2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion - 49-26-7 105 pts

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I've noticed they've been using Brown over Zaitsev on the PP, which I don't agree with. The club has 7 forwards who have scored 55 or more points in a season and 3 defenseman who has scored 35 or more points in a season. They give the team the best chance to score a man up. Brown does get shafted in terms of opportunity, as are the likes of Leivo and Kapanen. But, that should work itself out come next season.

They're not using Brown on the PP instead of Zaitsev, they're using Brown on the PP instead of Komarov, and Rielly on the PP instead of Zaitsev. We run 4 forwards 1 D PP units, last year the D's were Gards and Zaitsev, this year it's Gards and Rielly. Brown's job in to go stand in front of the net, you wouldn't ask Zaitsev to do that. Putting a 2nd D back on the PP would mess with what we have working. The 1st unit has the D Gards and then Matthews and Nylander in an umbrella type of setup, the 2nd units it's Marner in one of those slots, is it Kadri in the other? Having 2 D point men would be a different setup entirely, why mess with what works?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I wonder if the new rules are helping a guy like Kadri. Or more hand-eye faceoff guys in general.

Kadri: 59.5fo% (37) / Komarov 76.5fo% (17)
Bozak: 57.7fo% (52) / Marner: 76.9fo% (13)
Matthews: 46.2fo% (26) / Nylander 45.8fo% (24)
Moore: 100.0fo% (9) / Fehr 47.1fo% (17)

TOR: 58.8fo% (2nd in NHL)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I wonder if the new rules are helping a guy like Kadri. Or more hand-eye faceoff guys in general.

Kadri: 59.5fo% (37) / Komarov 76.5fo% (17)
Bozak: 57.7fo% (52) / Marner: 76.9fo% (13)
Matthews: 46.2fo% (26) / Nylander 45.8fo% (24)
Moore: 100.0fo% (9) / Fehr 47.1fo% (17)

TOR: 58.8fo% (2nd in NHL)

Rule should apply for every one but look like Leafs are way better in this department as compared to previous seasons - I don't think if either Marner or Komarov can keep with those high numbers

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
For the first time in maybe 20 years I am perfectly content to just let this roster play and see what they can do. Im not craving a trade like I usually do.

Feels good

Reactions: canadon

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Win or lose they are entertaining. Pain is over. Pleasure is here.

Indeed.

Imagine we had slogged on with Nonis, Phil, and Dion instead of moving them out (and presumably not getting Matthews. What are the chances Nonis would have traded Nylander + Rielly for Duchene? Im going 1000%

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Indeed.

Imagine we had slogged on with Nonis, Phil, and Dion instead of moving them out (and presumably not getting Matthews. What are the chances Nonis would have traded Nylander + Rielly for Duchene? Im going 1000%

We would be the current Montreal Canadians minus the best goalie in the world.
I can't even fathom going back into purgatory for another decade, and anytime I want to remind myself what it was like, I can just watch a Habs game.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
For the first time in maybe 20 years I am perfectly content to just let this roster play and see what they can do. Im not craving a trade like I usually do.

Feels good
Same other than just getting JVR off the team who's effort I feel is bringing down his line, while we could get by with Bozak if a defensive guy like Kapanen/Brown/Marleau were moved up to his spot

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Hainsey is logging close to 22 minutes of ice time, which is the most on our roster, he has given us the much needed stability and a partner to play with Rielly. He is not really a 1st pairing "D" but is a much better option then whatever we had, so far he has made really well and has minimized the errors on your top pairing and ability to cover up for Rielly and let him jump in to offensive zone - this is turning out to be a very smart signing by Lou (management)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Couple of questions that come to mind

- What are we going to do with Carrick, is it wait and see how these 2 Swedes perform or the managment is looking for other option(s)
- We now have 2 backups - just wondering if Pickard to see some time soon or is it McBackup's job to lose?

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Couple to questions that come to mind

- What are we going to do with Carrick, is it wait and see how these 2 Swedes perform or the managment is looking for other option(s)
- We now have 2 backups - just wondering if Pickard to see some time soon or is it McBackup's job to lose?

1 - Nothing. You let him play and he'll sort his place in the organization out.
2 - Dont know. As long as Freddy is healthy McElhinney will probably get the occassional start. If Freddy goes down I could see Pickard and McElhinney maybe alternating starts

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am really trying to figure out why Marner doesn't get tried with Matthews. I am also wondering if Babcock actually thinks Nylander is a defensive liability. Marner with Matthews just works so well in my head, will we ever see it??

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I am really trying to figure out why Marner doesn't get tried with Matthews. I am also wondering if Babcock actually thinks Nylander is a defensive liability. Marner with Matthews just works so well in my head, will we ever see it??
If Babcock thought Nylander was a defensive liability he wouldn't be playing with Matthews on what is effectively the team's 'first line'. Hell, that's probably a big reason why he chooses to put him on that line over Marner.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
This team is having a very difficult time containing shots from the point, and that, too 5 on 5. Teams have been exploiting that weakness by having some traffic in front of our net and Freddie struggles with that.

Need to ensure we're containing shots from the point. I'm also feeling Polak's absence on the PK here as he was good at boxing out players in front of the net.

member 262271

All this talk about outscoring our opponents is not even remotely sustainable, which has been said. Still I can't help but be reminded of the Carlyle era which I'm pretty sure had that model, I want the leafs to tighten up defensively cause I hate being reminded of the dark ages.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
All this talk about outscoring our opponents is not even remotely sustainable, which has been said. Still I can't help but be reminded of the Carlyle era which I'm pretty sure had that model, I want the leafs to tighten up defensively cause I hate being reminded of the dark ages.
Look at the underlying numbers. Those alone are proof that this is not anything close to the Carlyle days (aka rope a dope hockey). Those Carlyle teams were some of the worst possession teams ever if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Keep outshooting the opponent, reduce shots against to 30 or less, possess the puck, win faceoffs. Most days your going to win. Unless you are playing Price or Schneider. :(

member 262271

Look at the underlying numbers. Those alone are proof that this is not anything close to the Carlyle days (aka rope a dope hockey). Those Carlyle teams were some of the worst possession teams ever if I'm not mistaken.
Not really a huge numbers guy, I think they have value but I don't pretend to understand them at all. I do know that this team is not that team, I'm just concerned about any model where you have to score this much to cover up your defensive issues.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Not really a huge numbers guy, I think they have value but I don't pretend to understand them at all. I do know that this team is not that team, I'm just concerned about any model where you have to score this much to cover up your defensive issues.
A fair criticism. The beautiful thing about the numbers though is that they tell us that the way we are playing, we should expect to win a lot of games even if our defensive play stays the same as it is now.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

member 262271

A fair criticism. The beautiful thing about the numbers though is that they tell us that the way we are playing, we should expect to win a lot of games even if our defensive play stays the same as it is now.
Hmm cool, I like the sounds of that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad