The Nordiques cup runs of 1996 and 2001

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I've had this arguement recently on another board and I thought I'd bring it here...It all stems from the "Denver was handed a cup on a silver platter...Quebec got SCREWED royally, Fans in Denver are nothing but bandwagoners" talk.

If the Nordiques had stayed in Quebec insted of being moved to Denver...would they have become the powerhouse cup winners they were in the late 90's/early 00's?

I say No. For a few reasons.

First and most importantly, no way does Montreal trade Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to the cross province rivals. In fact Roy probably ends up in Philly, Detroit or even LA.

Second, on most likely reduced budget from having to stay the Claude Lemieux, and Sandis Ozolinsh trades don't happen. Long term the Rob Blake, Theo Fleury, and Ray Bourque deals never go down because the team isn't the powerhouse dominant team. And quite possibly they don't have the money to match the Rags offer sheet to Sakic.

Sure they had tons of young talent (Sakic, Foppa, Foote, Ricci, Drury...who was a Nords DP, Hejduk, Yelle, etc..) But I just don't think without Roy, Keane, Lemieux and Ozolinsh this team would have made it past round 1...even in the East.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Remember that if the Ozolinsh and Lemieux trades never happen, that leaves them with Owen Nolan and Wendel Clark. Maybe not the pieces they needed, but it could be worse.

A lot is speculation, but it's obvious that Montreal would have never traded Roy to Quebec. That's not to say they couldn't have picked up a goalie on the free agent market or through another trade (Belfour, maybe). They still would have had a damn good team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
For that one year run, the Avs got their cup handed to them on the backs of long time Quebec suffering. You can say that Montreal wouldn't have traded Roy to Quebec. Who knows if this is the case? Roy was on the decline at the time, the Habs sucked and the Nords players were very promising. Maybe they would have taken the package anyway. As far as the budget goes, for the one year run, I don't know that Lemieux and Ozolinsh cost more than Clark and Nolan. They probably didn't. The whole thing hinges a bit on the Roy deal, but even then, Quebec could probably have done it with another configuration or with another goalie in net.

The refs love me

Dec 13, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm fairly certain if the team remained in Quebec, Joe Sakic would not of been a Nordique for much longer. I vaguely remember reading the team moving and influx of money made it possible for the team to retain it's core.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's generally agreed upon by people who would know.

Well, if not Roy, it could have been someone else, and they still would have probably done it. Belfour's time in Chicago was coming to an end around that point, so they could have nabbed him. Or, for all we know, Thibault or Fiset could have done it. The Denver equation really didn't count for too much when it comes down to the first cup in 1996. Now if we talk about 2001, that's a totally different story.

puckhead103*

the nords would probably won the stanley cup if....

1. if 1995 CBA helped canadian teams
2. a salary cap
3. a meaningful revenue sharing system helping canadian franchises.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Hard to say, the Nordiques already had an elite team in the making with one of the best foundations in NHL history.

Wendel Clark - Joe Sakic - Owen Nolan
Valeri Kamensky - Peter Forsberg - Scott Young
Martin Rucinsky - Mike Ricci - Adam Deadmarsh
Chris Simon - Claude Lapointe - Andrei Kovalenko

Adam Foote - Uwe Krupp
Aaron Miller - Jon Klemm
Curtis Leschyshyn - Sylvain Lefebvre

Jocelyn Thibault
Garth Snow

In the prospects pipeline were:
Milan Hejduk
Chris Drury
Anson Carter

This team would've won at least one cup with the immense talent it had.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Quebec was a doomed team for years. Let me preface this by saying I love Quebec City. I think it's the most unique city in North America, with its culture and history. Spent a day there when I was a kid. I could spend a month there.

But I don't think it's a city that Bettman ever wanted. It was one of the smallest markets in North American pro sports. If they had this rich tradition, then I think the league would have put up a bigger fight to save them. But they had a little more than 15 years in the NHL, no championships, one conference final appearance, and a stretch of one playoff season in eight years.

Everyone knew the potential was there for something special, and yeah, they had the best hot dogs and rink food in the league, but it wasn't a team the league wanted.

And I don't know how happy the players were to be there. How many history buffs play in the NHL? A lot of players didn't enjoy the French aspect of the city. Montreal's billingual. A player who doesn't know French can survive in Montreal. Quebec City has a much stronger francophone flavour.

I wish Quebec still had a team, but it's not feasible.

As for the Avs in 1996: While Joe Sakic was the Avs' playoff MVP, Patrick Roy was the missing piece, with his experience, savvy and presence. Maybe the Nords get a good puck-stopper at the deadline in 1995-96. But everyone knew Quebec/Colorado needed a goalie as far back as Ron Hextall's playoff follies in 1993. They got the goalie they needed in Roy. And there is no way Montreal trades Roy to Quebec City, because everyone knew that it could be the move that pushes them over the top.

Claude Lemieux's grit and big-game mentality was a big addition. So was Ozolinsch's puck-moving ability. But no Roy = no Cup in 1996. And Roy DOES NOT go to hated rival Quebec City.

By the time the team moved to Colorado, the Sakic trade rumours were done. There were lots of rumours in 1994, but those ended the moment Sundin went to Toronto. But Quebec City wouldn't have been able to match the Rangers offer sheet to Sakic in 1997. So there's no way 2001 happens.

blamebettman*

Heck, if they beat Montreal in game 3 OT back in 1993, that Nords team might've been in the finals.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Quebec was on the verge of winning in '95. They got screwed in that Rangers series with that one bad call. I could still see a championship for them maybe not right away in '96. But maybe Sakic doesnt get an offer sheet from the Rangers if he isnt the '96 Conn Smythe winner.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
For that one year run, the Avs got their cup handed to them on the backs of long time Quebec suffering. You can say that Montreal wouldn't have traded Roy to Quebec. Who knows if this is the case? Roy was on the decline at the time, the Habs sucked and the Nords players were very promising. Maybe they would have taken the package anyway. As far as the budget goes, for the one year run, I don't know that Lemieux and Ozolinsh cost more than Clark and Nolan. They probably didn't. The whole thing hinges a bit on the Roy deal, but even then, Quebec could probably have done it with another configuration or with another goalie in net.
We're still down a cup from losing the Rockies.
the nords would probably won the stanley cup if....

1. if 1995 CBA helped canadian teams
2. a salary cap
3. a meaningful revenue sharing system helping canadian franchises.
4. A visit from the Easter Bunny
5. Pigs flying
6. Hell freezing over

Quebec was on the verge of winning in '95. They got screwed in that Rangers series with that one bad call. I could still see a championship for them maybe not right away in '96. But maybe Sakic doesnt get an offer sheet from the Rangers if he isnt the '96 Conn Smythe winner.
You seen some of the UFA deals they handed out?

puckhead103*

Quebec was a doomed team for years. Let me preface this by saying I love Quebec City. I think it's the most unique city in North America, with its culture and history. Spent a day there when I was a kid. I could spend a month there.

But I don't think it's a city that Bettman ever wanted. It was one of the smallest markets in North American pro sports. If they had this rich tradition, then I think the league would have put up a bigger fight to save them. But they had a little more than 15 years in the NHL, no championships, one conference final appearance, and a stretch of one playoff season in eight years.

Everyone knew the potential was there for something special, and yeah, they had the best hot dogs and rink food in the league, but it wasn't a team the league wanted.

And I don't know how happy the players were to be there. How many history buffs play in the NHL? A lot of players didn't enjoy the French aspect of the city. Montreal's billingual. A player who doesn't know French can survive in Montreal. Quebec City has a much stronger francophone flavour.

I wish Quebec still had a team, but it's not feasible.

As for the Avs in 1996: While Joe Sakic was the Avs' playoff MVP, Patrick Roy was the missing piece, with his experience, savvy and presence. Maybe the Nords get a good puck-stopper at the deadline in 1995-96. But everyone knew Quebec/Colorado needed a goalie as far back as Ron Hextall's playoff follies in 1993. They got the goalie they needed in Roy. And there is no way Montreal trades Roy to Quebec City, because everyone knew that it could be the move that pushes them over the top.

Claude Lemieux's grit and big-game mentality was a big addition. So was Ozolinsch's puck-moving ability. But no Roy = no Cup in 1996. And Roy DOES NOT go to hated rival Quebec City.

By the time the team moved to Colorado, the Sakic trade rumours were done. There were lots of rumours in 1994, but those ended the moment Sundin went to Toronto. But Quebec City wouldn't have been able to match the Rangers offer sheet to Sakic in 1997. So there's no way 2001 happens.
if the 1995 CBA was more like the 2005 CBA with a salary cap and meaningful revenue sharing.....the nords would've stayed...

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Remember that if the Ozolinsh and Lemieux trades never happen, that leaves them with Owen Nolan and Wendel Clark. Maybe not the pieces they needed, but it could be worse.

A lot is speculation, but it's obvious that Montreal would have never traded Roy to Quebec. That's not to say they couldn't have picked up a goalie on the free agent market or through another trade (Belfour, maybe). They still would have had a damn good team.

There was talk the year before, that Serge Savard was very close to dealing Roy to Quebec for Fist and Nolan. This was out of Savard's mouth as I remember. How the deal wasn't made,or why, I'm not sure. I've always found it hard to believe but that's the story.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
There was talk the year before, that Serge Savard was very close to dealing Roy to Quebec for Fist and Nolan. This was out of Savard's mouth as I remember. How the deal wasn't made,or why, I'm not sure. I've always found it hard to believe but that's the story.
Wasnt he fired before it could have been made? :dunno: Thats what I heard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad