OT: The Official 2013 WJC Thread

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm guessing everybody is glad the "Let's trade down and get the offensive D guy we really need in Murphy" train didn't leave the station. He's looked mediocre in the games I've watched and his numbers are underwhelming this season.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'm guessing everybody is glad the "Let's trade down and get the offensive D guy we really need in Murphy" train didn't leave the station. He's looked mediocre in the games I've watched and his numbers are underwhelming this season.

It's a double edge sword my friend. When a prospect is lighting it up, he's the next big thing but when he's struggling, he's a bust.

Why don't we wait until he and any other prospects actually make it to the NHL before claiming anything. If we go with your mindset, is Matteau a career ECHL'er since he didn't make team USA?

And yes, I'll admit I was one of the "leaders" of the "Murphy train" ;)

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
I know this has been debated before but can't remember where. What are the chances Severson makes Canadas WJC team next year? Who's he up against? Some of those playing this year must be ineligible and some of the other highly touted will probably be in the NHL (Murray, maybe Rielly?).

Would of loved us to have gotten Gibson, stellar goaltender. Not only doing well in the WJC but also putting up the numbers with Kitchener.

The Arnott 2nd rounder traded to Nashville was at #38 were they took Hellberg. Gibson was taken at #39.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Matteau is having a pretty nice season in the OHL at 18, his rookie year. Murphy is having a less impressive season at 19, his 4th season. I would think those are the comparisons we would want to make, not base it on who made the WJ teams.

I would be concerned about Murphy's point production trending downward for the 3rd season, if I was a Carolina fan.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I know this has been debated before but can't remember where. What are the chances Severson makes Canadas WJC team next year? Who's he up against? Some of those playing this year must be ineligible and some of the other highly touted will probably be in the NHL (Murray, maybe Rielly?).

Murray is a '93 so he'll be too old for next year's tournament. Depends on the coaching staff and whether or not Severson can fill a particular role. Ie, this year Canada kept Tyler Wotherspoon (lower NHL upside stay at home guy) over some other flashier offensive D (Mat Dumba, Derrick Pouliot, etc).

Of this year's D, only Morgan Rielly and Griffin Reinhart will be eligible. Both might be NHLers by this time next year, although I wouldn't be surprised if both played one more year of juniors. Brian Burke, assuming he's still Leafs GM, usually likes to let prospects develop. Meanwhile the Islanders might have learned a lesson from rushing Nino Niederreiter last year.

http://hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci...profile_id/202931/team_id/82853/ss_id/190000/

From their December camp, the other '94s were Dumba, Pouliot, and Adam Pelech. I'd make an educated guess that Slater Koekoek, Michael Matheson, Darnell Nurse (2013), and Ryan Pulock (2013) will be on the radar as well.

For Severson to get a camp invite, it might depend on whether or not the Canadian braintrust thinks he'd be a good fit as a PK/shutdown type. Seems like Hockey Canada likes Pelech in that regard.

Would of loved us to have gotten Gibson, stellar goaltender. Not only doing well in the WJC but also putting up the numbers with Kitchener.

The Arnott 2nd rounder traded to Nashville was at #38 were they took Hellberg. Gibson was taken at #39.

I wonder if Gibson would have decommitted from Michigan had he been hypothetically drafted by us. Michigan has been desperate for goalies as Gibson and Jack Campbell both jilted the Wolverines for the OHL.

Had we kept the pick, I think I would have happily taken Brandon Saad. The Arnott trade essentially netted us Zidlicky, so at least we didn't come out completely empty handed.

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
Lets not forget that Al Montoya was the goalie for USA in 04. He had a .944 SV % 1.33 GAA, so Gibson playing well in a short tournament doesn't really mean he's going to be anything special.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lets not forget that Al Montoya was the goalie for USA in 04. He had a .944 SV % 1.33 GAA, so Gibson playing well in a short tournament doesn't really mean he's going to be anything special.

He's played very well in the OHL too. He's a good goalie, you can tell while watching that it's not like he's playing out of his mind, this is just his usual play.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Dmkj1.jpg

Those Pats fans sure know how to wave a flag properly! :laugh:

Guess he never looked in the mirror.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Dmkj1.jpg

Those Pats fans sure know how to wave a flag properly! :laugh:

Guess he never looked in the mirror.

Don't wanna be a biatch but that could be the camera flipping the pic. I have some pictures on my grand piano where the stick is on the wrong side. Looks totally weird.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Don't wanna be a biatch but that could be the camera flipping the pic. I have some pictures on my grand piano where the stick is on the wrong side. Looks totally weird.
Never seen that happened before. Why would they even do that? Whatever, I just found it funny.

EDIT: I call BS on that, but you almost got me in this late hour. The logo on his hoodie isn`t flipped.

EDIT: Just finished watching the game/interviews.

Does JT Miller talk fast. Like some Looney Tunes character. lol

And Gibson doesn`t like to talk a lot and always answers with a smile on his face no matter what the question is.

Seemed like he was high in that interview. haha

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
Murray is a '93 so he'll be too old for next year's tournament. Depends on the coaching staff and whether or not Severson can fill a particular role. Ie, this year Canada kept Tyler Wotherspoon (lower NHL upside stay at home guy) over some other flashier offensive D (Mat Dumba, Derrick Pouliot, etc).

Of this year's D, only Morgan Rielly and Griffin Reinhart will be eligible. Both might be NHLers by this time next year, although I wouldn't be surprised if both played one more year of juniors. Brian Burke, assuming he's still Leafs GM, usually likes to let prospects develop. Meanwhile the Islanders might have learned a lesson from rushing Nino Niederreiter last year.

http://hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci...profile_id/202931/team_id/82853/ss_id/190000/

From their December camp, the other '94s were Dumba, Pouliot, and Adam Pelech. I'd make an educated guess that Slater Koekoek, Michael Matheson, Darnell Nurse (2013), and Ryan Pulock (2013) will be on the radar as well.

For Severson to get a camp invite, it might depend on whether or not the Canadian braintrust thinks he'd be a good fit as a PK/shutdown type. Seems like Hockey Canada likes Pelech in that regard.

I wonder if Gibson would have decommitted from Michigan had he been hypothetically drafted by us. Michigan has been desperate for goalies as Gibson and Jack Campbell both jilted the Wolverines for the OHL.

Had we kept the pick, I think I would have happily taken Brandon Saad. The Arnott trade essentially netted us Zidlicky, so at least we didn't come out completely empty handed.

Exactly what I was looking for, cheers for looking that up, was too tired at 2am to look it up myself.:laugh:

There's always going to be tough competition when competing for a spot on team Canada but it does look like he'll at least have a shot if he starts next season well and keeps up his good pace this season. He has been involved with Canada before though, so that is definitely a plus as Canada management should know who he is and what he can do.

Yeah Michigan have had some tough luck in that regard. Hard to say if he'd stayed or not, Lou absolutely likes prospects going the college route though, no doubt about that.

Saad would of been a good pick, I agree. Plays like a pro already. I'm very happy with what Zidlicky has brought to our team so no complaints.

No of course not, but If you take into consideration his stats with the USNTDP, OHL and the OHL playoffs you'll see that his good play is not a one off but quite the opposite. Seems like he's very consistent.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
While I don't particularly care who wins, this Russia/Canada game has been pretty entertaining so far. Russia takes a 3-1 lead, Canada comes back to tie, and Russia quickly retakes the lead. And they're not even halfway through the game.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
apparently the first time since 98

Yep.

I'll say it was not a very good canadian team.
-Coaching was suspect all along
-A one-line team. Only RNH and Huberdeau (a little Scheifele) were good enough
-Too undisciplined, too many penalties. They played as a true north-american team (Ritchie, Camara, Jenner...) but it was on big ice, with IIHF rules...
-Very bad defense. Ouellet and Harrington were the onyl one good enough. Very disappointed by Hamilton and Rielly. Murphy was not good 5-on-5, and he was victimized on the winning goal.
-GK was suspect. Subban was a little bit better than expected, but far from the best GK on this tournament.

Overall, I'll say 4th is the true place of this Canadian squad this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->