today to put wins on the board then it used to be which really takes the shine off this sort of "all-time" record.

We're having a good season, no need to make it sound better than it it. JMHO.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i think it was one of those "Winless in 5" (but we got loser points)

Not quite 40, 35 I think. And even then, it used to be 5 minutes of 5 on 5, not 3 on 3 and no shootouts. Bottom line is, anyway you slice it it's a LOT easier today to put wins on the board then it used to be which really takes the shine off this sort of "all-time" record.

We're having a good season, no need to make it sound better than it it. JMHO.

how is it easier?
you still have to win in overtime. last season the Leafs couldn't buy a win in overtime if you had a gun to their head. I don't think it' should take a shine off anything. It's a good season, end of story and it's impressive.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i think it was one of those "Winless in 5" (but we got loser points)

how is it easier?
you still have to win in overtime. last season the Leafs couldn't buy a win in overtime if you had a gun to their head. I don't think it' should take a shine off anything. It's a good season, end of story and it's impressive.

Wins are easier to come by for the simple reason that all games now end with a winner being declared, this was not the case previously. So it's easier for every team to put wins on the board.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Here is thought # 7 and 27 from Friedman's 31 thought

7. There have been rumours that Brendan Shanahan would like to “bring back the band” in Toronto. That is, keep everyone in the front office in the same positions for at least one more season. But there’s no confirmation and a real desire to keep this kind of information very quiet.

27. Nazem Kadri is on-pace for 42 goals. His professional high is 32, achieved last season. He beat that total once in the OHL, with 35 as 19-year-old in London. This century, there are four players who scored 40 goals for the first time as 27-year-old: Markus Naslund (41 in 2000-01), Brian Gionta (48 in 2005-06), Henrik Zetterberg (43 in 2007-08) and Patrick Kane (46 in 2015-16). Kadri doesn’t have a great shot, so he’s got to get close and get greasy to earn them.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Here is thought # 7 and 27 from Friedman's 31 thought

7. There have been rumours that Brendan Shanahan would like to “bring back the band” in Toronto. That is, keep everyone in the front office in the same positions for at least one more season. But there’s no confirmation and a real desire to keep this kind of information very quiet.

27. Nazem Kadri is on-pace for 42 goals. His professional high is 32, achieved last season. He beat that total once in the OHL, with 35 as 19-year-old in London. This century, there are four players who scored 40 goals for the first time as 27-year-old: Markus Naslund (41 in 2000-01), Brian Gionta (48 in 2005-06), Henrik Zetterberg (43 in 2007-08) and Patrick Kane (46 in 2015-16). Kadri doesn’t have a great shot, so he’s got to get close and get greasy to earn them.

Team is trending in a positive direction, so no need for any real changes if everyone is amenable to maintaining status quo for a little while longer.

Don't know if Kadri can again best his previous career high - and by such a margin - but he still figures to end up posting another quality season and being really good value for what we have him locked in at going forward.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Team is trending in a positive direction, so no need for any real changes if everyone is amenable to maintaining status quo for a little while longer.

Don't know if Kadri can again best his previous career high - and by such a margin - but he still figures to end up posting another quality season and being really good value for what we have him locked in at going forward.

Dubas is probably eager for his opportunity but 3 large contract negotiations are coming up and every move is critical at this stage as we basically need to play everything right if we want to win a cup. 1 more year with Lou at the helm to take care of some big stuff might not be the worst idea.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Dubas is probably eager for his opportunity but 3 large contract negotiations are coming up and every move is critical at this stage as we basically need to play everything right if we want to win a cup. 1 more year with Lou at the helm to take care of some big stuff might not be the worst idea.

You have a massive bromance with Dubas, bud! you start threads about it, etc ...I wonder how crushed you are going to be when he is passed over :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Lol, right...

Now ask mommy and daddy for hooked on phonics this Christmas like a good little boy :)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I read your posts/threads pushing Dubas many times ;) all is good :thumbu:

Real talk.

If the organization thinks he's the heir then I am sure he is chomping at the bit to go, other teams are starting to notice him with Avalanche asking to speak with him in the summer. Lou is a good GM so far, he brings about a sense of stability we haven't had in the organization in god only knows how long. The problem is at this point he isn't the longest term solution.

I think with a lot of big moves coming up, I feel a bit safer with Lou because if Dubas misplays things it botches our cup chances. I also looked in a blog post if an external candidate makes sense? Dean Lombardi? I don't know.

Staying status quo for another season may not be the worst idea because Lou can handle the big 3's contracts.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Real talk.

If the organization thinks he's the heir then I am sure he is chomping at the bit to go, other teams are starting to notice him with Avalanche asking to speak with him in the summer. Lou is a good GM so far, he brings about a sense of stability we haven't had in the organization in god only knows how long. The problem is at this point he isn't the longest term solution.

I think with a lot of big moves coming up, I feel a bit safer with Lou because if Dubas misplays things it botches our cup chances. I also looked in a blog post if an external candidate makes sense? Dean Lombardi? I don't know.

Staying status quo for another season may not be the worst idea because Lou can handle the big 3's contracts.

Hell no to Lombardi, he falls in love with players and hands out some pretty average contracts

Keep Lou or put in Dubas/Hunter
This management team has done a good job so there's no need to go outside of the organisation imo

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hell no to Lombardi, he falls in love with players and hands out some pretty average contracts

Keep Lou or put in Dubas/Hunter
This management team has done a good job so there's no need to go outside of the organisation imo

It would be Dubas, because I really wouldn't want to lose Hunter and his scouting services which he couldn't do running all arms of the organization.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It would be Dubas, because I really wouldn't want to lose Hunter and his scouting services which he couldn't do running all arms of the organization.

I'm fine with that

Dubas is a young guy but he'd have plenty of experience around him to ease his transition into the big job

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm fine with that

Dubas is a young guy but he'd have plenty of experience around him to ease his transition into the big job

Would Lou be okay with transitioning into a senior adviser or assistant GM and giving Dubas the reigns? Didn't seem so in New Jersey but maybe the season after next he's truly ready to take a step back?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Would Lou be okay with transitioning into a senior adviser or assistant GM and giving Dubas the reigns? Didn't seem so in New Jersey but maybe the season after next he's truly ready to take a step back?

I can't see Lou being forced out, if he wants to stay on as GM he probably will and Dubas will have to wait his turn

But if Lou wants to pull back into an advisory role (which would be his own decision) while Dubas gets his feet wet in the big job it would be a pretty ideal set up

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I don't mind waiting before that possible GM change happens either. Since we already have the experience here and his moves appear to have gone well, it makes sense to have Lou ink the big 3 to new deals instead of perhaps quickly throwing relative inexperience into that kind of situation (again), even without the interim tag there this time.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->